Braley wants to buy B.C. Place ......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:would the lions get the concessions and stuff if he bought BC Place?
That would all depend on how the different businesses are structured. In all likelihood they would remain seperate entities on the books. It would all depend on what sort of rental contract Braley's BC Lions Football Club would be able to negotiate with Braley's BC Place Corporation. Often what fuels a desire for such a purchase are the synergies that come out of owning both businesses. That could come from combining staffs and eliminating redundent positions. For the Lions maybe they get out of the Surrey practice facility and use BC Place exclusively.

To put the concession thing into perspective I used to work for Canfor's Englewood Logging Division on Vancouver Island where logs were the end product. One of our customers was Canfor's Eburne Sawmill which used to be under the north end of the Arthur Lang Bridge. Englewood was always profitable and Eburne lost money every year. It would've been easy to make Eburne's bottom line look better if Canfor "sold" the logs internally at a reduced rate. But that would only serve to understate the profitability of the Englewood operation. Thus logs were transfered at market value so both divisions' books could reflect the true picture of the different businesses.

Similarly it would make no sense to see the Lions "get" the concessions. That would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. It would make the Lions' books look better but would understate the operational value of the BC Place side of the business. At the end of the day everything would be a wash in Braley's pockets but the reality is it would probably be more desirable for him if he owned both to have BC Place's bottom line to be black than for the Lions'.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Now that the Lions are profitable and on solid footing, "Jimmy come lately's" name has popped out of the woodwork.
that kind of an unfair statement since as far as I know, JP himself has said nothing. This other peoples speculation. He is a business person who doesnt "LOVE" football. Thats ok. Thats his choice and right. Doesnt make him a bad person. I dont see Braley, or anyone else giving a million to stanley park. Personal choice as to what is important. No wrong there at all.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
120dB
Legend

Everything was so quiet and peaceful before the roof tear. Nobody was talking about tearing down the dome.

Now the roof tears and everyone is going ballistic about the Stadium. People wanna hurt the Stadium. They wanna tear it down. This is terrible.

It's such a pretty nice Stadium.

All this talk is upsetting me.... sniffle...
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:Everything was so quiet and peaceful before the roof tear. Nobody was talking about tearing down the dome.

Now the roof tears and everyone is going ballistic about the Stadium. People wanna hurt the Stadium. They wanna tear it down. This is terrible.

It has served its purpose. Time to tear it down and build another one in Surrey, or somewhere less logistically challenged.
MacNews
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:It has served its purpose. Time to tear it down and build another one in Surrey, or somewhere less logistically challenged.
Seems to me everywhere but the current location is logistically challenged.
Last edited by MacNews on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:It has served its purpose. Time to tear it down and build another one in Surrey, or somewhere less logistically challenged.
Huh?!?!?! Move it to Surrey or somewhere less logistically challenged?!?!?!

The least logistically challenged location is right where it sits now. Seabus/Skytrain from the North Shore. Skytrain lines to Surrey, New Westminster and Coquitlam all funnel into downtown Vancouver. Soon Skytrain will be coming in from Richmond and planned links will eventually have it out to UBC. The downtown core may not be the easiest to get into in a car, but expanding public transit lines all point to downtown. Stick a stadium out in Surrey where most would have to drive instead of using rapid transit would be a huge mistake. Years ago many new sports facilities were built in the 'burbs for cheaper land costs and to facilitate more parking. Now most are built in downtown cores as catalysts for development. Cities that built arenas or stadiums out in the suburbs usually regret it. One of the biggest problems with the Big Owe is that it was built in an area of Montreal where nobody goes. Ditto for the Corel Centre built out in the boonies of Kanata instead of downtown Ottawa. Even here in Prince George it's widely acknowledged they made a big mistake building the 6000 seat Multiplex up at the Exhibition Grounds near a light industrial area instead of downtown where the hospitality industry could really have benefitted from its presence. One pub managed to secure land nearby and relocated to reap some benefits but there is no other property close at hand for further development. In the meantime the downtown core which could do with an economic shot in the arm continues to decay.
LFITQ
Team Captain

One Pub? c'mon Dale there are 2 pubs near the multiplex ...

JJ's and Alfredo's .... Granted Alfredo's is a little further away but it is the closest you could get land to it...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:One Pub? c'mon Dale there are 2 pubs near the multiplex ...

JJ's and Alfredo's .... Granted Alfredo's is a little further away but it is the closest you could get land to it...
I keep forgetting about Alfredos. Whatta dump. At least it was last time I was in there about 10 years ago. Never saw any reason to go back. Of course it was there sometime before the Multiplex. One only has to get past 15 soccer pitches, the horse corrals, Aquatic Centre and the parking lots......uphill both ways in a snow storm to see a game or concert from there. ;-)
jim604
All Star

Lion Guy wrote:
120dB wrote:Everything was so quiet and peaceful before the roof tear. Nobody was talking about tearing down the dome.

It has served its purpose. Time to tear it down and build another one in Surrey, or somewhere less logistically challenged.
Surrey?? NOO The downtown location of our sports venues are AWESOME locales. What better of a night can you ask for.. a game and a night on the town...100's of places to eat and drink within 2 miles.... Great for our city. Or, theres a game, and a trip to surrey central. no thanks. Any visitors get to see how beautifull our city is.... the wont get that opportunity in Surrey :P lol.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The least logistically challenged location is right where it sits now. Seabus/Skytrain from the North Shore. Skytrain lines to Surrey, New Westminster and Coquitlam all funnel into downtown Vancouver.
..and all go to Surrey......
The downtown core may not be the easiest to get into in a car,
Thank you...you're doing great
Cities that built arenas or stadiums out in the suburbs usually regret it
Surrey is no longer a suburb...it rivals Vancouver in size and population.
In the meantime the downtown core which could do with an economic shot in the arm continues to decay.
Last time I checked, our downtown core was doing just fine. It has GM Place....it doesn't need 2.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Huh?!?!?! Move it to Surrey or somewhere less logistically challenged?!?!?!

The least logistically challenged location is right where it sits now. Seabus/Skytrain from the North Shore. Skytrain lines to Surrey, New Westminster and Coquitlam all funnel into downtown Vancouver. Soon Skytrain will be coming in from Richmond and planned links will eventually have it out to UBC. The downtown core may not be the easiest to get into in a car, but expanding public transit lines all point to downtown. Stick a stadium out in Surrey where most would have to drive instead of using rapid transit would be a huge mistake. Years ago many new sports facilities were built in the 'burbs for cheaper land costs and to facilitate more parking. Now most are built in downtown cores as catalysts for development. Cities that built arenas or stadiums out in the suburbs usually regret it. One of the biggest problems with the Big Owe is that it was built in an area of Montreal where nobody goes. Ditto for the Corel Centre built out in the boonies of Kanata instead of downtown Ottawa. Even here in Prince George it's widely acknowledged they made a big mistake building the 6000 seat Multiplex up at the Exhibition Grounds near a light industrial area instead of downtown where the hospitality industry could really have benefitted from its presence. One pub managed to secure land nearby and relocated to reap some benefits but there is no other property close at hand for further development. In the meantime the downtown core which could do with an economic shot in the arm continues to decay.
I agree. It's centrally located to the Skytrain, Seabus, hotels, bars, theatres etc. Best location IMO
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As was stated previously, most North American cities have followed Vancouver's example and built new stadiums downtown, where there is central access to public transit and where they are close to major hotels, bars, restaurants and other venues.

As a Valley resident, I reserve the right to whine and complain about traffic headed into town on game night but I'd rather do that than have a stadium in Whalley.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:As a Valley resident, I reserve the right to whine and complain about traffic headed into town on game night but I'd rather do that than have a stadium in Whalley.
Just be thankful BC Place/GM Place isn't like the NJ Meadowlands or Philadelphia's sports area, where Lincoln Financial, Citizens Bank Park, the Wachovia Spectrum and Wachovia Center, where the majority of the people funnel in a couple of directions (north, east or west).
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:As a Valley resident, I reserve the right to whine and complain about traffic headed into town on game night but I'd rather do that than have a stadium in Whalley.
Just be thankful BC Place/GM Place isn't like the NJ Meadowlands or Philadelphia's sports area, where Lincoln Financial, Citizens Bank Park, the Wachovia Spectrum and Wachovia Center, where the majority of the people funnel in a couple of directions (north, east or west).
I actually don't have a problem with what Philadelphia chose to do with their stadiums, because their downtown core didn't need the stadiums for development purposes. It's a nice arrangement, to me. Broad Street takes you west, the freeways take you in the other directions.
I know it's home sweet home and all....

but it's a dump. All of those domes are. Even Skydome looks and feels like 1989. The RCA dome is on borrowed time. The Silverdome is due to be torn down this spring. The Big Owe looks like a set piece from the Battlestar Galactica series. I would be on david's side of the fence on the outdoor issue, except that weather is such a factor for the casual fan base in Vancouver that I think you need a retractable roof.

I am with putting the stadium downtown, as are the majority of posters. It can serve as a catalyist for downtown rehabilitation wherever you put the new stadium.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
The least logistically challenged location is right where it sits now. Seabus/Skytrain from the North Shore. Skytrain lines to Surrey, New Westminster and Coquitlam all funnel into downtown Vancouver.
..and all go to Surrey......
The downtown core may not be the easiest to get into in a car,
Thank you...you're doing great
Cities that built arenas or stadiums out in the suburbs usually regret it
Surrey is no longer a suburb...it rivals Vancouver in size and population.
In the meantime the downtown core which could do with an economic shot in the arm continues to decay.
Last time I checked, our downtown core was doing just fine. It has GM Place....it doesn't need 2.
That all lines go to Surrey is comforting to all the folks from the North Shore, West End, Yaletown, Kitsilano etc as they walk past or Skytrain past the old stadium site enroute to Surrey. Ditto for any Richmond people eagerly awaiting the opening of the Canada Line so they can Skytrain it into the downtown core for football games. Oh they could still do that to a Surrey stadium because they'd have to take the train into downtown Vancouver to make the transfer to go out to Surrey. That's of course based on the assumption that a potential BC Place replacement in Surrey is even near a Skytrain station.

Some people think getting to downtown in a vehicle is a pain. Other than dealing with congestion at peak times I have no problems getting around downtown myself and I drive a full-sized 4x4. Personally I'd much rather be driving within the city limits of the City of Vancouver than anywhere south of the Fraser that isn't on Hwy 1 or 99. I get more stressed driving around Richmond or Surrey than I do in Vancouver or Burnaby. My worst recent driving experience in the lower mainland was going from the Tsawassen ferry terminal out to Abbotsford for Lions training camp. Took 2 freakin' hours just to get to Hwy 1 through Surrey and Langley. Normally I'd go through Horseshoe Bay but I had meetings near Duke Point that day. Note to self: never ever take Duke Point ferry again unless you're going to Seattle.

Yes your downtown core is doing fine and you can thank BC Place for that. It became an anchor tenant on False Creek and begat the need for an adjacent Skytrain station. No doubt the presence of BC Place and that same Skytrain station played a big role in Arthur Griffith's decision for the GM Place site. And in turn the combination of those two facilities has played a big role in the investment by the hotel industry in the new properties that have sprung up around BC Place. If it wasn't for BC Place and it's 200+ days of use combined with GM Place's contributions there's probably still only the Sandman and Georgian Court there. Those stadiums and the hospitality industry surrounding them feed off each other. Removal of BC Place from the mix would be a big blow to the capital invested in that area.