Trade Yonus Davis for...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

Well, I've been thinking about this a bit, and Yonus is not contract happy, BC needs a Rush DE:

Yonus Davis for Larry Taylor and Chima Ihekwoaba?

Trestman has shelved Taylor, we could use a young passrushing DE.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal already has a pretty good returner in Maypray
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

you're a gd genius.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Trade him and face a lynch mob, methinks.

Upgrade his contract.

Do a better job of finding our own rush end. We've done it quite a few times before.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Cam Wake/Stefan Logan/God

Nothing less than that...........
David
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:Well, I've been thinking about this a bit...
Obviously not enough. :wink:

Seriously, trade our most exciting player and arguably our best kick/punt returner in years?? I have faith that Roy Shivers will find us a defensive end in the off-season. Failing that DE Jeremy Geathers was given high praise by Jonathan Brown before blowing out his knee in his first game as a Lion. I am sure he'll be back to compete for a position in training camp.

And sorry to be the pin in your balloon, but the Als already cut Larry Taylor last week.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Trade him and face a lynch mob, methinks.

Upgrade his contract.

Do a better job of finding our own rush end. We've done it quite a few times before.
Well, what I had in mind is, Davis is likely to try and bolt, Taylor isn't, and Chima is a ratio buster.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
pennw
Legend

...or just play Davis next season a whole lot more in the regular offence . This season it needs to be kept in perspective that it would have been Jamal Robertson replaced by Davis . IMO Robertson was a pretty good RB himself . Broke many good long runs , good catching the pass out of the backfield . How good is Davis catching passes ? Maybe we'll see next season .
Shivers did a pretty good job finding linebackers this past off season , why should we think he could not turn his focus on DE's ? We've had some pretty good ones here before , why could it not be done again ? A little early to panic and trade away a top player like Davis . If we did , then would we be in that "we got to find a good returner " mode ?
How about we just let Shivers do some more scouting before we go making foolish trades ? He does have a whole off season to do that now after all .
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

no one.
Rammer
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:

Upgrade his contract.

Well, what I had in mind is, Davis is likely to try and bolt, Taylor isn't, and Chima is a ratio buster.
Well then why trade Davis, when Taylor is available for a contract.
Entertainment value = an all time low
ziggy
Legend

Trades are pretty rare in the CFL. GM's seem to wait until the player is cut or his contract runs out and then sign them.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This is an area where I think my attitude needs to change. Pro football is different than a lot of the other sports. You can do the loyal player thing and not get what you are worth. Then when you do get paid, you get cut because there is a young buck who can do it for less cash. My old attitude towards vocal contract complainers was 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. Now I'm leaning towards players getting what they can, while they can. Davis was certainly one of the bright spots on my season ticket investment this season. Now the price of that has gone up enough as it is but Davis deserves a raise, IMO.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:

Upgrade his contract.

I hear ya, ed.

But the old wisdom says the winner of any trade is the team that gets the best player. That would be the Alouettes by a country mile. IMO we have not even seen the full potential of Yonus Davis.

Dunno if Yonus can bolt (don't know his contract details, which are probably one more year with the Lions). But if Wally is proactive, a big IF at times IMO, he will do what he can to give Yonus fair pay for his ability, and for what he means to the fans.

Chima would be a nice addition to the roster, but not at anywhere near that cost. IMO ...

I expect Roy can find rush ends to satisfy our needs. I suspect we might even have had one here (Brandon Sharpe). I have to wonder if there is a disconnect between what Wally wants in a rush end, what Rich Stuber wants, and what Roy sees as talent. We went through an unusual number of tryouts in the fall, and all were found wanting by someone in the organization. Meanwhile we were short staffed in the D Line with seeming reluctance to use Richard Jones. It was very perplexing and annoying to see as a fan. We will see if the disconnect continues next year. IMO ...
joe kapp22
Legend

Agree with you on Sharper, I'd love to know what happened but he has not said a word, I suspect it was due to the 500 dollar check..:D

Chima has that ratio busting lineage, and we have a crowded backfield, add in Martell Mallet was just waived by the Browns off of their practice squad and perhaps Davis would see even less of a role in the offence?

That and Al's just shut Taylor down for the year, the 09 leader in total yards and he was sent home.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:Agree with you on Sharper, I'd love to know what happened but he has not said a word, I suspect it was due to the 500 dollar check..:D

Chima has that ratio busting lineage, and we have a crowded backfield, add in Martell Mallet was just waived by the Browns off of their practice squad and perhaps Davis would see even less of a role in the offence?

That and Al's just shut Taylor down for the year, the 09 leader in total yards and he was sent home.
We do seem to have too many talented assets at NI running back (Lee, Messam, Harris). Trade material? Value in return?

We are lacking in NI depth at D Line. It looks to me like we really need to focus on this in the next draft. A guy of the level of Foley, Shologan, etc.

Mallett is a terrific runner for the CFL. Dunno if JC would utilize him as Kruck and Dorazio did however.