Was it a bad pass interference call

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dieter
Rookie

The pass interference against the Lions along the sidelines, I think it was early in the 4th quarter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was second down and extended a drive that led to a Riders TD.

They never showed a replay on the broadcast and it was hardly discussed by the announcers on TV. It looked to my like the defender was jumping straight up and just trying to make a play on the ball.

Like I said, correct me if I am wrong, I usually am :popcorn:

But was it a bad call and did the Lions get screwed? (in a bad way)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Dieter wrote:The pass interference against the Lions along the sidelines, I think it was early in the 4th quarter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was second down and extended a drive that led to a Riders TD.

They never showed a replay on the broadcast and it was hardly discussed by the announcers on TV. It looked to my like the defender was jumping straight up and just trying to make a play on the ball.

Absofrickenlutely. Changed the entire momentum of the game. Marsh jumped up for the ball and hardly grazed the receiver. P*ss poor call as was the failure to call any Sask receiver offside.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Well, if the history is the same as what happened with the Blue Bombers this year: The Lions will get an apology from Higgins for an incorrect call.

The Bombers got 3 such apologies from Higgins this year.

It wouldn't suprise me if there was a close or bad call on a PI. There was one in the TiCat game as well.
pennw
Legend

I thought so too .
Blitz
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Dieter wrote:The pass interference against the Lions along the sidelines, I think it was early in the 4th quarter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was second down and extended a drive that led to a Riders TD.

Absofrickenlutely. Changed the entire momentum of the game. Marsh jumped up for the ball and hardly grazed the receiver. P*ss poor call as was the failure to call any Sask receiver offside.
I thought it was a bad call too...and it hurt at the time. Marsh looked like he had purrfect position.

With regard to your comments about the Ridrers receivers being offside, sometimes the human eye sees the football a split second afer it's snapped . The receivers, who are lined up 7 yards back, running forward hard, are trying to time it perfectly. Its often a close call for offside and the refs have a tough call.

However, yesterday, I thought the Riders receivers were really getting an edge ...and it appeared like they were offside a number of times and got away with it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Mikemike
All Star

Blue In BC wrote:The Bombers got 3 such apologies from Higgins this year.
Maybe if we can collect enough of them we can make them into a banner and hang it in the rafters of BC Place?

CFL is great on many levels: fans rock, game rocks, gameplay rocks. The one sore spot seems to be the officiating; replay was one big improvement, but there needs to be others on the man level. I really think that some officiating crews have a bias towards certain QB's and certain teams. That souldn't be happening, it taints an otherwise great game.

The Riders fans are the best in the league, hat's off, no complaints, but they just don't understand this aspect of what happened. I was really wondering if WB was going to call out the officials after the game just like Mike Holmgren justifiabily did after Superbowl XL.

I sort of always have felt bad for our win against Baltamore in the 94 Grey Cup. The officials weren't fair in that game and I have always felt shame about it as a BCfan. It's not a good feeling to know that you didn't exactly win on a level field.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Interesting perspective on the 94 game. Have never heard it particularly articulated that way but I was never completely happy with the Alexander catch that took us down field and eventually that gain in field position cost Baltimore the game. Don't remember much else of a blatant nature. I suppose the Ham fumble could be argued.

As for the Marsh call, I did think that was completely bogus and said so at the time. He was totally going for the ball and isn't the defender just as entitled to his space as Dressler is?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
nelson95
Legend

I was listening on the radio at that point and Guilo called it a PI
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mikemike wrote:
I was really wondering if WB was going to call out the officials after the game just like Mike Holmgren justifiabily did after Superbowl XL.
The question whether he thinks the Riders receivers were offside was posed to Wally on Team 1040. Wally said he stands right next to the official on the sideline and doesn't think the Riders were offside.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:The question whether he thinks the Riders receivers were offside was posed to Wally on Team 1040. Wally said he stands right next to the official on the sideline and doesn't think the Riders were offside.
I heard that. You can bet that he would have been in the official's ear if he thought the Riders got away with anything, but he seemed to have no complaints about the officiating.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The question whether he thinks the Riders receivers were offside was posed to Wally on Team 1040. Wally said he stands right next to the official on the sideline and doesn't think the Riders were offside.
I heard that. You can bet that he would have been in the official's ear if he thought the Riders got away with anything, but he seemed to have no complaints about the officiating.
Chances are the Lion receivers are doing the same thing. And in real time, it's a hard call to make.

I think they called the bump as Marsh was jumping over the back of Dressler. I've seen a lot less called and I've seen a lot more not called. Dressler did do a good sell job to the officials, and, they bought it.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

IMO it was definitely a bad call. Marsh was totally playing the ball and, if anything the SK receiver got in his way. What really got though, was did March not tip it to another Lion? Would this not have been an interception as well? I think this was the real turning point in the game and led to a very crucial touchdown.