TEAM 1410: Lions new permanent radio home

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Sigh.
SammyGreene wrote:Removing the Lions from 1040 sure sets up what Solar Max has suggested all along TEAM 10Hockey. What would Bob Ackles think of this?
David wrote: They're looking for some instant credibility to launch this new format and are sacrificing the Lions in order to do it. All of which underscores the need to find a high profile team President that can stand up and say, "this is wrong."

DH
I don't like doing this, but sometimes ya gotta.

I told you so.
cromartie wrote:If the Lions were going to be shunted off and treated as the wicked stepsister, they might as well have stayed on 'NW.
Jim Mullin wrote:That stepsister may not be as wicked as you think in 2010. :wink:
There is no way in hell that Corus is going to devote only a half hour to the Lions pre and post game when they get the contract back; everyone learns from their mistakes, except for the genii at team10hockey. Corus knows that they will have to provide a first class product to listeners THIS TIME, because the loss of the Lions was the chink in the armour that eventually caused the lord our God Nuckies to leave too...along with Corus arrogance.

Corus wants Nuckies back badly, advertising moolah. The only way to do that is to get the Lions, prove their point then get Nuckies back, at which point the Lions will get shafted again.

The two MUST BE on competing networks, They can NEVER co-exist, or the Lions get bent over a kitchen chair. I have been trying to make this point for 3 years now. Guess it's made.

team10hockey handing the Lions to NW though...I never thought it would be this easy.

Scott Rintuol and Matt Sekeres, I will miss you. The rest of you from Blake Price on down at team10hockey...buh-bye. And I will do my best to bad mouth your advertisers. :beer:
LakeLions
Rookie

You guys all seem to think cknw is best for the Lions. Solar Max seems to think the station wil give more than just 30 minute pre and postgame shows when they get the rights back. But seriously, what else is cknw going to do for the Lions?

You all seem to hate on team1040, but they go live to training camp and have plenty of Lions talk during the summer months. Does it drop off once hockey starts? Yes, but what do you expect?

What is cknw going to do? Cut into Bill Good and Cristy Clark for an interview with Casey Printers and Geroy Simon? Give me a break. You may not like team1040, but they still do more for the Lions than any other station out there.
obs
Champion

Does 1410 have a cable FM station?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

LakeLions wrote:You guys all seem to think cknw is best for the Lions. Solar Max seems to think the station wil give more than just 30 minute pre and postgame shows when they get the rights back. But seriously, what else is cknw going to do for the Lions?

You all seem to hate on team1040, but they go live to training camp and have plenty of Lions talk during the summer months. Does it drop off once hockey starts? Yes, but what do you expect?

What is cknw going to do? Cut into Bill Good and Cristy Clark for an interview with Casey Printers and Geroy Simon? Give me a break. You may not like team1040, but they still do more for the Lions than any other station out there.
Not to burst your bubble, but NW had Rick Quinton at the past camps that I have attended, and BMac and Rintoul just talked hockey from the Columbia Bible College during camp. There may have been a small increase in Lions coverage that week, but precious little extra, imo.

As for the half hour shows, pre and post: If you had screwed up that badly in your line of work, then lost everything, then got a chance to come back into the market, would you repeat the same mistakes? Of course you wouldn't.

It was the Canucks that crowded the Lions off Corus in the first place; now for a couple of years anyway, they can be top dog somewhere else (just as they were in 2003-4-5 before the 800 pound gorilla showed up) and get the same treatment that they got when team10hockey was trying to impress people.

Now that Rick Ball has been seduced by the Dark Side, the Lions/Corus will need a new PBP guy. I'd love to see Jim Mullin doing that.
orangegloves
Starter

After having worked in both of the buildings mentioned here, CHUM and Corus there is no way the Lions will go back to Corus. The company has put the halt to spending money of any kind! Do you know how many meetings I was in regarding stickers for CFOX. They couldn't find money or advertisers for stickers to promote their radio stations! You really think they are going to fork out money now for the Lions. Not going to happen!! They are more than happy to let Jon McComb talk and get ratings that way. The guys over at the Team 1040 really care about the Lions trust me, but if you were running a business and you needed money who would you give more priorities to. The one that gives you 82 dates, and as 190000 fans in the building every night and a season ticket waiting list of 50000 or the Lions who have 18 dates to provide you with entertainment and have a season ticket list of 240000 its simple economics. I am a huge Lions fan, hell I've seen them play in 4 different cities this year, and if they cross over I'll be heading to Hamilton, but all of this really isn't worth the paper its written on. If the Team 1040 said sorry we are not even going to bother talking Lions any more then yes I would be upset, but they haven't. ESPN 2 use to be seen as a joke tv station, now look at it, its just as big as ESPN. As far as I am concerned this is a non issue, if the Lions move over to CKNW, and get their half hour pre game show, and 45 min post game show, then it becomes an issue.
LakeLions
Rookie

"now for a couple of years anyway, they can be top dog somewhere else (just as they were in 2003-4-5 before the 800 pound gorilla showed up) and get the same treatment that they got when team10hockey was trying to impress people."

