CFL Stadiums and Game Day Experiences

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What is your favourite CFL Stadium for a game day experience?

BC Place Stadium
46%
McMahon Stadium
5%
Commonwealth Stadium
3%
Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field
5%
Canad Inns Stadium
11%
Ivor Wynne Stadium
22%
Rogers Centre
3%
Percival Molson Memorial Stadium
No votes
Frank Clair Stadium at Lansdowne Park
5%

Total votes: 37
Zarquon
Champion

Well I must say I had a great time at Taylor Field this last weekend. I went to a great tailgate party at a guys house a short walk to the stadium. Other than some fans that caused the incident in the 4th quarter the fans and atmosphere in the stadium was FANTASTIC.

Here are some pictures:
Me and the tailgate hosts Big Norm and Ricky G. Note my BC Lions Lager.

A bunch of the tailgaters right before we headed to the game.

He is finishing his last beer before heading out. Much better use of beer than throwing it.

Me and my buddy Scott in the stands.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Having only been to 3 CFL stadiums, I'd rate Ivor Wynne #1 as far as sightlines go, BC Place as far as concourse (based mainly on size) and Rogers Centre as the most versatile (for what that's worth).
Luke
All Star

I was at the BC Place website reading about the upgrades that have already begun, and I think when its all done (retractable roof and everything), BC Place will be one of the top places to watch a football game, provided the Lions can maintain current levels of fan support.

I've only been to BC Place and McMahon Stadium to watch a football game. I was at McMahon in the summer of 2000, not long after Greg Mohns had taken the reigns from Adam Rita. It was a fun experience, but I really enjoyed BC Place last year. It was so cool to see so many people wearing orange and black. I wore my BC Lions jersey (81 Simon, alternate third jersey) and my hat.

I guess I have to vote for BC Place. I guess I'll also have make it to Mosaic Stadium since I only live three hours away, and I have a friend who works for the team, and has talked about going in the past.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:Rogers Centre as the most versatile (for what that's worth).
Yeah as a multi-purpose stadium, Rogers Centre accommodates much better for the Blue Jays compared to its former CNE stadium.
Luke wrote:I was at McMahon in the summer of 2000, not long after Greg Mohns had taken the reigns from Adam Rita.
If it was the summer of 2000, then I believe you mean not long after Steve Buratto had taken the reigns from Greg Mohns, who resigned to go to the XFL.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:Rogers Centre as the most versatile (for what that's worth).
Yeah as a multi-purpose stadium, Rogers Centre accommodates much better for the Blue Jays compared to its former CNE stadium.
Luke wrote:I was at McMahon in the summer of 2000, not long after Greg Mohns had taken the reigns from Adam Rita.
If it was the summer of 2000, then I believe you mean not long after Steve Buratto had taken the reigns from Greg Mohns, who resigned to go to the XFL.
Mohns was the coach entering 2000 so Luke could be right. I don't recall exactly how late in the 2000 season Burratto took over, something like the 6th or 7th game IIRC, which would probably have been mid-August, so not impossible. I remember his first game was the 51-4 drubbing laid on the Argos, which triggered the Huard firing and Pinball's sudden retirement as a player to succeed him.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Luke
All Star

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Mohns was the coach entering 2000 so Luke could be right. I don't recall exactly how late in the 2000 season Burratto took over, something like the 6th or 7th game IIRC, which would probably have been mid-August, so not impossible. I remember his first game was the 51-4 drubbing laid on the Argos, which triggered the Huard firing and Pinball's sudden retirement as a player to succeed him.
I'm actually not sure now. :???: I think I actually got the year wrong. I think it was '99, not '00 because Burris was still in Calgary backing up Dickenson. Then again, maybe I should stop talking before I end up with both feet in my mouth.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Luke wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

I'm actually not sure now. :???: I think I actually got the year wrong. I think it was '99, not '00 because Burris was still in Calgary backing up Dickenson. Then again, maybe I should stop talking before I end up with both feet in my mouth.
This is an article dated August 20, 2000 about Buratto taking over Mohns:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2000/08/ ... 00820.html

The Lions were 3-4 when Buratto took over.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
firstdown45

Nothing beats 65,000 in Olympic Stadium in the Grey Cup with the Alouettes in it (which they will be) so get your tickets now.

They've already hit the 50,000 mark. I'm sitting in the end zone but at least I'll be there.

I didn't think anyone would remember to include Olympic Stadium in the Poll. Figures
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With only nine selections when I first created this thread, so there had to be an odd stadium out. I decided to include the Alouette's main stadium plus Lansdowne Park.

IMHO, I hope the Alouettes would play full time Olympic Stadium and depart Molson Stadium.
祝你龍年行大運。
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

they are actually going to Expand Molson stadium soon or did it already happen? a couple years ago i heard that they were gonna do that.
2012 Season Ticket Holder
almo89
Legend

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:they are actually going to Expand Molson stadium soon or did it already happen? a couple years ago i heard that they were gonna do that.
Yep. It has been stalled a bit, but I heard that they will still expand the stadium. There supposed to be a few phases and when it's all done, it should hold 30k.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Going back to the clipped corner issue, it looks like Percival Molson Memorial Stadium also has endzones that have clipped corners. It looks like 10 yards into the endzone is when it is clipped.

As far as field appearance aesthetics, I like the fact that Winnipeg's Canad Inns Stadium is unique in that the endzone is decorated by solid blue. In BC Place, would you like it if the endzone was covered with solid orange?
Last edited by Robbie on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote: As far as field appearance aesthetics, I like the fact that Winnipeg's Canad Inns Stadium is unique in that the endzone is decorated by solid blue. In BC Place, would you like it if the endzone was covered with solid orange?
I would if it was 12 offensive players in the opposition endzone.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Spud387
Champion

Robbie wrote:Going back to the clipped corner issue, it looks like Percival Molson Memorial Stadium also has endzones that have clipped corners. It looks like 10 yards into the endzone is when it is clipped.

As far as field appearance aesthetics, I like the fact that Winnipeg's Canad Inns Stadium is unique in that the endzone is decorated by solid blue. In BC Place, would you like it if the endzone was covered with solid orange?

I have been to Canad Inns Stadium... the place felt like a dump (sorry Blue in BC). Very old and barren. I would not like an all orange enzone b/c orange is much more offensive to the eyes than blue is lol
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wouldn't paint the field but I sure wish those awful blue seats in B.C. Place could be replaced by black ones. They would absorb some of the excess light from overhead and wouldn't stand out as much as the blue ones.