'Printers Trusts Us'-Key to Success According to Buono

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Trust is a major factor for Printers according to this National Post article as our Leos ready for the Eastern Final

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Printers has not thrown for fewer than 330 yards in any of the three full games in which he has started since his return. The 28-year-old threw for 360 yards -- including the game-winning touchdown--in a dramatic overtime win over Hamilton in the East Division semi-final last weekend.

"He trusts us," Buono said. "I don't know why. I'm not saying that in a negative way. But Casey comes in, and he trusts us. So when we tell him stuff, he trusts us. I don't know, once he left here, if he ever got to where he trusted what he was being told."

He has reason to trust Buono. Printers has never played better than he did in 2004, but showed glimpses last weekend; buying time in the pocket, making smart decisions with the ball and trusting his receivers would run the correct routes.

The Lions do not have the flashiest offence or the stoutest defence. The Alouettes (under head coach Marc Trestman) are the unquestionably dominant team. Hamilton, under Marcel Bellefeuille, are the best turnaround story, and Saskatchewan, under Ken Miller, won enough games to host its first division final in a generation.

But none of those coaches had to reach as deep as No. 5 on their depth chart for a healthy starting quarterback, and none had to replace the star power the Lions lost. Buono, under contract to coach only through next season, turned those hurdles into a bridge to the post-season.

"I don't think people really realize that we have a pretty good football team, and that some of the ups and downs were caused by having to change quarterbacks every couple of weeks," Lions owner David Braley said. "I don't think Montreal will take us lightly."

Courtesy: www.nationalpost.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Gerry
Legend

Blitz wrote:Trust is a major factor for Printers according to this National Post article as our Leos ready for the Eastern Final

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Printers has not thrown for fewer than 330 yards in any of the three full games in which he has started since his return. The 28-year-old threw for 360 yards -- including the game-winning touchdown--in a dramatic overtime win over Hamilton in the East Division semi-final last weekend.

"He trusts us," Buono said. "I don't know why. I'm not saying that in a negative way. But Casey comes in, and he trusts us. So when we tell him stuff, he trusts us. I don't know, once he left here, if he ever got to where he trusted what he was being told."

He has reason to trust Buono. Printers has never played better than he did in 2004, but showed glimpses last weekend; buying time in the pocket, making smart decisions with the ball and trusting his receivers would run the correct routes.
There is no doubt that Printers looks better with WB on the sidelines. Whatever it is, I hope they can continue with it tomorrow.
The Lions do not have the flashiest offence or the stoutest defence. The Alouettes (under head coach Marc Trestman) are the unquestionably dominant team. Hamilton, under Marcel Bellefeuille, are the best turnaround story, and Saskatchewan, under Ken Miller, won enough games to host its first division final in a generation.

But none of those coaches had to reach as deep as No. 5 on their depth chart for a healthy starting quarterback, and none had to replace the star power the Lions lost. Buono, under contract to coach only through next season, turned those hurdles into a bridge to the post-season.
This a nice acknowledgement of what Buono has been able to do this season.
"I don't think people really realize that we have a pretty good football team, and that some of the ups and downs were caused by having to change quarterbacks every couple of weeks," Lions owner David Braley said. "I don't think Montreal will take us lightly."

Courtesy: http://www.nationalpost.com
I'm glad that Braley recognizes that the musical chairs at the QB position are why we finished fourth. It's very fortunate that WB was able to get Printers when he needed him, and that CP has been able to perform.
Enough is enough.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:"I don't think people really realize that we have a pretty good football team, and that some of the ups and downs were caused by having to change quarterbacks every couple of weeks," Lions owner David Braley said.
David Braley is showing his tremendous patience and wisdom. I'm just sorry that he wasn't rewarded with a home playoff game this year after all he has given to the team and the league.
David
Team Captain

I also admire the man for sitting among the hoi polloi at Ivor Wynne last week wearing his Lion colours, with his wife beside him in her classic mountain lion scarf. It brought a smile to my face.

That's passion!

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I also admire the man for sitting among the hoi polloi at Ivor Wynne last week wearing his Lion colours, with his wife beside him in her classic mountain lion scarf. It brought a smile to my face.
What courage, sitting in those stands. Amazing. I can't help but imagine sitting there like that. I could "feel" beer bottles being thrown at us. Cussing. Threats. Challenges to fight. LOL What a zoo. What primitive fans. Almost sounding like British hooligan soccer fans. If I was as rich as Braley I would be surrounded by body guards. Ha ha. Honestly, I have a hard time thinking I would ever sit there as Braley does, especially when we hear some of the horror stories being told by fans of visiting teams. Hats off to Braley.

As courageous as Braley is, he still looks kind of nervous to me, sitting there. And his wife must be thinking: "Oh my god, what I do for this man. Please, Lord, let me survive for the sake of my grand children."

I have the greatest admiration for David Braley as an owner, and as a builder for the CFL. Hall of Fame stuff, IMO.
MacNews
Team Captain

David wrote:I also admire the man for sitting among the hoi polloi at Ivor Wynne last week wearing his Lion colours, with his wife beside him in her classic mountain lion scarf. It brought a smile to my face.

That's passion!

DH
Only David Braley would have the cojones, as a millionaire owner, to sit in the bleachers and not a stuffy box! :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heck, with his size he could take care of himself. He was a lineman in college.
obs
Champion

Braley was also the guy who said "Pardon me?", like he didn't want to see Printers in a Lions uniform again, when asked on a 1040 interview about Printers coming back.
QB Club 63
All Star

obs wrote:Braley was also the guy who said "Pardon me?", like he didn't want to see Printers in a Lions uniform again, when asked on a 1040 interview about Printers coming back.
That is true, but you must acknowledge that Braley didn't say "never". He meant "at that time".

The thing I like most about Braley is that he does not meddle. He allows Wally to run the club his own way, and didn't we hear Wally say much the same thing at that time?

There were many folks out there who were on the "No Casey" bandwagon, and I will count myself among them. The quarterback we saw in Hamilton was hardly an effective player, and there was no way that Casy Printers could have helped the BC Lions. But isn't it reassuring to know that people can change? That stuff like adversity, experience, and maturity can have an effect on how people perform and contribute?

This Casey Printers is clearly not the same guy who blustered and bragged his way into Hamilton, promising to become the key to turning that woeful team into contenders. This Casey Printers is obviously the right fit at the right time.

And if anyone thinks that makes me a hypocrite then that's your problem, not mine. I prefer to believe that people can change for the better and I am willing to accept that they can grow. :2cents:
Gerry
Legend

QB Club 63 wrote:
obs wrote:Braley was also the guy who said "Pardon me?", like he didn't want to see Printers in a Lions uniform again, when asked on a 1040 interview about Printers coming back.
That is true, but you must acknowledge that Braley didn't say "never". He meant "at that time".

The thing I like most about Braley is that he does not meddle. He allows Wally to run the club his own way, and didn't we hear Wally say much the same thing at that time?

There were many folks out there who were on the "No Casey" bandwagon, and I will count myself among them. The quarterback we saw in Hamilton was hardly an effective player, and there was no way that Casy Printers could have helped the BC Lions. But isn't it reassuring to know that people can change? That stuff like adversity, experience, and maturity can have an effect on how people perform and contribute?

This Casey Printers is clearly not the same guy who blustered and bragged his way into Hamilton, promising to become the key to turning that woeful team into contenders. This Casey Printers is obviously the right fit at the right time.

