TSN: Lions QB Pierce expected to start against Stamps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

This is great news as it looks like BP is doing just fine after that hit and can start next week. I am a believer that BP is the better all around and JJ true strengths show after he has had time to analyze the other team (hence so great coming off the bench or having considerably better second half's).

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=284900
Lions QB Pierce expected to start against Stamps in Week 4
TSN.ca Staff
7/17/2009 2:49:50 PM

BC Lions fans can expect to see quarterback Buck Pierce behind the offensive line when they face the Calgary Stampeders next Friday.

Pierce suffered an apparent head injury in Thursday's 40-22 victory over the Edmonton Eskimos and was replaced by Jarious Jackson in the first quarter.

According to head coach Wally Buono, all of Pierce's symptoms cleared up Thursday night before the team returned home from Edmonton. Pierce will be further evaluated today, but Buono expects him to take part fully when the team resumes practice on Monday.

Asked about whether he considered giving Pierce more recovery time given how well Jackson played, Buono said "the current order of our QBs is what works best for this team," confirming the widely held belief that Jackson is better coming off the bench.

The Lions are also expecting the return of Ian Smart to the lineup this week, taking the place of Tyler Ebell on the roster. Smart will primarily be used as a returner, for now.

No decision has been made yet on whether Rufus Skilern will stay in the lineup in place of Ryan Grice-Mullen.

Following Friday's practice, Buono said he was very pleased with the play of his new tackle Daren Heerspink and that the team will be signing another offensive tackle this weekend to give them some more depth.
Rodu
Champion

I'm surprised he doesn't have a concussion after that hit to the head
Rammer
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:I'm surprised he doesn't have a concussion after that hit to the head
That can change after/during practice, as his dizzyness may return as the adrenalin is pumping. Remember DD had this happen to him, although I have to say that BP looked much more aware than DD anytime he was dinged.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lui05
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
Rodu wrote:I'm surprised he doesn't have a concussion after that hit to the head
That can change after/during practice, as his dizzyness may return as the adrenalin is pumping. Remember DD had this happen to him, although I have to say that BP looked much more aware than DD anytime he was dinged.
In DD's defense, I think you're just remembering the last 12 concussions... :rotf:
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wait until Monday to get an indication of whether he has any remaining symptoms.
David
Team Captain

Why announce a starter now instead of later in the week? Why not be coy and let the Stamps game plan for both. :juggle:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Why announce a starter now instead of later in the week? Why not be coy and let the Stamps game plan for both. :juggle:

DH
Because Buck isn't going to start?
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Buono said "the current order of our QBs is what works best for this team," confirming the widely held belief that Jackson is better coming off the bench.
Let's hope that Buono goes to the bench a little more often when Buck is struggling......
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:Why announce a starter now instead of later in the week? Why not be coy and let the Stamps game plan for both. :juggle:

DH
And even if he does, a very good chacne he will get hurt.....again.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ian MacIntyre has a different take on it: Buck remains No. 1 on the depth chart but it's questionable whether he'll play Friday.
B.C. coach and general manager Wally Buono stated categorically Friday that Pierce, who has struggled for consistency at the start of the Canadian Football League, remains the Lions’ No. 1 quarterback and Jackson is the backup.

Pierce, who lost his first two starts, was knocked from Thursday’s victory on a head shot delivered by Eskimo safety Elliott Richardson while the Lion was sliding feet-first. Buono was careful not to use the C-word — “concussion” — to describe Pierce’s condition, but it’s questionable whether he’ll be able to play Friday against the Calgary Stampeders.
Link
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Booooo! Bench Buck.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
ziggy
Legend

Rammer wrote:

DH
I agree let them plan for Buck and give them JJ. Not to take anything away from his play last night, but if the Defence practised all week for Buck's short control game and then suddenly got JJ and the deep ball..........
Spud387
Champion

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Booooo! Bench Buck.
Yes, Yes we all get you don't like Buck... but he is still our starter :tease:
LFITQ
Team Captain

Received this tweet from Glen Suitor on the Buck situation...
Glen Suitor wrote: In a phone conversation moments ago with Tom Higgins head of officials I was told the league has not yet reviewed the hit on Buck Pierce
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“The medical information I got this morning is that everything cleared up last night,” Wally Buono, the Lions coach and general manager, said Friday.

“I was told he was dazed. From that point of view it cleared up very nicely. There were no issues after the game. Three days from now we will be practising and hopefully things will be good.”
Buono expects Pierce to work with the first team at practice Monday, but he will be closely monitored.
“That's like you do with any player,” Buono said. “That's part of the process when a player gets a little dinged.

“They get their treatment, they come back to work, and then you assess them and you see where they are at.”

Buck and Jarious. #1a and #1b. Good to have them both.

Buck or Jarious as starter?

Years ago a reporter mentioned to Jimmy Johnson of the Cowboys the bromide that a player cannot lose his starting position to injury. Johnson replied: "Who said that? That is not how it is decided on my team. I decide who starts."

On the Lions, Wally decides. I agree with Wally that Buck should stay the starter. I hope he is fully recovered from the head shot he took in the game.