Past BC Lions TRADES - Evaluate and Discuss - Good or Bad? (11 years later)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since we are in the off-season which will likely be extended, and since there's some recent other threads about history about Doug Flutie and the top 5 favourite Lions, then how about reviving this 13-year old thread which was last updated in 2009.

Since 2009, a lot has changed which includes BC Lions trades since 2009.

What do you think are some very good and very bad trades the BC Lions have made since 2009?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would like to respond to this but my mind aint so good these days. I cant seem to remember much in the way of trades this century, good, bad, or otherwise. I am sure however that nothing has been nearly as bad as trading away half of the best talent on the team for Dunigan.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
maxlion
Legend

Fun question! Not really a lot of trades to work with. A few that spring to mind in approximate order of impact:

1. Mike Reilly for 2nd round pick. In hindsight, an unfortunate trade due to Lulay's subsequent series of injuries, but that couldn't have been known at the time. Verdict: Lions lose big time.

2. Arland Bruce for 3rd round pick. Helped changed the course of the season and bring the 2011 cup to BC. Short but impactful stay with BC. Verdict: great trade for Lions.

3. Vernon Adams for 1st round pick. VA has turned into a legit starter but at the time it seemed like we had a future starter in Jennings. In hindsight, VA might have been a better gamble. Verdict: Fair exchange all things considered.

4. Olafioye for Foucault. Foucault filled a gap for a few years but never really lived up to his promise. Olafioye seemed to have a lost a step and returned to BC after a year. Verdict: BC wins.

5. 1st rounder for Kevin Glenn. Glenn was a decent stop gap for Lulay, but a very frustrating year. Not many other options. Verdict: probably worth the pick but can't really call it a win.
maxlion
Legend

One I forgot about:

Jerome Messam for a 5 round pick. Messam had some dominant seasons but also changed teams a lot. There were reports of locker room issues. Verdict: hard to assess.
johnchow604
Rookie

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:01 pm
I would like to respond to this but my mind aint so good these days. I cant seem to remember much in the way of trades this century, good, bad, or otherwise. I am sure however that nothing has been nearly as bad as trading away half of the best talent on the team for Dunigan.
I don't get why
1) Reggie Taylor, a backup Lions running back, became so dominating in Edmonton.
2) Why the Lions got robbed trading for Dunnigan and yet when we trade him to Toronto, we seemingly got robbed again?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:50 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
I don't get why
1) Reggie Taylor, a backup Lions running back, became so dominating in Edmonton.
2) Why the Lions got robbed trading for Dunnigan and yet when we trade him to Toronto, we seemingly got robbed again?
Not sure what your point is about RT except that it supports my opinion.

Lions gave away to much for Dunigan and didn't get back nearly the same. Thus, wrong end of the deal both times
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
johnchow604
Rookie

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 pm
johnchow604 wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
I don't get why
Not sure what your point is about RT except that it supports my opinion.

Lions gave away to much for Dunigan and didn't get back nearly the same. Thus, wrong end of the deal both times
I agree with your post. What made the deal sting the most for me was how good Reggie Taylor became .
Robbie
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
I don't get why
It's because in the 1988 season, there were only two starting running backs and both Anthony Parker and Tony Cherry were fairly well established with their starting roles, so Reggie Taylor became expendable.
johnchow604 wrote:
Because neither Joe Galat and Joe Kapp are good general managers.

Edmonton got six great long-term players from the Lions for Dunigan.

Whereas when the Lions sent Dunigan to the Argonauts, none of the six players they received became a great long-term player:

Quarterback Rick Johnson
Linebacker Willie Pless
Defensive tackle Jearld Baylis
Linebacker Tony Visco
Slotback Emmanuel Tolbert
Safety Todd Wiseman

Five of these six players retired shortly afterwards, while Willie Pless became a long-term all-star....but for the Eskimos. :bang:

I posted this link before and I'll post it again. This is an old TSN article from March 1990 about the Dunigan trade to the Argonauts by the Lions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CanyFNmJECI

Trying to be as fair as possible......did the Argonauts receive a lot with Dunigan in his two years with him in 1990? True, he won the 1991 Grey Cup but his many injuries limited him to just 8 games in both seasons and after 1991, he was not re-signed and let him go through free agency.

I stated numerous times that after losing Doug Flutie in the spring of 1992, instead of trading for Danny Barrett as their starting QB for the Lions in 1992 season, the Lions should have made a better effort to try to sign Matt Dunigan again after he became a free agent. Instead, he was scooped up by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers with whom he had there decent seasons with Grey Cup appearances in 1992 and 1993, along with a 713-yard record making game in 1994.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。