grey cup/ super bowl

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Peyton Manning won the Pro Bowl MVP in 2005. With his latest Super Bowl MVP award, he joins an extremely elite group to have been selected as MVP of an NFL Regular Season, a Super Bowl, and a Pro Bowl. :s:

Not even the other historical quarterback greats like Joe Montana, John Elway, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Mark Rypien, and Terry Bradshaw can boast of having won all three different kinds of MVP's.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:A big similarity between the two championship games was that in both cases, the team with the indoor home stadium managed to adapt to the outdoor weather to win the game. One would think that the team with the outdoor home stadium would be better adapted to incremental weather.
I think the word you mean is "inclement". Incremental means something entirely different.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
swervin
Rookie

Solar Max wrote:
Robbie wrote:[ First of all, Lui was NOT the MVP of the 1994 Grey Cup, so he certainly did not win a Dodge Ram outright like Karl Anthony. So did Dodge give him a brand new truck as a present on the side, or did they just give him a one year free lease on the truck?
He was the Most Valuable Canadian, and was awarded the truck in the dressing room after the game; I have the sequence on DVD, and so do many others here.

If Dodge took it away, then that's up to them. It has prevented me from ever visiting one of their showrooms since, though.
As Most Valuable Canadian he was awarded a year lease on the truck, not the truck outright. IIRC Karl Anthony was awarded a truck outright and told them to take the keys and stuff it [where the sun dont shine]. Real class. Just like the rest of the "colts" that season.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:A big similarity between the two championship games was that in both cases, the team with the indoor home stadium managed to adapt to the outdoor weather to win the game. One would think that the team with the outdoor home stadium would be better adapted to incremental weather.
I think the word you mean is "inclement". Incremental means something entirely different.
Ooops. :oops:
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

TheLionKing wrote: That bugs me too but that is so typical. They love to proclaim themselves as "World Champions" in football and baseball. I'm surprised that the NBA hasn't proclaim their champions as "World Champions" but it's just a matter of time.
Well, they are world champions of American (i.e. 4-down) football... which is kind of like being a world champion in hurling or lacrosse in terms of geographic spread.

Unless the Lions or some team from Japan thinks they can do better...
Robbie
Hall of Famer

swervin wrote:
Solar Max wrote:
Robbie wrote:[ First of all, Lui was NOT the MVP of the 1994 Grey Cup, so he certainly did not win a Dodge Ram outright like Karl Anthony. So did Dodge give him a brand new truck as a present on the side, or did they just give him a one year free lease on the truck?
He was the Most Valuable Canadian, and was awarded the truck in the dressing room after the game; I have the sequence on DVD, and so do many others here.

If Dodge took it away, then that's up to them. It has prevented me from ever visiting one of their showrooms since, though.
As Most Valuable Canadian he was awarded a year lease on the truck, not the truck outright. IIRC Karl Anthony was awarded a truck outright and told them to take the keys and stuff it [where the sun dont shine]. Real class. Just like the rest of the "colts" that season.
I believe as Most Valuable Canadian, Lui also won a trip to somewhere. I feel really sorry for Sean Millington who was originally named the Most Valuable Canadian by CBC, but was then left to nothing after the correction was made. At least he got some redemption in 2000.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
lion24 wrote: the difference is that manning is apparently a "world champion" and dickenson a grey cup champion? this has always bugged me a bit!!
That bugs me too but that is so typical. They love to proclaim themselves as "World Champions" in football and baseball. I'm surprised that the NBA hasn't proclaim their champions as "World Champions" but it's just a matter of time.
Where have you been. The NFL, MLB and NBA .....or perhaps I should say the American media has declared the champions of each "World Champions" for many years. Just pick your favourite search engine and see how many hits you get on the phrase "world champion Miami Heat".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

swervin wrote:
Solar Max wrote:

I recall that there was some sort of problem taking the vehicle by someone in the US. Lui did get that one year lease vehicle but it was not a Dodge Ram truck. IIRC it was a green SUV, GM product and the name is escaping me for some reason. Sheesh the name is on the tip of my tongue.

Wasn't there some sort of controversy concerning who was awarded what but was that a different year?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Well, it wasn't raining so badly at the start... so it was incrementally inclement!
MacNews
Team Captain

It was funny reading how this was the 'first' time it rained heavily during the Superbowl, it struck me at how young the Superbowl is compared to the Grey Cup.

I thought to myself "If they haven't had a downpour before, then I guess a mud or fog bowl is out of the question!"
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:It was funny reading how this was the 'first' time it rained heavily during the Superbowl, it struck me at how young the Superbowl is compared to the Grey Cup.
According to Wikipedia, a potential venue currently must meet these qualifications in order to be a Super Bowl host:

1. Average high temperature of at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit in February, unless the game is being played in an indoor arena.

2. Stadium with 65,000 seats or more.

3. Space for 10 photo trailers and 40 television trucks.

4. 600,000 square feet of exhibit space for fan events.

5. Large, high-end hotel for teams and NFL.

6. 50,000 square feet of space for news media ("Radio Row").

7. Enough "quality" hotel rooms within a one-hour drive for 35% of the stadium's capacity.

8. Separate practice facilities for each team.

It appears that condition #1 automatically disqualifies many NFL cities. Kudos to the CFL for not having these conditions, allowing all eight (or nine) cities to host the Grey Cup every couple of years.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:According to Wikipedia, a potential venue currently must meet these qualifications in order to be a Super Bowl host:

1. Average high temperature of at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit in February, unless the game is being played in an indoor arena.

(snip)

It appears that condition #1 automatically disqualifies many NFL cities. Kudos to the CFL for not having these conditions, allowing all eight (or nine) cities to host the Grey Cup every couple of years.
If the CFL had those conditions, every Grey Cup would be in BC Place 8)
2. Stadium with 65,000 seats or more.
Hmmm, scratch that...
Hambone
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:It was funny reading how this was the 'first' time it rained heavily during the Superbowl, it struck me at how young the Superbowl is compared to the Grey Cup.

I thought to myself "If they haven't had a downpour before, then I guess a mud or fog bowl is out of the question!"
Really depends on how you look at it. The Super Bowl came about as part of the proposed merger between the National Football League and the rival American Football League. In 1966 the leagues agreed to merge as of the 1970 season. Prior to 1967 the NFL league finale was known simply as the NFL Championship Game going back to the NFL's origin in 1920 which was 37 years before there was an entity officially known as the CFL. The AFL which came into being in 1960 had their own championship game. From 1967 thru 1970 the winners of the NFL faced the winners of the AFL in the "World Championship Game". Lamar Hunt coined the phrase "Super Bowl" and it stuck. However you won't see that phrase on a ticket stub until the 4th Super Bowl with the now familiar Roman numeral showing for the first time on Super Bowl V tickets. So yes the Super Bowl is young, but the NFL Championship came into being just over a decade after the first Grey Cup was played. No doubt over the years many NFL championships were played in mud and snow and maybe even fog.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:It appears that condition #1 automatically disqualifies many NFL cities. Kudos to the CFL for not having these conditions, allowing all eight (or nine) cities to host the Grey Cup every couple of years.
If the CFL had those conditions Lord Earl Grey's goblet would be sitting in a closet in the back of the HOF waiting for the first Grey Cup game to happen. ;-)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:No doubt over the years many NFL championships were played in mud and snow and maybe even fog.
And ice.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.