And if anyone thinks that makes me a hypocrite then that's your problem, not mine. I prefer to believe that people can change for the better and I am willing to accept that they can grow. :2cents:
You're not a hypocrite as far as I'm concerned. I agree with you almost 100%. Where I am still on the fence is as to whether CP is the right fit for the long term. He is obviously a good fit right now because we have no other healthy experienced quarterbacks, but how will he fit in with other capable QBs vying for the same position? He is the undisputed number 1 today, and next week, if we make it that far. Next year, and his ability to fit in as a part of a team is still in question as far as I'm concerned. If he's well ahead of his competitors and he's the undisputed number one guy that will play to his ego and there will be no problem. But if he gets hurt and someone fills in very well in his absence and he has to sit a bit, will there be some of that same 05 BS we went through before? I don't know.
Enough is enough.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:Next year, and his ability to fit in as a part of a team is still in question as far as I'm concerned. If he's well ahead of his competitors and he's the undisputed number one guy that will play to his ego and there will be no problem. But if he gets hurt and someone fills in very well in his absence and he has to sit a bit, will there be some of that same 05 BS we went through before? I don't know.
Hypothetical question, Gerry.

Whether we win today or not, or next week if it comes to that ...

Let's say Casey plays well again today ... would you as GM bring him back next year?
But if he gets hurt and someone fills in very well in his absence and he has to sit a bit, will there be some of that same 05 BS we went through before? I don't know.
Would your doubts about him mean you don't bring him back?

At what point does one decide? Would you rather he was not here now? Would you rather he was not brought back next year?

I am obviously a believer in Casey. But I accept that not everyone is.
Gerry
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Gerry wrote:Next year, and his ability to fit in as a part of a team is still in question as far as I'm concerned. If he's well ahead of his competitors and he's the undisputed number one guy that will play to his ego and there will be no problem. But if he gets hurt and someone fills in very well in his absence and he has to sit a bit, will there be some of that same 05 BS we went through before? I don't know.
Hypothetical question, Gerry.

Whether we win today or not, or next week if it comes to that ...

Let's say Casey plays well again today ... would you as GM bring him back next year?
But if he gets hurt and someone fills in very well in his absence and he has to sit a bit, will there be some of that same 05 BS we went through before? I don't know.
Would your doubts about him mean you don't bring him back?

At what point does one decide? Would you rather he was not here now? Would you rather he was not brought back next year?

I am obviously a believer in Casey. But I accept that not everyone is.
I don't know enough to be able to answer that. Only Buono does. It depends on how he feels about Pierce and his contract. Pierce is our only other clear starter, IMO. Jackson is a back-up that can and will start and do well for us if called upon. He has shown that he will do whatever is asked of him. Lulay has shown promise.

If the verdict is that Pierce cannot continue with the Lions for one reason or another then Printers fits in a bit better. If Wally is happy with Printer's attitude and progress I don't doubt that he will be here next year. He seems to be quite happy with him now.

I'm certainly glad that CP is here now. I'm happy for him and for the team. Printers and the BC Lions needed each other at exactly the right time for both parties. It could be very, very good. It is good right now. I just hope that it continues to be. I'm just not as sure as the rest of you.
Enough is enough.
The_Pauser
Legend

Funny story...Wally Buono says he regrets not bringing Printers in sooner. This would be, oh...probably around the same time I was calling for it?
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:
I don't know enough to be able to answer that. Only Buono does. It depends on how he feels about Pierce and his contract. Pierce is our only other clear starter, IMO. Jackson is a back-up that can and will start and do well for us if called upon. He has shown that he will do whatever is asked of him. Lulay has shown promise.

If the verdict is that Pierce cannot continue with the Lions for one reason or another then Printers fits in a bit better. If Wally is happy with Printer's attitude and progress I don't doubt that he will be here next year. He seems to be quite happy with him now.

I'm certainly glad that CP is here now. I'm happy for him and for the team. Printers and the BC Lions needed each other at exactly the right time for both parties. It could be very, very good. It is good right now. I just hope that it continues to be. I'm just not as sure as the rest of you.
I understand what you say, Gerry. Fair enough.

I wanted Buono to bring him back. I was unsure if Casey could re-capture the magic of 2004. He has surpassed my hopes on the field in his return. Much surpassed.

I had not thought he was a bad guy in his first time around. As for off the field he has surpassed my hopes there as well.

I had more doubts about the football side of things than the attitude side. I trusted Wally's judgment of Casey's character. Wally said he was not a problem before. Wally kept contact with him after he left Kansas City. Wally even counseled him to some degree about hanging in there, waiting for the opportunity, et cetera.