Time to give Printers his due

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

TheZeppo wrote:
Area51 wrote:Big ups to Printers for such a great game today. Can't really find anything he did wrong - - even most of his incompletions were throw aways to avoid the sack.

He did make a lot of good decisions today. However, he still has a tendency to
force the ball deep even when his receiver is covered. His decision to do this
with two minutes left could have cost us today's game. The Lions were second and
four at their own 45, and Printers threw a ball up for Simon on the far sideline, even
though he was closely covered by a Ti-cat. Not the smartest call in that situation.
After the incompletion, the Lions had to punt, giving the ball back to Hamilton
with a minute and a half left.
But you have to admit, he did what only great QB's do in that situation: He threw it where ONLY Geroy could make a play on it. If Geroy hadn't lost site of it and could have found it sooner, I bet he makes that catch. Watch the replay. Geroy turns in instead of out at first. Then he struggles to find the ball and only gets one hand out for it at the last moment. He turns out initially and i bet it is a catch and a first down and we are all screaming about how GREAT a play it was.

One thing that Casey has seemed to be able to do is get Chap to let him throw the ball and let the receivers MAKE plays. We see it occasionally with Jarious, we don't see it often with Buck. Notice how many times we have been talking about a great catch or play by one or more receivers each game of late?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Area51
All Star

TheZeppo wrote:
with two minutes left could have cost us today's game. The Lions were second and
four at their own 45, and Printers threw a ball up for Simon on the far sideline, even
though he was closely covered by a Ti-cat. Not the smartest call in that situation.

That was as close to a purrfect pass as you'll see. Printers dropped it in right where it needed to be - - problem was Geroy turned inside and then had to spin back around to get to the ball. Not sure if Geroy lost it for a second or what, but had he turned to the sidelines it's a catch and the nail in the coffin.

Can't really pin that one on Casey - - especially when so many times we've seen the offence go ultra conservative with runs into the middle of the line and then give the ball back and have the other team come down and score. I'll live with the agressive approach anyday.
The_Pauser
Legend

Area51 wrote:
That was as close to a purrfect pass as you'll see. Printers dropped it in right where it needed to be - - problem was Geroy turned inside and then had to spin back around to get to the ball. Not sure if Geroy lost it for a second or what, but had he turned to the sidelines it's a catch and the nail in the coffin.

Can't really pin that one on Casey - - especially when so many times we've seen the offence go ultra conservative with runs into the middle of the line and then give the ball back and have the other team come down and score. I'll live with the agressive approach anyday.
I agree...that was definitely one Geroy should have had, and normally would have caught. Not going to blame Casey on that one at all...
Roar you Lions roar!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

have no problem giving printers his due, just not quite sure what it is yet
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Area51
All Star

Rammer wrote:My question on the game would be what percentage of the play did the Lions control? I am going to say that we had about a 60/40 and still the game goes into OT. We not only need to drastically outplay the opposition, we can't lose the turnover game, otherwise we are in trouble.

As for my little piece in the Sun, the ..."It’s tough to have Casey step in at this point, but he provides a comfort zone. It’ll be interesting to see if the negative side flips a little, now that he’s on the team again.” ... seems to have slightly bumped to the positive side with this win.

I'd give BC a bit more than a 60/40 edge. Not sure if it'd be 75/25, but they were clearly the better team today. They had some issues with false starts and those ones really hurt. Good to think BC can play much better if they can get the line in better synch.

Nice bit in the paper, BTW. Full credit to you for seeing the potential in a Printers return. Really, there was nothing to lose. If he's a distraction or if he's lost his game, you just cut him. It could do nothing but help BC.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Full credit to Printers for his excellent game. I would like to see him take off and run when the defensive backs are dropping off to cover. There were several instances where he could have easily run for first downs. This gives the defence more to worry about.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Area51 wrote:Interesting to look back on some of the threads from earlier this season & last that called for Printers' return. Quite a few people had nothing good to say about Printers and basically ridiculed the idea of him returning to BC.
Guilty. Casey has exceeded all my expectations and played better than in the 2004 season. Props to Wally for bringing him into the mix and getting him ready before the need became critical.
What can you say about Wally falling backwards into the outhouse phecies and coming out smelling like roses?

