The Wrecking Crew!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Gone are the days of our offensive line being out of shape, easy to beat, and lacking an identity!
Our offensive line arent' 'hogs' and no defensive lineman would ever think of calling them 'fat, sassy pigs'! There is no pork up front on our offensive line...it's all prime grade beef!

Our offensive line now has an identity, a strong sense of teamwork, and most importantly, an attitude unmatched in the league, in terms of aggressiveness and a desire to dominate opponents.
If I was able to create a name for them I would call them "The Wrecking Crew" due to their ability to completely dismantle defensive lines. Lets have a closer look:

Rob Murphy-Left Tackle (6'5", 310) "Demolition Foreman"" Murphy in his first season, in the critical left tackle spot with a right handed quarterback, protects the blind side. Murphy spent time with four different NFL clubs, including Kansas City, Indianapolis, San Francisco, and Detroit, seeing action in 26 NFL games before joining our Leos. Murphy, as we're all aware, was named the CFL top offensive lineman in his debut season. He gave up one sack or no sacks depending on whose version one hears, but his ability to protect our quarterbacks and anchor the offensive line from the tackle position was a key to our Grey Cup 2006 season. Murphy quickly established a new reputation for our offensive line in 2006 by beating on Joe Montford in their first encounter. Relentless, unforgiving, aggressive, protective of his teammates, and a leader Murphy quickly established a new 'don't mess with us' attitude that carried over to his teammates. When his football days are over Murphy will be negotiating real estate contracts...and he'll be good based upon his work on his own contract this past season.

Kelly Bates-Left Guard (6'3", 296 ) "Heavy Moving Foreman" Bates has started for us since 2003 but really established himself last season as a high calibre offensive guard. Bates is a country boy from Humbolt, Saskatchewan and brings that tough nosed, country attitude with him to his left guard position. Bates, playing beside Murphy really elevated his game in 2006, displaying a more aggressive approach to blocking the run while also really improving on blitz pickup. Bates is most comfortable in a pickup truck with country music on the radio, and a fishing pole in the trunk when he's not knocking heads with the opposition's defensive tackle. Kelly will be a physical education teacher when football is over.

Angus Reid: Center (6' 1", 305) Heavy Construction Foreman. You have to be tough and smart to play offensive line against today's complex CFL defenses. You have to be especially smart to play center because the center has to make all the line blocking calls. He has to read the defense with the same ability as a quarterback. We got Angus Reid in a trade with Montreal, sending Adriano Belli back east to bring local boy Angus Reid back to his roots. Reid played at Vancouver College and SFU, where he was an all-American. What most fans don't know is how incredibly strong Reid is or how much he does for the community. He's played for us for five seasons and while he was an all-star in the past Reid is just entering his prime as a center and that is good news for us and bad news for the opposition. Owns his own personal printing business when not making crucial offensive line calls.

Sherko Rasouli: Right Guard (6'6', 326) "Cargo Handling Foreman" Sherko is our biggest offensive lineman and he's a load. Sherko began his trade with our Leos by playing every offensive line position as a backup but got his opportunity to start at right guard after Singh got injured and he took full advantage of it last season. Sherko played on one of the best offensive lines ever in college football in Miami and it was only a matter of time that he became the last of that unit to make it as a successful pro. Even when Singh offered to take a major salary cut the Leos wanted to go with Sherko again this season as our starting guard. He's still young, huge for an offensive guard. and can manhandle big defensive tackles. He's only going to continue to get better. A sharp guy in finance and marketing!

Jason Jiminez: Right Tackle (6'7", 320) "Explosives Foreman"" Jiminez has not recieved the accolades that Murphy has at the tackle position..in part because Murphy plays the challenging left tackle position and in part because of a few very over aggressive penalties that Jiminez took last season. However, due to those factors, it's been overlooked how physically dominating that Jiminez can be...he's without question our most physically dominating lineman..and he plays with a serious edge. The former Green Bay Packer also plaYed lacrosse in college as well as football. He can speak four languages but the language he displays most on the football field is non-verbal.....he can completly physically break down an opposition defensive end and he is so strong and so physical and so aggressive that he can be a nightmare to play against because he'll keep pounding on a guy! Jason's future after football could be in law. Don't mess with his dog Champ!

These guys are going to 'wreck' a lot of defensive plans this season. With hard work they are only going to get better. Playing together for their second season together they will protect our quarterbacks even more effectively this season, open bigger holes for the running game, and create even more anxiety for defensive lines and linebackers before each Leos game. With Dorazio as "The Wrecking Crew' supervisor they are such a key to our Leos opportunity to win a second Grey Cup!!
Last edited by Blitz on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good post Blitz but I think the offensive line is bigger than what you're giving them credit for. They are all bigger than 6' :wink:
maddeep73
Champion

A fun read for sure. This unit really does have an identity, and the improvement from '05 is massive.

