Argos want to host Ticats at Labour Day classic

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

“I’m sure Hamilton’s going to fight like hell, but when you think about it, it’s common sense,” Braley, the owner of the Argos and B.C. Lions, said on Wednesday. “It should alternate between the two cities each year.”
This makes sense to me, but he wants everything (Coaches Dinner, Awards Show, etc) to be hosted in TO. That is too much concentration..just because you are the country's largest city doesn't mean you deserve all the big events.

Full Article
David
Team Captain

Reason #246 why Ottawa can't come back soon enough: CFL rivalries are becoming diluted. Okay, there's still a passionate hate-on between Wpg and Sask, but due to the fact teams are playing their rivals sometimes 6X a season with preseason and playoffs, I'm finding even the Battle Of Alberta a bit forced. Did you notice how few Eskimo fans bothered to make the trek down to Calgary today? I'm willing to bet there were more BC fans in Toronto Friday night!

Sure, you can rotate the home field each Labour Day between Hamilton and Toronto, but until we bring another team(s) into the fold (ergo, the Argos and Ti-Cats don't see each other as often) and Toronto gets more exciting/competitive, I don't see that game resonating with Argo fans all that much.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was listening to the Stampeder broadcast crew for latter parts of the game. They too opined the Stampeder/Eskimo rivalry might not be what it used to be and that Saskatchewan had perhaps supplanted the Esks as Calgary's most bitter rival due in part to the significant presence of Rider fans at McMahon.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I was listening to the Stampeder broadcast crew for latter parts of the game. They too opined the Stampeder/Eskimo rivalry might not be what it used to be and that Saskatchewan had perhaps supplanted the Esks as Calgary's most bitter rival due in part to the significant presence of Rider fans at McMahon.
What is interesting is that Calgary claims SSK as bitter rivals. WPG still sees them as such. BC even considers SSK their #1 nemesis. Anyone else hate SSK? IF SSK is the rival for all these teams, what did they do to garner this much hatred? and what does it say about the other matchups in the league?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I am itching to have the Bombers back in the West. That is one fix I see for these rivalries. Division games seem bigger. This back2backer with the Argos is seemingly more important because of their potential crossover (that seems highly unlikely due to BC/Sask changes). Would hosting anything in Toronto draw over 20 thousand on a labour day. Certainly the Lions weren't what it would take, maybe the Ticats just because of proximity....
dpoe
Starter

LFITQ wrote:
Hambone wrote:I was listening to the Stampeder broadcast crew for latter parts of the game. They too opined the Stampeder/Eskimo rivalry might not be what it used to be and that Saskatchewan had perhaps supplanted the Esks as Calgary's most bitter rival due in part to the significant presence of Rider fans at McMahon.
What is interesting is that Calgary claims SSK as bitter rivals. WPG still sees them as such. BC even considers SSK their #1 nemesis. Anyone else hate SSK? IF SSK is the rival for all these teams, what did they do to garner this much hatred? and what does it say about the other matchups in the league?
They have ugly uniforms...
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

dpoe wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
They have ugly uniforms...
Who, the wheaties? Whatever feelings about the team (and their fans) I always thought they were one of the best uniforms in the league, either the current ones or the old ones (I refuse to utter the words "retro" or "classic" except in derision). Calgary's, on the other hand, just get uglier and uglier. Those red socks yesterday were the last straw :puke:
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
Do people have more hatred for the Riders or is it their annoying fanbase?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
I'd say a bit of both (order may vary).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
LFITQ wrote:

For me its a small minority of their fanbase. Many of their fans are great CFL fans, IMO. The kind that realize that their team is nothing without the other teams. But, that small minority grates me. Every team has that kind of fan, I just find that the Rider version is particulary annoying, IMO.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote: Do people have more hatred for the Riders or is it their annoying fanbase?
Down deep I still like the Riders... growing up they were my second favorite team. Later I spent 10 years living in Saskatchewan. I cheered just as loudly as anyone in 1989 when Ridgeway kicked the winner and I joined the celebration in "downtown" Saskatoon. But it has become harder to like the Riders in recent years. It was easier to appreciate their fans when they were simply loyal to a bunch of lovable losers. The smallest amount of success leads to extreme arrogance for some of "Rider Nation".

But of any of our three division opponents, I would say I enjoy beating the Riders most of all. Especially in the playoffs!