New Whitecaps Stadium to accomodate CFL sized field

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

Well now hang on. I understood that the new stadium would not accomodate a CFL sized field but in today's Province I read otherwise.

I guess what I am now wondering is if David Braley has inside information about the future of BC Place that he's not publically revealing.

I can only assume that he IS talking to Kerfoot
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

not likely
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
smphantom
Legend

The best part was Lenarduzzi suggested a retractable roof may be included :thup:
Waterfront stadium gains momentum

By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium may have a retractable roof and a field big enough for Canadian football, according to Bob Lenarduzzi.

The proposed soccer stadium near Gastown would remain a 15,000-seater, with possible expansion to 30,000.

Lenarduzzi conceded the seating capacity remains too low to lure the B.C. Lions from B.C. Place Stadium.

Lenarduzzi hopes the project can go to the rezoning stage this summer after yesterday's unanimous council vote to integrate the stadium with the central waterfront hub study.

Jon Stovell, who led last summer's anti-stadium campaign, and Gastown Business Improvement Association manager Leanore Sali applauded the Whitecaps on the site change.

"It has the potential to be exciting for our neighbourhood," Sali said.

Whitecaps hope to open the stadium for the 2010 Winter Olympics
Stay thirsty my friends.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

30,000 seatings isn't going to cut it in the CFL
120dB
Legend

So where does this leave the Lions? The Premier wants to tear down the Stadium after 2011 and Waterfront Stadium is too small for the Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:So where does this leave the Lions? The Premier wants to tear down the Stadium after 2011 and Waterfront Stadium is too small for the Lions.
That's the $64,000 question. Only time will tell
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

120dB wrote:So where does this leave the Lions? The Premier wants to tear down the Stadium after 2011 and Waterfront Stadium is too small for the Lions.
who knows....we shall see
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I expect the future of B.C. Place to be a contentious issue in the next provincial election (2009?).

The NDP are already on record saying the dome should stay and blasted the handling of the recent roof collapse, suggesting they should be ordering a new one instead of a patch job, especially prior to 2010.

The CFL field size was question raised by David Cadman during Thursday's city council meeting. I think this has more to do with the Whitecaps wanting to make sure the stadium is accommodating and multi-purpose as possible to jump through the necessary political hoops than it is wanting the Lions to come aboard.
CB123
Legend

The NDP are already on record saying the dome should stay and blasted the handling of the recent roof collapse, suggesting they should be ordering a new one instead of a patch job, especially prior to 2010.
Yeah, well go figure seeing as they?re the opposition... I would trust the NDP with BC Ferries before I would trust them with BC Place.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
almo89
Legend

CB123 wrote:
Yeah, well go figure seeing as they?re the opposition... I would trust the NDP with BC Ferries before I would trust them with BC Place.
I was thinking the same thing :lol:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's the thing being in opposition. They can criticize and say all they want because they're not being held accountable.
120dB
Legend

First off, the original Whitecaps proposal was for a 15,000 seat stadium. All consideration as to impact on the surrounding environment is relevant to 15,000 fans attending an event. Not 40 or 50,000.

You can't just change the rules halfway through the game. The Whitecaps first have to convince the City of the feasibility of such a project.

Secondly, the proposed road network for a 15,000 is quite a bit different than a 50,000.

The residents of Gastown were under the impression that the proposal was for a 15,000. All the studies and Open Houses (one of which I attended) were assuming for 15,000 seats. Now if you increase it to 50,000, you could very much have more opposition to the project just based on traffic considerations.

In other words, what you're saying is that this project is changing and evolving even as we speak?
Thompson Valley Lion

There is no way Braley will go for anything at 30,000 or less for the simple reason such a move would preclude the Grey Cup from being staged in Vancouver (assuming the Dome is gone following 2010).
Hosting the big game is big bucks, as Winnipeg discovered this year when the game allowed the Bombers to retire their debt and, in fact, establish a little fund for the future.
Even if the Whitecaps and Lions were to agree on sharing a 15,000-30,000 outdoor stadium that had terrifics sightlines, breathtaking views and great location, the fact that a Grey Cup could not be held there would negate it from the beginning.
Braley knows the real money is in hosting the title tile every three to five years.
Now, if the stadium was to remain for trade shows and the like, and the Lions could use it as the Als now use Olympic Stadium (for a Cup game, a playoff game and the odd big rivalry game), then that's a different matter.
But with vultures like Bob Rennie not content to be filthy rich, and wishing to be filthy stinking rich, methinks the Dome is done within the next decade...
120dB
Legend

you sure the Lions might not be done within a decade?