The 42 Man Roster

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The four-man reserve list is a great cushion for a coach. He can keep four players on the roster and under contract but just not dress them, so he only has to cut to 46. The reserve list can change each game. Wally kept Pikula out of the grasp of opposing teams this way for most of last year (he played in only three games), but that's a valuable spot to use for a second straight season.

I can't see dressing Plante and Valli each game. Backup linemen aren't usually valuable as special-teamers, so the Lions normally go with just one backup. Both of them looked good in their relief duties Friday so I don't know which one will dress. If it's Plante, Valli would likely have to be kept on the reserve.

Similarly, I can't see keeping Rodgers and Jones on the 42-man roster. Jones was brought in last year as an injury replacement for Tony Simmons, who is back and starting the season healthy. The Lions also are blessed with non-imports who can play inside and outside receiver spots. I'm not sure that Boden shouldn't be starting. Smart, a backup running back, will be a designated import used as the primary kick returner, while either Rodgers, Jones, Boden or Mitchell will be a second returner. I'm leaning toward keeping Rodgers and putting Jones on the reserve.

The Lions have traditionally used their depth at receiver to start more than the required seven Canadians, and thus be able to dress import backups who can rotate with Canadian starters. Foley and Wake could be used that way this year, with Foley starting if he earns that position. I'm sure Wake's leaping abilities will be utilized on special teams. The Lions also traditionally use an extra import linebacker as a backup and special teams demon, and I'd lean to using Hannah in that role.
You're likely right about only dressing one reserve offensive lineman per game B.C. Fan.

I don't think Wally will go with Rodgers right off the getgo. Jones is familiar with the offence and will likely be given the benefit of that to begin with until Rodgers gets up to speed...but who knows...Wally isn't afraid to shake things up and Rodgers adds the fact that he can return the football.I also like your thoughts on Boden. He may be young but I can't see Wally giving him away when he has so much potential.

I'm surprised at your views on Marsh though. I find him an excellent corner and he has to cover the oppositions best wide reciever. I thought teams avoided the shortside of the Leos defense a lot last season due to Marsh and Banks ability.

However, Dennis and Mitchell bring other assets to the mix and if they don't make the lineup they will be brought along. I also agree that Knowlton better play better in his next exhibition game.

I seriously considered the Leos going with Hannah on the active 42 man roster because that's what the Leos have done in the past for special teams. However, another option is that they could go with an extra import back...not probable but certainly possible.

I don't see Crawford or Weisila making the active roster but that's why I created this thread....because we'll have some different perspectives and it will make it even more interesting when they make the announcement prior to the regular season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some good analysis guys.

Valli and Plante both will be on the game day roster. Valli assumes Sherko’s old “sixth manâ€
Rammer
Team Captain

[quote="SammyGreene"]Some good analysis guys.

Valli and Plante both will be on the game day roster. Valli assumes Sherko’s old “sixth manâ€
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Mitchell has the 4.3 40 speed on a slow track. O'Bie compares him to Darnell Clash, although thicker body and much faster. That is a glowing report that you can bet on at this point suggests that he is sticking around after final cutdowns
He's scary fast for sure Rammer and was also a track star at Western Kentucky. Mitchell has been given the nickname 'Popcorn" by his teamates for some of the hits he delivered" The guy also has 'pop' coming out of his break on defense! He's going to be around this season. Who has impressed you more Rammer..Mitchell or Dennis?(who was outstanding at returning kicks in college)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

It's 'Judgement Day'!!
Tighthead
Legend

Beware the turk...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:It's 'Judgement Day'!!
Do you think we will see any other surprises Blitz?

LU confirms Jones' departure in his blog.
Wally also admits in the Sun that Mitchell has shown enough to make the roster. Is that at the expense of Knowlton?

Funny thing about Jones is we speculated through the off-season whether there would be room for both him and Simmons. Our logic was either Colon and Boden would be battling for Thelwell's weakside WR spot.

Wally was willing to tweak his ratio to go with 4 import receivers but Jones' performance might have changed his mind.

I would prefer they give Boden a shot and see how he performs with the first unit, something that didn't happen in the pre-season but did a year ago. Developing another starting Canadian should be a priority if Clermont leaves in ’08.
midwestlion
Starter

Wally was willing to tweak his ratio to go with 4 import receivers but Jones' performance might have changed his mind.
More of Cory Rodgers hype (NFL 4th rounder) IMO
Blitz
Team Captain

Do you think we will see any other surprises Blitz?

LU confirms Jones' departure in his blog.
Wally also admits in the Sun that Mitchell has shown enough to make the roster. Is that at the expense of Knowlton?

Funny thing about Jones is we speculated through the off-season whether there would be room for both him and Simmons. Our logic was either Colon and Boden would be battling for Thelwell's weakside WR spot.

I would prefer they give Boden a shot and see how he performs with the first unit, something that didn't happen in the pre-season but did a year ago. Developing another starting Canadian should be a priority if Clermont leaves in ’08.
I said Jones would need to step it up before the Edmonton game! In the off-season, when Wally was saying that he didn't want Simmons eating up too many of Jones reps at training camp I have to admit I was confused. As long as Simmons returned fully healthy there was no comparison between the two. I know that I have been a big supporter of Tony Simmons from Day 1 but he's an outstanding reciever and Jones, while fast and a leaper, still needed to put it together.

As for Knowlton, he had a great camp but didn't play well against the Riders or Edmonton. It's mostly what he doesn't do...and that is return the football and Wally is looking for a back that can return kickoffs. However, Jones departure adds some new angles.

I liked Sedaghian a lot and it appears that Wally does too. I think you'll find another surprise but in respect for the players it would be best to wait for the announcement.
Blitz
Team Captain

Mitchell has the 4.3 40 speed on a slow track. O'Bie compares him to Darnell Clash, although thicker body and much faster. That is a glowing report that you can bet on at this point suggests that he is sticking around after final cutdowns
Mitchell is scary fast but now he needs to develop some moves! However, you can't teach speed!
Blitz
Team Captain

Well, we took this poll prior to our exhibitions season so it was done without the benefit of that information.

However, for those who did the poll, here are the results, based upon the players that were released. We were asked to pick the 42 man roster but if any name appeared on the 42 man roster and was released...you get a gasser! Overall, everyone who contributed to this thread brought a lot of excellent info! We'll still have to wait to see how our choices work out for the 42 man roster but there are some consequences that need to be done now by not getting it purrfect! :wink:

Blitz: One gasser but only for 30 yards instead of 40 for selecting Jones but also stating that Jones would be gone if he didn't play well against Edmonton

West Coast Joe: West Coast gets 3 regular gassers, one for Boden, one for for Smart, and one for Linstrom. He predicted that Boden and Smart would be cut and Linstrom would make the team. West Joe is getting into great shape.

B.C. Fan: B.C. Fan gets a 20 yard gasser for couching his choice between Crawford and Waseila, who was cut. However, B.C. Fan deserves to win the contest by determining that Jones would be put on the practice roster. While Jones was released, the judges still give B.C. Fan the slight edge at this point.

John Henry: While John Henry didn't complete the entire roster he gets a free pass on a gasser in the future by making the call early that Jones was gone. However, I still think he should be punished somehow down the road for his overdevotion to Dickenson! :wink:

LFITQ: LFITQ gets a free pass for 30 of the 40 yards on any future gasser for also correctly predicting that Jones would not make the active roster. However, LFITQ believed that Simmons, and not Boden would be the guy who would replace Jones....so he doesn't get the full meal deal on his future pass!

Sammy Greene: Sammy Greene gets a full 40 yard gasser for predicting Jones would be starting at wide receiver to begin the season. As a former great receiver himself we expect Sammy to always get it right, but then again, who would have expected Jones to blow this chance.

You don't have to run your gassers yet and can wait until the 42 man roster is declared to use your free passes. For all your correct predictions you get nothing...as fans of the Leos... :wink: you're part of a Wally coached team and it's just expected that you get it right and you'd better be improving too! :wink:
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maddeep73
Champion

Mitchell is scary fast but now he needs to develop some moves! However, you can't teach speed!

and how can you keep a guy off the team who simply made plays?? This guy has to get a shot at least.
Keepin' it real
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'll happily accept the results so far. I'm particularly pleased that Mitchell caught my eye the first time I saw him. I've watched him closely and he's probably been the most pleasant surprise of the preseason, but even I didn't pick him for the 42-man roster. Last year Glover and Boden stood out for me on the first day of camp, and they're both still here.

I won't resurrect other predictions I made about Washington and Lyle Green being on the bubble. :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LOL ...

Yo, Coach Blitz ... I will run the gassers.

It was good fun picking the list.

Though I gotta say, how about you leaving Pottinger and Anderson off your original list? That could be worth a couple of gassers.

Here is the list of the 42 I sent in. Maybe it should have included the extra 4 for 46.

Non-Imports

1. Bates
2 Reid
3. Rasouli
4. Valli
5. Plante
6. Clermont
7. P. Jackson
8. Green
9. Bwenge
10. Anderson for Boden
11. B. Johnson
12. Kirk
13. Foley
14. Glatt
15. Clovis
16. Pottinger for Sedaghian
17. Craiggs or McCullough .... still to be determined
18. McCullough
19. Nicholson
20. McCallum

Imports

1. Murphy
2. Jiminez
3. Simon
4. Simmons for K. Jones
5. Rodgers
6. Wake
7. Hunt
8. T. Williams
9. J. Johson
10 Floyd
11. Marsh
12. Banks
13. Miles
14. Washington
15. Phillips
16. Glover
17. a linebacker - maybe Hannah for Smart
18. Knowlton
19. Smith

They are all still on the team.

Ian Smart is either on the 46 man roster or the 42, depending on who is dressed as kick returner that night. I certainly wouldn't cut him. And Hannah is on the 42 as I had guessed.

The only place you saw Lindstrom on my list was as development. I did have him ahead of Boden, though, with Boden also on my development list.

I had Simmons ahead of Jones.

McCullough was on my list twice as a mistake. He was always headed to the development roster.

Now I am thinking about the field just up the street from me. Every once in a while I do some running there. It is about that time. Thanks for the push.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

by the way, has anyone read the old classic: "Paper Lion" by George Plimpton? .... a great book about his Ian Walker type training camp with the Detroit Lions in the 1960s.

In the book they called the roster cut down night "the night of the squeaky shoes" as the messenger with bad news would come down the hallway seeking out the players to be cut ...... and the players on the bubble would cower in their rooms listening for the sound of the shoes .........

It's a great read.