Training Camp Day 4 - Afternoon Session

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Training Camp Day 4 – Afternoon
Weather – 60 and some sun.
Attendance – 20-25.
Equipment - Helmets and no pads.
Not dressed – #55 Sherko Haji-Rasouli (NI – 6’6â€
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Rammer
Team Captain

Dave looked like Dave, no doubt whos’ team this is. I don’t envy Wally and his staff trying to make a decision between which of the half dozen or so receivers to pick for the last spot. Mike Lindstrom stood out today making some great catches all day. Boden is there as well and with both of them being Imports that’s a bonus. Some of the others such as Flanagen, Rodgers and Johnson have speed to burn.
You may be showing a little bias in that line.... 8) :wink:

Good job, nice to see the weather break for you as well. It is a strange camp with next to nothing for spots available. Even trying to sort out what to do with draft picks is going to be hard to find on the PR........such is the life of a GC team with the nucleus plus returning. Thank goodness the SMS came at this time rather than when the Lions were struggling is all I can say.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Great photos, YiBC. Just one question about this one...
Yank In BC wrote:Ian Smart returing a punt
The yellow helmet (on Foley, that is?) kinda sticks out -- any particular reason for it?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
LFITQ
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Great photos, YiBC. Just one question about this one...
Yank In BC wrote:Ian Smart returing a punt
The yellow helmet (on Foley, that is?) kinda sticks out -- any particular reason for it?
Yellow "Toques" on the helmets help to determine who is on kick return and who is on Kick off coverage. (same with punt etc.)

As players from both O and D (black and white jerseys respectively) take part in ST, it can be difficult to see who is on which team. the yellow bonnets help that out.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good report ! :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
sj-roc wrote:The yellow helmet (on Foley, that is?) kinda sticks out -- any particular reason for it?
Yellow "Toques" on the helmets help to determine who is on kick return and who is on Kick off coverage. (same with punt etc.)

As players from both O and D (black and white jerseys respectively) take part in ST, it can be difficult to see who is on which team. the yellow bonnets help that out.
Thanks, LFITQ. There happened to be only one "yellowhead" in the photo so I thought perhaps he had some special role -- but your explanation makes sense because the interaction between him and #11 (Pottinger, I believe) suggests they're opponents on this play, and as you imply it saves the time and trouble of switching jerseys as otherwise needed. I don't know where or when this practice was innovated, but I bet whoever did so was prob in charge of the laundry! :)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The also use those helmet covers in practice to run their O vs an opponents D and vice versa as well as ST.

Tonight on TV Wally was suggesting that there is quite a battle going on for the spot Ricky Foley is ranked no. 1 and the TV crew interviewed one competitor, Derek Wake. That means of course nothing at this point.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CB123
Legend

The offense got the best of the D
lol I think thats almost a guarantee when playing without pads.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Dan Russell
Legend

Another great report here Yank.
Rammer
Team Captain

CB123 wrote:
The offense got the best of the D
lol I think thats almost a guarantee when playing without pads.
Also the Lions O with DD, BP and JJ all returning are solid on most of the O game plan, so that is expected.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Camp sure is different than it was back in the day. Vince Lombardi must be spinning in his grave with the proliferation of non-pad practices everywhere in pro football. I understand why coaches run them, but for fans those non-pad practices can get a little dull after a while...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great pix ... thanks for the report