Introduce yourselves

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lusiphur067
prospect

Hey Y'all... Longtime US football fan who has only recently discovered the uniqueness of the Canadian game. For some reason my loyalty gravitated towards the Lions(I think it's the orange. Syracuse, Virginia, Oregon State, the Browns. It's all about the orange) even though it's on the other side of the continent from CLE, OH. Still learning the nuances of the CFL but I gotta say I'm really enjoying the process! Having watched the better part of two seasons I think the biggest disparity in talent between the CFL and NFL is on defense. Not sure if it's ability, coaching, the one yard off the ball, or the wider field but CFL DBs and LBs often seem out of position. Offensively I admire the creativity of the schemes and the fact that it's a pass heavy league. Who doesn't like a good aerial shootout? GO LIONS!!!

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Welcome. Always nice to hear an "outsider" perspective on our league.

David
MVP
MVP

lusiphur067 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 am
Hey Y'all... Longtime US football fan who has only recently discovered the uniqueness of the Canadian game. For some reason my loyalty gravitated towards the Lions(I think it's the orange. Syracuse, Virginia, Oregon State, the Browns. It's all about the orange) even though it's on the other side of the continent from CLE, OH. Still learning the nuances of the CFL but I gotta say I'm really enjoying the process! Having watched the better part of two seasons I think the biggest disparity in talent between the CFL and NFL is on defense. Not sure if it's ability, coaching, the one yard off the ball, or the wider field but CFL DBs and LBs often seem out of position. Offensively I admire the creativity of the schemes and the fact that it's a pass heavy league. Who doesn't like a good aerial shootout? GO LIONS!!!
Welcome lusiphur067! Thanks for your thoughtful post and good taste in football teams. :wink:

You are right, the talent disparity is not as great as many assume, given the wide gap in salaries. Players who come up here from NFL stints are generally shocked by the speed, skill, and general athleticism up here. Lots of guys come up "to get me some film" and head back down south, only to gain a healthy respect for the level of play up here (many who do make it end up staying, some even reside in the off-season).

I concur though, there is a chasm in certain positions. I find the tackling is not as good in the CFL. Lots of missed tackles. Defensive tackles are generally not as stout either, so I've noticed that it is generally easier for running back to get past the first layer than in the NFL.

DH :cool:

Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.
Murdoch
Starter

Greetings once again Lionbackers. Formerly posted as doncorleone but had trouble logging on so went back through the process. Maybe Rick Campbell getting rid of fans who cheered for DC89, whom I hopes resurfaces once again and proves he is legit. Not sure where that would be though.

I'm a CFL fan at this point with roots as a Bomber fan. First game I ever saw was the 64 Grey Cup. Not every game was on tv in those days but I do remember Bill Muncy and the three touchdowns. Was surprised many years later to find out that he was not the main running back. Rewatched it on youtube a few years ago and was amazed at what a good game it was. Bernie Faloney , Joe Zuger at linebacker, Tommy Joe must have been there as well. Muncy, Joe Kapp, and Willie Fleming were some of the Lions that stood out. Been a fan ever since.

D
MVP
MVP

Welcome back! :beer:

I own The Grey Cup! .com