So, if cknw gets the rights back, the Lions will be top dog on that station? But again, how much? Will they fit Geroy into the morning show and Casey into Bill Good's show? not likely.

And great that Rick Quentin goes to training camp. I'm pretty sure taem1040 and news1130 had reporters there, too.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I knew there was a reason I stopped visiting here so often... I see from this and the Giants Dance Team/Felions bit and what not, it's the same old inferiority complex.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote: now for a couple of years anyway, they can be top dog somewhere else (just as they were in 2003-4-5 before the 800 pound gorilla showed up) and get the same treatment that they got when team10hockey was trying to impress people.
The Lions are not on a "new station", not in the old world model of every frequency compete equally against each other. The Lions are on TEAM RADIO on 1410 and the Canucks are on TEAM RADIO on 1040. Both frequencies are the same station, just with a different menu of programming. Try to consider that TEAM RADIO just doubled their schedule. Effectively cramming 48 hours of sports programming into a 24 hour day. The winners are the listeners who have a better selection of sports radio to choose from.

The only drawback to the move to 1410 is that the Lions will not benefit from any "hook and pull" from regular 1040 programming leading directly into a Lions broadcast, such as Pratt & Taylor. By this what I mean is loyal 1040 listeners who just happen to be tuned into the station before the Lions game starts and stay tuned to the game broadcast when they otherwise would not have gone looking for it on the dial. But that only applies to weeknight games as the typical program fare offered on Saturday or Sunday afternoons and evenings is no better than the syndicated stuff that 1410 will have on their schedule.
Bobbyp
Champion

trying to listen online to find out when the pregame starts of course its not working.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
LFITQ
Team Captain

I take all of my objections back. Moving this team off the dial is the best move. At least then they have a hope that some people might still take in a game once or twice knowing nothing about what is happening.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:I take all of my objections back. Moving this team off the dial is the best move. At least then they have a hope that some people might still take in a game once or twice knowing nothing about what is happening.
You are underselling the Lions abilities of drawing a crowd....all they have to do is short yardage play. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
I knew there was a reason I stopped visiting here so often... I see from this and the Giants Dance Team/Felions bit and what not, it's the same old inferiority complex.
Well, don't let us keep you here, by any means. :beer:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The problem with all of this seems very straightforward. It seems that Team1040, Vancouver's Premiere Sports talk radio network can't find space for Vancouvers 2nd largest sports franchise. Why would that be? Well, I guess that CHUM, who owns several broadcast licenses for various radio stations has little old CFUN that in their wisdom they tried to run as an all talk radio station in head to head competition with one of Vancouver's oldest and most venerated talk show stations, CKNW. Surprise, surprise, it was an unsustainable business model so now they have this station, that isn't making money and they have decided to chuck some of their "lesser" lights over to it in hopes of making it fly. It won't by the way. Just like there isn't room for 2 talk radio stations, there won't be room for two sports radio stations and the Lions will end up paying for CHUM's poor business decisions. No matter how good the product is, CFUN will always be 1040's weaker cousin and the station you tune to when 1040 isn't doing something more important. That perception will not benefit the Lions or the CFL who are actively trying to sell their product. CHUM is never going to dedicate the same time and energy to CFUN especially because that would put them in direct competition with themselves at 1040.

I like hockey, but I often get very disgusted with the amount of attention that it is given even in the off season when the Lions are in the main of their season. Frankly, what Carolina gets back for a 4th round draft pick in July means jackS.... to me but it is there in all it's minutia. Hockey and football overlap for 1 month a year yet 1040 can't find some kind of balance. Pretty sad.

Sorry 1040, you have lost some market share methinks.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

If you go to the team today, you'll notice a change in the website. When clicking on "Listen Live" a window will appear with a choice for either number 1040, or 1410. This will be seamless and painless. Much ado about nothing.
nelson95
Legend

I can get 1410 in the wack

not as good as 1040 but as good as 980
Give the ball to LeeRoy!