However, concerning is the fact that they still gave up 56 sacks last year, a league worst. Calgary was #1 with only 27! I know, I know, I know... our Qb's hold onto the ball and take the sack, yadda, yadda, yadda. However, I can count a fair amount of times where a blitzing backer or db came through unblocked. Was it scheme? Will another year together make them that much stronger? I'm not sure.

I do know that they were also middle of the pack in rushing yards per game. This did get better when Smith arrived. But this still was mediocre at best.

While I love the 'crew', I still feel there is tons of room for statistical improvement and potential for dominance.
Keepin' it real
Blitz
Team Captain

They are all bigger than 6'
I'll go back and fix it The LionKing!
However, I can count a fair amount of times where a blitzing backer or db came through unblocked. Was it scheme? Will another year together make them that much stronger? I'm not sure.
Sometimes it's the back who has to pick up a blitzing linebacker...the area that Joe Smith says he wants to improve on most this season but he still was a big upgrade in that area from Warren. The key is how much time the offensive line gives the quarterback to release the football. On that basis they did a very good job overall last season!

In terms of the running game...you have to also look at how many times we rushed the football. Last season we averaged 5.3 yards per rush, which was third behind the run oriented teams of Calgary and Saskatchewan. We also rushed both sparingly and poorly in our first four games last year.

I really believe you'll see more of a focus on the running attack this season. It allows your offensive line to play aggressively and wears opposition defensive lines down, chews up the clock with a lead, helps with time of possession, keeping your defense off the field, and really helps set up play action. When we look at the running attempts this year you'll see a difference. Offensive line involves communication and teamwork...playing together for a second season will pay big dividends!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good post re "The Wrecking Crew"

thank you, it was very interesting and entertaining

When Geroy and Jason are catching and running it is easy to overlook the hogs in the line.

But these guys are worth watching.

It's obvious now what a great move Wally made going to the American tackles.

Wally does see "the big picture" very well.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote: However, concerning is the fact that they still gave up 56 sacks last year, a league worst. Calgary was #1 with only 27! I know, I know, I know... our Qb's hold onto the ball and take the sack, yadda, yadda, yadda. However, I can count a fair amount of times where a blitzing backer or db came through unblocked. Was it scheme? Will another year together make them that much stronger? I'm not sure.
I expect a vast improvement in this area with the departure of the Chap
Blitz
Team Captain

While I love the 'crew', I still feel there is tons of room for statistical improvement and potential for dominance.
While I really like our offensive line I agree that they can improve this season maddep! However, they had a good season last year, especially considering that three members of the offensive line were starting for the first time in Murphy, Rasouli, and Jiminez. With more time playing together, an important consideration for an offensive line, they will get better.
However, I can count a fair amount of times where a blitzing backer or db came through unblocked.
Our scheme was horrible in 2005 when we used the six pack receiver set so often and also went with a number of naked quarterback bootlegs that Chap loved so much and got our quarterbacks punished. Teams blitzed the hell out of us and with long developing crossing patterns we got sacked a lot and our qb's took a severe beating.

Last season the Chap mostly abandoned the six pack and went with five receivers and an ace back. We also ran more vertical patterns that helps a quarterback release the ball more quickly against the blitz. We also had Jiminez and Murphy blocking instead of an injured Mantyka and either Powell or Mo Elonowibi trying to block the blind side.

However, we had problems with our backfield blocking and running the football during the early part of 2006. Joe Smith, when he was inserted into the lineup also had to learn to find the blitzing linebacker. Later on in the season he did an excellent job and only released when there was no blitz. It's not an easy job. However, the Chaps lack of committment to the running game and the tendancy of Dickenson to still hold onto the ball too long, Pearce also had that tendancy once in a while, didn't help because most of the time they had enough seconds to throw.

You get a higher completion rate by waiting for receivers to open more but you also get a higher sack rate playing that way. When a quarterback has had 3.5 seconds to throw the football the offensive line has done it's job (in the NFL you get less time) Sometimes our quarterbacks want longer than those 3.5 seconds and it's something that still needs to be worked on.

It's also easier to sack a quarterback if the defense knows where he will be setting up in the pocket so it's important this season that we move the pocket more often than in the past.

Occasionally a stunt or a blitz will free up a defensive lineman or linebacker but that didn't happen all that often last year. It sure did a ton in 2005,..though!

I really think we have the size, strength, toughness, technique, and attitude to get the job done. The rest is filmowork, reads, teamwork, and coordination and the ace back is also a part ot that teamwork. When you look at it that way, four of the six blockers were new last season, adding Smith to the mix. Familiarity with each other and excellent communication are the things that will result in the improvement this season...along with a stronger committment to the running game!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Offensive schemes certainly were part of the problem, but the bigger issue was 1st year starters.

Even talented OL personnel take time to form a cohesive unit. They should improve as they play together longer for the 2nd year.

The talent level is there
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Great good work Blitz, as always your attention to detail sets your posts apart, due to their research, background, and penchant for humor.

I am loathing the reality that this may be Kelly's last season with us knowing that he wishes to follow his roots along with JC back to Regina, but I am also relishing this chance for him to make a huge difference to our chances to repeat as GC Champs this season and playing along side of Rob Murphy will be that incentive I don't believe he can refuse.

The "Wrecking Crew" is arguable second to none when it comes down to pass protection with the grateful return of RM to the fold this off-season, but what concerns me is the Oline's abilities to drive block well enough to get our premier running backs enough opportunities to crack an eight hundred yard season on the ground?

Much will depend on my ever growing faith that Dan Dorasio's talents are growing exponentially, and one day soon he will either succeed Wally or move on to a head coaching position elsewhere.

My other concern is Jimenez's tendencies to take costly penalties at critical junctures of field position, and at key momentum shifts of the game.

If we can limit our mistakes to that margin of error this group of fearless warriors can win the majority of campaigns and give us the edge to provide us the opportunity, to win something we have never achieved in our history before...

A second consecutive Championship!
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

The "Wrecking Crew" is arguable second to none when it comes down to pass protection with the grateful return of RM to the fold this off-season, but what concerns me is the Oline's abilities to drive block well enough to get our premier running backs enough opportunities to crack an eight hundred yard season on the ground
I'm not looking forward to Kelly Bates leaving either. I wasn't much of a fan of his at first but he's improved so much and is definitely an important member of The Wrecking Crew. By the way, offensive lineman don't drive block very much anymore, except for short yardage. The Leos used the inside and outside zone run (stretch play) a lot for Smith last season. I won't go into it in detail but if you're interested you should go to Stukus Chalk Talk and read the "Inside Zone Run and the "Stretch Play' cause that's mostly what the Leos ran last season Pigskin.

The blocking is very different, as the entire line almost blocks horizontally, with a short first step while keeping their shoulders square. It's designed for the cutback run and to create gaps for the running back to read. It's very different type of blocking from the old trap blocking, double team blocking, kickout blocking, seal blocking, fold blocking that most of us grew up with.
My other concern is Jimenez's tendencies to take costly penalties at critical junctures of field position, and at key momentum shifts of the game
I'm not overly concerned about Jiminez. While the timing of his penalties last season sometimes came at the worst possible time he really didn't take that many. He's learning to control that overaggressiveness near the end of a play. However, in the big picture he also established himself as no one to mess with and he is so physically dominating and absolutely relentless about pounding his opposition number into submission that his value can't be underestimated.

What our line needs this season is a committment to the running game. This is a big, strong, tough offensive line. Pass blocking is more of a defensive approach to blocking. Offensive lineman love to run block. It allows them to play more aggressively and pound people. They are also bigger and stronger than most defensive lineman and that shows up in run blocking. It also helps them with pass blocking. When the defensive line is concerned about the run they are not so quick to just pin their ears back and rush the quarterback. Run blocking also wears defensive lines down, especially in the second half.

It takes patience and a clear philisophy to continuously integrate the running game into an offence but the payoff can be huge!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I too would like to see a commitment to a running game. We don't need to run it as often as they do in the NFL but enough to keep the defence off balance. This will open up the passing game as well.
Blitz
Team Captain

too would like to see a commitment to a running game. We don't need to run it as often as they do in the NFL but enough to keep the defence off balance. This will open up the passing game as well.
I really think we will TheLionKing. It also helps out 'huge' for play action!
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

There's a mean Daddy who sets the tone for Rob Murphy and the rest of the "Wrecking Crew" and his name is Jason Jimenez.

He makes everyone better he plays with.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=17379
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

There's a mean Daddy who sets the tone for Rob Murphy and the rest of the "Wrecking Crew" and his name is Jason Jimenez.
Good to see Jiminez starting to get some credit for his excellent work at right tackle last season!
Blitz
Team Captain

I too would like to see a commitment to a running game. We don't need to run it as often as they do in the NFL but enough to keep the defence off balance. This will open up the passing game as well.
Before anyone starts longing too much for the Chap....last season we were seventh out ot an eight team league in rushing attempts. However we did finish fifth in rushing yardge and third in average yards per rush at 5.3 yards. This season we'll see more of a committment to the running game with the Chaps departure.