Oh not not another QB poll

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What is your personal preference

I hope he sticks down south
53%
I hope he is released and becomes Lions property
48%

Total votes: 40
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Casey's aspirations aside for a moment (I would never wish that his dream be thwarted), he is a tremendous asset if
a) he were cut and cleared waivers
b) he could be convinced to come back to the Lions

Whether we keep him or trade him is another matter. Personally, I think he would probably be better as trade material as I can't see him and DD on the same team but I won't presume whats best on that score. If we were to trade him we should be able to get a whole lot for him and set this team up for the next 3 or 4 years at least.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
bc49 wrote:Actually that is every players dream. One of the sad aspects of the CFL game is that nobody really wants to be here if given the option.
I suppose it might be every high school player's dream to play at USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Miami, Florida State, Tennessee, Texas, Auburn, LSU, etc. But there's nothing sad about playing at Fresno State, Boise State, Utah, Central Florida, Southern Miss, Louisville, Toledo, Northwestern, etc. Great football players have played at those places and many like them, and those teams and many like them have played great football games. Those programs are loved by their fans and supported for what they are - the same should be the case here and there should be nothing sad about it.
Very well said.
jerepeters
Rookie

I'd like to see Casey printers in a NFL Uniform but if we can get him back Dave Dickenson is a great QB but need a ace in the hole for playoffs and his ability to run and throw opposing defences off is a damm bonus and he can be a great if he plays his cards right :rockin:
bc49
Hall of Famer

What kind of approximate money would CP make if he was 3rd string down there as compared to whatever it was Buono was offering, something in the million dollar multi year . . . I forget what the Printers final offer was from the Lions.
Where is he better off financially?

As far as playing time it's a no brainer!
squishy35
Legend

I would like to see him back here signed to a 3+1 deal if he doesn't stick it in the NFL.

I think DD is a great QB and a great leader; But CP just has too much to :

a) not sign him to a new contract if he becomes available, and,

b) he is too valuable to trade to another franchise in this league.

I think Buono sees that too; otherwise he would not have offered CP the $400,000 + that was offered in the offseason. :cr:
Rammer
Team Captain

bc49 wrote:What kind of approximate money would CP make if he was 3rd string down there as compared to whatever it was Buono was offering, something in the million dollar multi year . . . I forget what the Printers final offer was from the Lions.
Where is he better off financially?

As far as playing time it's a no brainer!
Dollar for dollar and the currency exchange factored in, roughly the same, not sure on te tax hit though. He would have been a starter here, but his window for the NFL may have closed if he signed in BC. So this is his one homerun swing at the NFL, if he doesn't succeed, it will be back to the CFL next season.

Oh IIRC, he was offered up around $1.4M Canadian for three seasons.
Entertainment value = an all time low
O'Shea

pinkfreud wrote:I want him to make it in the NFL, if that's his dream.
Agreed :thup:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have not been a printers fan. Didnt like a lot of stuff that supposedly came out of the Printers ""camp", and I thought he got too much acclaim too fast and didnt pay proper dues to prove his long term worth. OTOH, he never did anything wrong to me, so why would I selfishly wish him to fail at his endeavor, just cause it might be benefitial to my team\league.

Therefore, bottom line, I wish him all the luck, and if he wants to make it in the NFL, I hope he does. Not too sure I will cheer that hard for him...but I might, if he lands on the right team. KC is not it though
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I hope he sticks for his sake and so that he's a non-CFL issue. I think Printers recognizes the CFL-game is probably a better fit for his talents. I really like how he put it after a close loss in Montreal last year, IIRC. Something along the lines of 'you've got a great game up here and it's a pleasure playing here'.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I hope he sticks for his sake and so that he's a non-CFL issue. I think Printers recognizes the CFL-game is probably a better fit for his talents. I really like how he put it after a close loss in Montreal last year, IIRC. Something along the lines of 'you've got a great game up here and it's a pleasure playing here'.
If this were true, then why is he in the NFL pursuing his dream?

Right now, I cannot think of a worse scenario than to have CP back in BC in the next month. Talk about a huge disruption. That has disaster written all over it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Money, but can you blame him. His pro career will be short. 10 years is a great long pr football career to be able to play and stay healthy.

I never blame these guys for taking a shot down south to help them and their wifes/kids have a secure financial future. It's not a knock on the CFL or Canada just a reality.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Right now, I cannot think of a worse scenario than to have CP back in BC in the next month. Talk about a huge disruption. That has disaster written all over it.
I was thinking the same thing, but I am not sure this would be the case. Casey couldn't expect to come in here and play a major role. I would hope he would be somewhat humbled by his NFL experience and return as a positive influence and state so publically.

Wally would need to set the record straight right off the bat...this is how it's going to be...

I still think he'll ride it out on a practice roster down there, unless he's fallen so far out of favour they cut their losses. But someone brought up a good point. With most of Casey's contract this paid up front, he becomes a very nice option for a team that plays a little mopre open style and may need some QB depth, with very little counting towards the cap.

He'll then have to decide whats best for him next year.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, but I am not sure this would be the case. Casey couldn't expect to come in here and play a major role. I would hope he would be somewhat humbled by his NFL experience and return as a positive influence and state so publically.

Wally would need to set the record straight right off the bat...this is how it's going to be...

I still think he'll ride it out on a practice roster down there, unless he's fallen so far out of favour they cut their losses. But someone brought up a good point. With most of Casey's contract this paid up front, he becomes a very nice option for a team that plays a little mopre open style and may need some QB depth, with very little counting towards the cap.

He'll then have to decide whats best for him next year.
I agree. CP is going to do everything he can to make the NFL this time around, as he isn't likely to get another. If he comes back, he will be here to earn a living, and not earn playing time for highlight reel tape for the NFL. It should make a difference in his outlook as long as the money is good.
Entertainment value = an all time low
bc49
Hall of Famer

But if he comes back next CFL season would he not be a free agent and able to sign with the highest bidder (aka Toronto)
This leaves the Lions with nothing.
So if he does return I am hoping it is this season so the Lions can get something in return for him.
hwgill
Legend

OTOH, other teams may decide to wait for CP to become available, and we still get nothing, but have to deal with potential disruption in the lockerroom.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker