Empire Stadium Replay Screen

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

firstandgoal wrote:Here it is. Grey square looking area on the right side of the scoreboard.
That's awesome firstandgoal. Where did you find that image? That's exactly how I remember it with the "Export" cigarettes scoreboard down the north end of the field behind the Woodwards Quarterback section. As D pointed out, this replay screen seemed to remain intact long after Empire Stadium was demolished.

Thanks for the memories (and who could forget the convoy of buses along Hastings on gamedays?), but now I miss Empire. :bawl:

:lol:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
firstandgoal
Rookie

Glad you liked the picture :wink:

When the end of Empire Stadium was in sight, (demolition time that is circa 1992) the Vancouver Sun sold a soft-covered book called "The Vancouver Sun Presents Stadium Stories...the Empire Stadium Scrapbook" I have it sitting here in front of me. Lots of cool pictures (the one of the scoreboard actually is the back cover of this book and shows the whole stadium and is dated Sept. 13th, 1970.) The book includes; shots of stadium construction, the Empire Games, Miracle Mile, the Lions, High School track and field, Whitecaps, special events (they actually had a ski jumping competition in there....a huge jump, interesting picture!), concerts etc. Cool memorabilia. I remember buying this for $15 or so bucks. I had forgot about it until I read the post and it made me dig it out and go down memory lane!

Published by: Stadium Productions Ltd. 163 -916 West Broadway, V5Z 1K7 circal 1992

Miss the old stadium....at least when the sun is shining! :yes:
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
almo89
Legend

firstandgoal wrote:Here it is. Grey square looking area on the right side of the scoreboard.
How come I can't see anything?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

almo89 wrote:
The picture was dated Sept.13, 1970. That was the Paul Brothers era. There were no highlights to replay. ;-)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ah, the Inter-High School Track and Field meet. Good times indeed.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Try viewing the thread when you are logged in.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In this overhead view of the stadium, it appears that you can also spot the replay screen towards the upper right corner of the picture.

MacNews
Team Captain

You guys are too cool, is there any mystery you can't unfold? 8)
firstandgoal
Rookie

That is the same picture I used, just zoomed and cropped it a little bit. :thup:
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
nelson95
Legend

I rarely remember it being that full....or that nice out :wink:
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

change your pop up blocker to off. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

nice work!
Lionut
Hall of Famer

My understanding of that Empire Stadium replay screen was that it was a little ahead of its time - much like the roof at the Big "O", they could never make it work properly, and just gave up. If you actually saw it in operation, I'm betting it was a little like seeing a game of "Pong" on your TV screen today -- charmingly retro, but hopelessly antiquated. Still, it would be interesting to find out exactly what kind of technology they did try to use...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
TheZeppo
Starter

Robbie wrote:In this overhead view of the stadium, it appears that you can also spot the replay screen towards the upper right corner of the picture.
Great shot Robbie! You can also see the north end scoreboard, which
I don't recall ever being used after the south end one was built.

Another interesting aspect of this picture involves the number of
people sitting in the north end zone, both in the bleachers, and on
the grassy slope in the northwest corner. Perhaps this answers my
question about how there could have been 34-35,000 people in a
stadium with only 32,000 seats.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I vaguely recollect this now. IIRC, this booth replaced the old score board and I do think I did see some replays on it at least once I 'd assume. I don't recall if it was any good or not or very grainy and poor.

Nice find though!