James Curry Arrested

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Entertainment value = an all time low
lion24
Legend

it states he played in BC and Toronto. I seem to remember him playing a fair amount of his career with Saskatchewan?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=5176232

http://www.cbs47.tv/mediacenter/local.a ... eoId=63591

This is both a story and the local TV coverage on this.

It was shocking to their community- no one suspected problems it says. Another part of this is that last Thursday the story says Curry was in court on child abuse charges to which he plead not guilty (corporal punishment related).

The saddest part of all this is there are 3 children between the couple. How devastating that is to a family.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bosco
Team Captain

Curry also did TV work of CFL games on CBC.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

IIRC, James Curry was extremely well spoken but also had a reputation for losing his cool in games taking penalities of the Ojectionable Conduct variety. I always wondered why he didn't make a career with his voice after he retired. He certainly seemed to have the potential to be a Colour Guy or play by play announcer.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:IIRC, James Curry was extremely well spoken but also had a reputation for losing his cool in games taking penalities of the Ojectionable Conduct variety. I always wondered why he didn't make a career with his voice after he retired. He certainly seemed to have the potential to be a Colour Guy or play by play announcer.
As Bosco mentioned he was on the CBC for a while, in the early/mid 90s. He did colour with Dan Kepley (another CFL retiree who has had his own brushes with law, incidentally) for the 1994 Grey Cup.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So I have just discovered. Hmm. Don't remember doing this at all.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:it states he played in BC and Toronto. I seem to remember him playing a fair amount of his career with Saskatchewan?
:?
That TSN article posted by Rammer must have changed from the time you read it. When I open up the article, I see it states:

Authorities believe Curry, a former standout in the Canadian Football League with the Toronto Argonauts and Saskatchewan Roughriders,....
Lionut
Hall of Famer

My everlasting memory of James Curry is when he went after the knees of Pieter Vandenbos, tearing Peter's knee ligaments and putting him on the shelf for a while. Pieter swears up and down that Curry told him he was going to do it beforehand. Curry was a nasty, nasty piece of work.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Robbie
Hall of Famer

And my everlasting memory of James Curry was a rather controversial play he made in a game in July 1987 as a member of the Saskatchwan Roughriders. Repeating a post I made two years ago:

I?m still not clear whether a penalty should have been called in this situation and I hope somebody could help.

During the summer of 1987, there was a game between Toronto and Saskatchewan at Taylor Field. John Congemi was at QB for Toronto and playing for Saskatchewan was DT James Curry. During the play in question, Curry broke through the offensive line and was close to sacking Congemi when Congemi got the pass away. Curry stopped a foot away from Congemi as both men looked downfield at the pass that was tipped and then intercepted. As soon as Curry saw that the ball was intercepted, he immediately hit Congemi with a very hard block. Congemi was seriously injured on that play and couldn?t play much for the remainder of the season ? paving the way for Gilbert Renfroe.

The commentators really criticized Curry for his actions as well as the fact that no penalty was called on the play. Should a penalty have been called on the play and if it should have, what penalty would have been called? Since the ball was intercepted, then Curry had the right to block for his teammate, and he laid a legal, albeit sudden and hard block on Congemi as it was not below the waist nor from behind.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

In his book A Passing Game, Frank Cosentino made a passing reference to that incident:
...there was a feeling that the commissioner's power was being eroded. He had suspended Saskatchewan's James Curry for a hit on Argonaut quarterback John Congemi. The one-game suspension was not being served since Curry, with the backing of the Players' Association, had appealed.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:In his book A Passing Game, Frank Cosentino made a passing reference to that incident:
...there was a feeling that the commissioner's power was being eroded. He had suspended Saskatchewan's James Curry for a hit on Argonaut quarterback John Congemi. The one-game suspension was not being served since Curry, with the backing of the Players' Association, had appealed.
At that point in CFL, I don't think a penalty was applied and was the correct call at that point. I recall many players getting great joy to look for the QB after an INT, especially if the QB was preparing to go make a tackle. I believe that only recently has that become a penalty and only if the QB isn't making an attempt to stop the play. He is fair game if he goes towards the player with the ball, although with some of this years new rules, a player would have to be more controlled than Curry was then.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Wasn't Curry the guy that was working as a skycap at an airport (Seattle?) when the Lions brought him up to the CFL?.........later, he went back and bought the business.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't know whether he went back and bought the business but he was working at the airport when the Lions signed him.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

IIRC, I read about a player going back and buying the skycap business that he had worked for before coming up to the Lions..........I was just a little uncertain if Curry was the player.
Lloyd