O-Line Scenarios

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

Rammer wrote:I can't see McGrath and Reid not getting starting reps, as both are being paid starting dollars.
And if Newman was not going to start why resign him?

That is 4 positions on the Oline, and Olifaye was the best Olinemen in 2010.

Looks like it is a race for the depth slots on the roster.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:What I don't understand is how the Lions said prior to last year's TC that Reid was only coming to camp to compete at the back up spot yet now he is coming to TC as the starter? What am I missing here.
Reid knows not to catch the pass on a screen play and then hand it off to the running back.
Oh thanks for that memory! Ouch! That was a rather weird play, considering his assignment was to go block for the RB,l why would he become a receiver all of a sudden? :bang:
We're paying Reid a starting salary but we also need to develop a center. Right now, Valli will back up at center and compete for a guard position. As for Valli's brain fart, in catching a screen pass, one play should not take away from Valli's play. Valli started for us as a guard in 2009 and he generally played well for his first season as a starter. It wasn't an easy task for Valli to play center and make line calls, with all the changes we were making to our offensive line last season, when Valli was in there.

Perhaps we should consider starting Valli in O'Neil Wilson's position...at least he might be a greater threat for YAC after a catch.. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Great seeing all the different viewpoints... Very rare to have this sort of situation.. Intriguing, really.
Something to consider: Jesse Newman played LG beside Ben Archibald in Calgary from 2008-2009.. Perhaps some chemistry there.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
joe kapp22
Legend

korey&dante4ever wrote:Great seeing all the different viewpoints... Very rare to have this sort of situation.. Intriguing, really.
Something to consider: Jesse Newman played LG beside Ben Archibald in Calgary from 2008-2009.. Perhaps some chemistry there.
Have to like the fact that unlike last season, we are heading into 2011 with a much better, experienced Offencive Line.

Last offseason Oline and porous Defence were the two main worries, this yr it is more or less just depth questions and that is before the draft and the Tryout Camp guys come in for a look. :rockin:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If you watch Jesse Newman at practice, next to some of the giants in the O Line, he does not look all that big. He kind of slouches when standing around. And yet they list him at 6'4" and 305 lbs.

I've never focused on watching him play. I don't think he got many snaps last year with the Lions, did he? We had JonHR at left guard and Sherko at right guard.

I know Newman was drafted third overall, just after Tsoumpas second overall in their draft year.

Has anyone watched his play closely? What are your impressions of his skill, his explosion, his mobility, etc.?

I'm very happy to have him on our roster. I just haven't seen enough to know if he should be ahead of Hameister-Ries, or even Valli or Jones on our depth chart. Valli was also a very high draft pick, and IMO has a stronger physique (the girth factor) for O Line play; his problem is more of a learning to relax in the heat of battle thing, IMO. The Lions must have liked Jones a lot to give him the starting left guard spot out of camp last year.

In any case, I very much like our depth. The pieces will fall into place where they will. And I am hoping Dorazio settles things quickly, and keeps things clear and simple for all involved.
d1player
prospect

Archibald/Hameister-Ries/Reid/Olifaye/McGrath. The line up will more then likely look like this. I see people are saying McGrath is the odd man out. To me that makes zero sense, when he started at right takle we went 7-3. He played the best out of all of the line. I don't remember him even giving up a sack. I also see people high on Newman, he really has not done anything to deserve the praise. He didnt beat out anyone when he got here, and he started only because of Sherko going down. Therefore What makes people think he is a lock to start.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

d1player wrote:Archibald/Hameister-Ries/Reid/Olifaye/McGrath. The line up will more then likely look like this. I see people are saying McGrath is the odd man out. To me that makes zero sense, when he started at right takle we went 7-3. He played the best out of all of the line. I don't remember him even giving up a sack. I also see people high on Newman, he really has not done anything to deserve the praise. He didnt beat out anyone when he got here, and he started only because of Sherko going down. Therefore What makes people think he is a lock to start.
Archibald/Newman/Reid/Olafioye/McGrath

If Buono is serious about winning the Cup at home, that starting 5 gives you your best shot. Yeah, you've got 2 NI on there, but how can you not start Olafioye after his performance last season?

How do you not start Archibald and Newman after going through the effort required to acquire them?

Obviously, chemistry played a role in Newman not starting, as the oline was starting to come together as he was brought into the fold.
Rammer
Team Captain

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
d1player wrote:Archibald/Hameister-Ries/Reid/Olifaye/McGrath. The line up will more then likely look like this. I see people are saying McGrath is the odd man out. To me that makes zero sense, when he started at right takle we went 7-3. He played the best out of all of the line. I don't remember him even giving up a sack. I also see people high on Newman, he really has not done anything to deserve the praise. He didnt beat out anyone when he got here, and he started only because of Sherko going down. Therefore What makes people think he is a lock to start.
Archibald/Newman/Reid/Olafioye/McGrath

If Buono is serious about winning the Cup at home, that starting 5 gives you your best shot. Yeah, you've got 2 NI on there, but how can you not start Olafioye after his performance last season?

How do you not start Archibald and Newman after going through the effort required to acquire them?

Obviously, chemistry played a role in Newman not starting, as the oline was starting to come together as he was brought into the fold.
You have the right starters as I see it, but by my calculations Newman, Reid and McGrath give you three starting NI's.
Entertainment value = an all time low