DD injures ankle today......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

According to LU (on his blog), DD injured his ankle today, but they're saying it's fine........it will be interesting to see how much he practices on Tuesday in preparation for Thursday's game.
Lloyd
lion24
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:According to LU (on his blog), DD injured his ankle today, but they're saying it's fine........it will be interesting to see how much he practices on Tuesday in preparation for Thursday's game.
anyone have any second thoughts on wanting to trade Jarious Jackson???? :bang: :bang:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

hold ur horses bud we still got Bucky too :wink:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
lion24
Legend

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:hold ur horses bud we still got Bucky too :wink:

oh Believe me Brian i wouldn't forget Buck, but we lost both DD and Buck at one point last year and JJ had to come in and played admirably.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally is always willing to trade a useful but unused backup for high draft picks.

And so, here are the Lions who are trade bait: Jarious Jackson, Josh Boden and Rob Pikula.

I think Wally would like to keep Pikula until McCallum retires but slavery is illegal the last time I checked and McCallum may be around for a while yet. How many years can Pikula be kept on the development roster earning pocket change for a living?

IMO opinion Lindstrom is better than Boden, but I know lots of people are high on Boden.

Jackson has talent, but no opportunity here and time is against him.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wally said on the Rick Ball Show today that Jason Jiminez was pushed back and stepped on DD's foot/ankle.

Fortunately it was not serious and he is slated to the first half on Thursday. Buck will likely play the entire second half.

Wally also labeled last Friday's game as "embarrassing" with the numerous mental errors and being stuffed twice on 3rd and short. Might have been just a pre-season tilt but he still thought it was an unacceptable performance in front of the hometown fans.

In hindsight, I wonder if he wished he played the starters a little more in a home game and less this coming week for a road game.
Blitz
Team Captain

In hindsight, I wonder if he wished he played the starters a little more in a home game and less this coming week for a road game.
I doubt he would have changed the quarterback situation for that exhibition game but it might have been an idea to give Dickenson one of his two series with some of the backup receivers and have given Jarious some snaps with the starting receivers.
I think Wally would like to keep Pikula until McCallum retires but slavery is illegal the last time I checked and McCallum may be around for a while yet. How many years can Pikula be kept on the development roster earning pocket change for a living?

IMO opinion Lindstrom is better than Boden, but I know lots of people are high on Boden.

Jackson has talent, but no opportunity
I don't think Lindstrom has the same upside as Boden! With regard to Pikula I think Wally will keep him for this season and then make a decision at the end of the year. I would love to see Pikula as our punter and McCallum as our place kicker for this season but I also realize it takes up an additional roster spot and right now the situation is very difficult to do that with our non-impport talent. As for Jarious Wally knows Jarious is gone after this season so it would be nice to get something for him. If the offer was a good one he would be wise to take it. However, if an offer came for a lower round draft choices it might be wiser to keep Jackson as insurance for this season.

In fact, Wally would be wiser to try and trade Jackson for a draft choice with a longer timeline...say a second rounder in 2009. Right now we don't have enough roster places for the talent we have and stockpiling draft choices a couple of seasons away might be prudent. However, I wouldn't trade Jackson for anything less than a second rounder and then it wouldn't be easy.

As for Dickenson...the injuries to his pinkie finger and getting his foot stomped are normal kinds of injuries that heal quickly. Lots of guys get stomped in training camp...as Murphy can attest! However, it can also serve to remind us that whomever is in our #3 quarterback position we need someone who could step in there and be reasonably effective.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:However, it can also serve to remind us that whomever is in our #3 quarterback position we need someone who could step in there and be reasonably effective.
I'll have to disagree with you to some extent, Blitz. No. 3 quarterbacks are usually young players that teams want to develop, not polished pros who could be expected to step in and win a game. The Lions have certainly made more use of their No. 3 quarterbacks than most teams, and have gotten pretty good production from them, but they can afford to have a rookie hold a clipboard for a year in the hope of developing a future No. 1 or No. 2 QB.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yup ... regarding J. Jackson and trading for draft picks, it might be a good idea to trade longer term.

We have had so many good drafts with Wally that it is hard to see 3 or 4 guys continuing to make the squad each year from the Canadian draft.

Valli, Pottinger, Foley, Lindstrom and Hameister-Rhys in 2006.

Nicholson, Crawford, Sadeghian, Bean and Jones this year.

That is sensational drafting made possible by acquisition of draft picks.

You run out of room for all the talent . There always seems to be room for good draft picks on the OL and DL though.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'll have to disagree with you to some extent, Blitz. No. 3 quarterbacks are usually young players that teams want to develop, not polished pros who could be expected to step in and win a game. The Lions have certainly made more use of their No. 3 quarterbacks than most teams, and have gotten pretty good production from them, but they can afford to have a rookie hold a clipboard for a year in the hope of developing a future No. 1 or No. 2 QB.
In most circunstances I would agree with you B.C. Fan that having a young develping quarterback as your #3 qb is the better way to build for the future.

However, each situation is different. For example, Dave Dickenson has missed a ton of games as a starter over the years....more than any other starting quarterback in the league over his time here. That means that our #3 quarterback has been in the position of being the backup quarterback for a lot of games. Dickenson was hurt for the playoff game in 2003 and missed most of 2004. Secondly our backup quarterbacks have also been injured. Printers missed a number of games in 2005 and we had to go with Pierce as an untested rookie when both Dickenson and Printers both couldn't go. Last season we had Jarious playing in Hamilton when both Dickenson and Pearce couldn't go.

The #3 quarterback has been more critical due to those factors and one play away from being the starting quarterback for a lot of games here...and even having to go in and play a number of times as well. Throw in the importance of the quarterback position to a football team and the fact that a team only has so many shots with this kind of talent to keep winning Grey Cups and the insurance is nice to have in the #3 spot.

Will we need to bring someone in to replace Jarious in the future and the answer is yes, of course. In 3 more seasons or possibly even less we'll need a backup to Buck Pearce and someone who can push him. I just like the experience Jackson brings in the #3 spot for as long as it lasts this season...just in case! There is now and there is the future.

Dickenson just hurt his foot. Let's say it happened before our first regular season game and Buck is starting. Do you feel confident in Bell going into that game to play, if Buck somehow got dinged early??
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dickenson has already suffered a mid body and a lower body injury already and this is just 3 weeks into the season. :shock: As to keeping Pikula as our punter, I wasn't overly impressed with his punting on Friday night.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

With regard to Pikula I think Wally will keep him for this season and then make a decision at the end of the year. I would love to see Pikula as our punter and McCallum as our place kicker for this season but I also realize it takes up an additional roster spot and right now the situation is very difficult to do that with our non-impport talent.
I was thinking the same thing.......but I think that it would cost Bret Anderson's job.
Lloyd
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:According to LU (on his blog), DD injured his ankle today, but they're saying it's fine........it will be interesting to see how much he practices on Tuesday in preparation for Thursday's game.
anyone have any second thoughts on wanting to trade Jarious Jackson???? :bang: :bang:
nope.
hexx

Can someone drop a link to LU's blog? Can't seem to find it. Thanks
Blitz
Team Captain

Can someone drop a link to LU's blog? Can't seem to find it. Thanks
Easy way is to go to http://www.vancouverprovince.com and go to the sports section and you'll see it. If that doesn't work for you let me know.