Must have something to do with "Wally's little voice" that Black was talking about, telling him to accept CP offer to come back for practice roster pay right?
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Full credit to Printers for his excellent game. I would like to see him take off and run when the defensive backs are dropping off to cover. There were several instances where he could have easily run for first downs. This gives the defence more to worry about.
From today's Province

"Casey showed leadership before the game, at halftime and at the end of regulation," said Glover. "There's something about Casey's voice that gives me chills. He's a leader. I love him. I love all these guys.""I think you saw his maturity today," said Geroy Simon. "There was a ton of adversity, a ton of second-and-longs. And he just kept stepping up and delivering the ball where he needed to go."

No doubt Casey Printers stepped up huge. It really was an outstanding performance. His accuracy on his throws throughout the game was impressive. He mostly threw from the pocket, made great reads, distributed the football very well. Guess those who have continuously said that Casey can't read a defense will need to come up with something new..:)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
From today's Province

"Casey showed leadership before the game, at halftime and at the end of regulation," said Glover. "There's something about Casey's voice that gives me chills. He's a leader. I love him. I love all these guys.""I think you saw his maturity today," said Geroy Simon. "There was a ton of adversity, a ton of second-and-longs. And he just kept stepping up and delivering the ball where he needed to go."
Over 300 yards every game. Mobile. Elusive. Strong arm. Throws long and short. From the pocket. On the move. Leadership.

Even those who welcomed his return, such as myself, must think he has delivered even more than one could have hoped.

2004 was no fluke. He lost his way going to Kansas City. And never found it in Hamilton. He has found it again with Wally and the Lions. And his new approach to the media is most welcome. No chip on his shoulder. All good will. As I have said a number of times, I think Casey was always a good guy. He was in a tough position. He was young. He was probably getting poor advice.

I couldn't be happier to see these good things happen for him. :thup:

The results for our team are kind of nice also. :wink:

As the legend goes, Wally always finds a quarterback. One more time. :beer:
Rodu
Champion

I'm surprised Printers and Jackson have not really connected yet. Simon and Casey have a great past, and he's on the same page with Arceneaux. It would be a bonus if PJ could get in on that
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

LFITQ wrote:
TheZeppo wrote:
Area51 wrote:Big ups to Printers for such a great game today. Can't really find anything he did wrong - - even most of his incompletions were throw aways to avoid the sack.

But you have to admit, he did what only great QB's do in that situation: He threw it where ONLY Geroy could make a play on it. If Geroy hadn't lost site of it and could have found it sooner, I bet he makes that catch. Watch the replay. Geroy turns in instead of out at first. Then he struggles to find the ball and only gets one hand out for it at the last moment. He turns out initially and i bet it is a catch and a first down and we are all screaming about how GREAT a play it was.

One thing that Casey has seemed to be able to do is get Chap to let him throw the ball and let the receivers MAKE plays. We see it occasionally with Jarious, we don't see it often with Buck. Notice how many times we have been talking about a great catch or play by one or more receivers each game of late?
I think the offense runs the same plays/schemes. I just think buck was afraid to move the ball downfield, jarious was bored by throwing short. Casey has the skills to make the plays work, long or short. Whereas it seems the others did not.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
obs
Champion

Full credit to Printers for his excellent game. I would like to see him take off and run when the defensive backs are dropping off to cover. There were several instances where he could have easily run for first downs. This gives the defence more to worry about.

Agreed. Printers isn't running as much as I would like to see. How about the old Doug Flutie play, when he would back peddle three or four steps, then take off straight up the middle? If the D-Line are trying to prevent Printers from getting outside, maybe straight up the middle is the way to go.

Adding this play may also get Printers into stepping up into the pocket on passing plays. He seems to avoid this, and always looks to get outside.
Gerry
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:have no problem giving printers his due, just not quite sure what it is yet
:beauty:
Enough is enough.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote: However, he still has a tendency to
force the ball deep even when his receiver is covered.
But you have to admit, he did what only great QB's do in that situation: He threw it where ONLY Geroy could make a play on it. [/quote]

If Casey didn't do plays like this on 2nd and 4 then he wouldn't be the big play maker he is. Without that concept he's just another average qb. On second and four where do you think most of the defenders will be? I'd rather have Casey isolate Geroy one on one then the average alternative. :beauty: