2020-2021 NHL Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

2020-2021 NHL Season

Such as it is, the Canucks got off on the right foot with a 5-3 win over EDM. Going into this season, I asked my best friend to finish this sentence: "the new season will be a..." Both of us said in unison "A JOKE". He was born in Vancouver the day after the first game of the Canucks inaugural 1970 season, and is about as hard core a fan as they come--spends hours studying draft prospects and really cares about the club's (mis)management. The only thing he does like about it is that a Canadian team has the best chance of winning in 28 years, but that's the problem, this will be an asterisk Cup victory like the 2 lockouts of 1995 and 2013.

I'm not old enough to remember the Original Six era of the NHL, but this has to be like four simultaneous versions of that mayhem--they will play within their own leagues until there is only four bruised survivors left to play for the Cup. Whether these grandiose plans come to fruition is of course up to the Virus, since the league decided to abandon the proven success of last summer's bubbles (unworkable over a 6 month grind). They are already making plans to have the season standings prorated by winning percentage, since they are trying to get it done before NBC's commitment to the Summer Olympics kicks in--but there is talk in Japan that they should postpone them again anyway.

BC 1988
Legend

Re: 2020-2021 NHL Season

In keeping with the spirit of how poorly thought out most of the US side of the NHL season has been, we have the nonsense of Lake Tahoe today. Hey it gets sunny there and the ice melts. They are going to try to play the remaining 2 periods tonight at 9pm Pacific, and have moved Sunday's BOS-PHI to 4:30 from 2pm (Good luck with that with more sun in the forecast.)
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-outdoors-g ... -321615104

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:28 pm In keeping with the spirit of how poorly thought out most of the US side of the NHL season has been, we have the nonsense of Lake Tahoe today. Hey it gets sunny there and the ice melts. They are going to try to play the remaining 2 periods tonight at 9pm Pacific, and have moved Sunday's BOS-PHI to 4:30 from 2pm (Good luck with that with more sun in the forecast.)
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-outdoors-g ... -321615104
Philly - Bruins game went well, except for the score

Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, watching the Canucks who can't seem to score, defend or make saves when it really counts is making for a long season. And frankly, it isn't very interesting to see the same teams over and over and over and over and over........

Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

I'm still watching games (on streaming) from the other three divisions. No way do I want to make do with just this artificial North division (which will probably make a quick playoff exit once it's time go up against the other teams).

As for the Canucks --let this cry echo throughout the land (as it has been on twitter for all the wrong reasons) :rotf:

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Losing Tiffoli I think was a big subtraction for this team. He is one of those players who doesn't necessarily seem to be that dangerous, kind of a sleeper but he seems to be able to find the net with a surprising regularity. Right now he is at a point a game pace and on a team like the Canucks that is thin on scoring, he is badly missed. I am doubtful the Canucks make the playoffs this year and their defense seems to have regressed. Holtby hasn't been grand in net either but he has been adequate. With the porous nature of this team, I doubt any goaltender would be able to turn this team around on his own. As of yesterday, the Canucks have played more games than any other team in the league and find themselves 4 points out a spot with the Canadians having a whopping 5 games in hand. The Flames who are only 2 points up have 3 games in hand and they are on the outside looking in as well.

Oh well, I guess in a topsy, turvey pandemic world, at least you can almost always count on the Canucks to be mediocre.

Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Watching ANA-ARI tonight: ex-Canuck (seems so long ago now) goalie Ryan Miller has a 3-0 lead for the Ducks going into the 3rd period, only to lose 4-3 in a SO. Sounds familiar...

https://thehockeywriters.com/calgary-fl ... k-monahan/
Another ex-Canuck goalie Jacob Markstrom is listed as day-to-day with an upper-body injury.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

BC 1988
Legend

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/in ... -montreal/
Great article about Toffoli and his wife's move to COVID lockdown Montreal. I'm sure they would have been a lot happier making a home in West Coast Hollywood North.

THANK YOU JIM!!!