grey cup/ super bowl

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Robbie wrote:Peyton Manning got a brand new red Cadillac for his Super Bowl MVP performance (which I felt Rhodes deserved more) while Dickenson did not receive a new vehicle for his Grey Cup MVP performance. :bang:
GC MVP's used to receive a car........but, IIRC from something I recently read, when Doug Flutie (GC MVP) turned around during the presentation and handed the keys to Paul Masotti........well, lets just say the car manufacturer/sponsor was NOT impressed.........and they discontinued it.
But GMC still awards a truck for the CBC?s Walby?s Warrior of the Year. If they are still willing to sponsor that award, I hope they will be willing to re-sponsor the Grey Cup MVP award again.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

why? WHY? WHY?? :bang: :bang: :bang:

is groosman still in the game in the 4th quarter?

Whats wrong with these coaches that refuse to make a change?

he couldnt have done any worse!

How many bears fans thought they had a chance in the 2nd half with grossman and the terrible play selection?????

how many of those fans would have likeds the backup to come in and possibly provided a spark and a potential comeback??
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:But GMC still awards a truck for the CBC?s Walby?s Warrior of the Year. If they are still willing to sponsor that award, I hope they will be willing to re-sponsor the Grey Cup MVP award again.
Perhaps it goes back to the days when different auto companies were supplying the vehicles. Lui won a Dodge Ram in 1994, and before that, I know of Datsun/Nissan giving cars to MVP and MOC.

Perhaps GM, Daimler-Chrysler or Nissan (examples only) would want exclusivity for at least a few years. Or perhaps (in GM's case, anyway) they don't give as many away since the infamous Oprah Winfrey Pontiac G6 giveaway, where every person in Oprah's Studio audience got a new G6....and then the audience and public thanked Oprah, when GM gave them the cars, to the tune of some $7 million US.

Oprah and Pontiac

I'd be reluctant to give any more cars away too.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

sports & stuff----ric wrote:why? WHY? WHY?? :bang: :bang: :bang:

is groosman still in the game in the 4th quarter?

Whats wrong with these coaches that refuse to make a change?

he couldnt have done any worse!

How many bears fans thought they had a chance in the 2nd half with grossman and the terrible play selection?????

how many of those fans would have likeds the backup to come in and possibly provided a spark and a potential comeback??
No kidding. At the risk of exposing my less than stellar football savvy, watching Grossman yesterday I couldn't help but think that guys like Dickenson and Pierce and Ray and Printers, guys that excel in the CFL game but aren't given much a of chance in the NFL.......how could they do any worse in there? Ten bucks says DD could drive the Bears downfield better than Grossman.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:Lui won a Dodge Ram in 1994
I heard so many conflicting stories about this. First of all, Lui was NOT the MVP of the 1994 Grey Cup, so he certainly did not win a Dodge Ram outright like Karl Anthony. So did Dodge give him a brand new truck as a present on the side, or did they just give him a one year free lease on the truck?
Perhaps GM, Daimler-Chrysler or Nissan (examples only) would want exclusivity for at least a few years. Or perhaps (in GM's case, anyway) they don't give as many away since the infamous Oprah Winfrey Pontiac G6 giveaway, where every person in Oprah's Studio audience got a new G6....and then the audience and public thanked Oprah, when GM gave them the cars, to the tune of some $7 million US.
It's a good piont regarding the different sponsors. I hope the CFL can strike up a good, long-term contract with a vehicle manufacturer so they can continue such awards.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Those two interceptions by Grossman were inexcusable. Poorly thrown.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:[ First of all, Lui was NOT the MVP of the 1994 Grey Cup, so he certainly did not win a Dodge Ram outright like Karl Anthony. So did Dodge give him a brand new truck as a present on the side, or did they just give him a one year free lease on the truck?
He was the Most Valuable Canadian, and was awarded the truck in the dressing room after the game; I have the sequence on DVD, and so do many others here.

If Dodge took it away, then that's up to them. It has prevented me from ever visiting one of their showrooms since, though.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A big similarity between the two championship games was that in both cases, the team with the indoor home stadium managed to adapt to the outdoor weather to win the game. One would think that the team with the outdoor home stadium would be better adapted to inclement weather.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:A big similarity between the two championship games was that in both cases, the team with the indoor home stadium managed to adapt to the outdoor weather to win the game. One would think that the team with the outdoor home stadium would be better adapted to incremental weather.
Man do I detest this theory. The Lions for the most part practice outdoors in the rain as often as not, and is a reason that I believe they have one of the better records against the Eskimos versus other CFL teams. When it gets cold, you are going to have players look to bundle up like Sean Millington and others that will go out in shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt ala Clermont. In either case you have to perform out on the field, and I don't see any advantage for a team that plays outdoors for 18 games, when an indoor team will have to play outdoors for up to 9 games as well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like the weather having an impact. If the weather is not going to have an impact all teams in whatever league (CFL or NFL) should play in covered stadiums. I think football is meant to be played in whatever conditions (save electrical storms) are in existence. The NFL went to a lot of trouble by having its Turfmiester grow a sandbased turf that would last in the type of conditions that exister yesterday. I love the CFL/Grey Cup in part because any city has a chance to host the championship game and weather may have an impact if the game is played outdoors.
O'Shea

CB123 wrote:the game today was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.
Agreed.... I managed to catch a nice little nap during the game :sleep: and catch up on some sleep I missed earlier in the weekend.

Pro Bowl is all that's left of football for me this season. :bawl:
Rammer
Team Captain

O'Shea wrote:
Agreed.... I managed to catch a nice little nap during the game :sleep: and catch up on some sleep I missed earlier in the weekend.

yet we could have done without the snoring..... :sleep: :sleep:
Entertainment value = an all time low
O'Shea

Rammer wrote:yet we could have done without the snoring..... :sleep: :sleep:
Okay... the snoring couldn't be helped... I had a busy weekend!!! It's not like I was planning on a nap... the game kind of lulled me into one... you have to admit most of it was rather boring.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A big difference is that unlike the city of Vancouver with its Lions, the city of Indianapolis held a huge parade for the Colts across town despite the cold weather, ending with a huge celebration rally inside the RCA Dome.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

O'Shea wrote:

If you think the Super Bowl was boring, just wait for the Pro Bowl. :lol: