2019 NBA Finals - Raptors vs. Warriors

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which team do you want to win the 2019 NBA Championship?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Toronto Raptors
67%
Golden State Warriors
33%

Total votes: 3
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:12 pm
Why did the Raptors go for 3 when all they need is a point for force overtime ?
As I recall the with the ball moving around as it was trying to get a shot by the time it got to Lowery in the corner all he had on the clock was to shoot for 3.
Or at least try to rush for the basket and try to get a foul if the 2-point attempt didn't work out.

There was no time to drive the net prior to the 3 pt try that the defender managed to get a touch on.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Raptors have done it! Way to go! :canada:

KINGS IN THE NORTH!
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We the North.

Kawhi, Zen Warrior

Kyle

Masai

Nick

Pascal

Fred

Awesome

Congratulations

God Bless
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, WCJ/Robbie - great result and great team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I was thinking about the final shot in Game 5. The double team on Kawhi was very fast and very good. Fred was quickly checked. Kyle in the corner was challenged, successfully by the excellent defender, Draymond Green. The commentators thought he had time to fake Green up, pull it down and shoot freely. GS played it very well.

But Danny Green was wide open. Unfortunatley he has been shooting terribly (one game with 3s not withstanding). And Iguadala was in position to challenge that pass.

Why not go inside to Gasol, checked by Green, who also has his eye on Lowry in the corner? Post up to Gasol with inside position.

Not sure they if they would go to Danny Green, but if not, he should not be out there.

It is over and done, and in Game 6, the Raptors win the title. :thup: But strategy and tactics can still be discussed. Certainly not complaining, especially, after the Raptors win Game 6 ... just looking at that play in Game 5.

And I would not title that clip "Kawhi did not make the right play." They did not seem to have a good play dialed up for that situation. It looked like Kawhi was on his own to make something happen.

We the North. :thup:

Just imo ...

2019-06-14_0534.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Needless to say, Kawhi is an amazing human being. Asked about free agency, he answers:

"Celebrate a little bit. I don't know right now. Take it day by day. I'm not thinking about it right now. I'm a Raptor for right now. We'll see what happens."

Kyle says: "He will make a decision that is best for him and his family, and I will support him in that, and be happy for him. Of course, I want him as my teammate."

Kawhi is just very quiet and humble. He is entitled to be exactly as he wants to be.

Kyle is infectious with his enthusiasm and joy.

What a great interview.

2019-06-14_0617.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Only in basketball could .9 seconds take forever. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 am
We the North. :thup:
Just playing :devil: advocate. The term may be a misnomer as it implies that Toronto is the most northernmost city among the NBA teams, but that's actually not the case.

Geographically speaking both the Minnesota Timberwolves in Minneapolis with latitude 44°59′N as well as the Portland Trail Blazers with latitude 45°31′12″N are more geographically north than the city of Toronto at latitude 43°44′30″N. And when both Seattle and Vancouver had NBA franchises, both cities were geographically located further north. At 49°15′N, the Vancouver Grizzlies were officially the most northernmost NBA team. But while I may have heard the city of Vancouver identified as the most west, I've never heard the team advertised as the most northernmost city.

On a side note, among the NFL teams while the Detroit Lions and Buffalo Bills are the two teams closest the the Canadian border, the Seattle Seahawks are the most northernmost team. But I've never heard the team advertised as such. Maybe one reason is because the term "North" immediately implies "Cold" and relatively speaking in the wintertime, Seattle is certainly not the coldest city compared to the midwest cities or even the northeast cities.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

haha ... I thought "We the North" was a strange at first much like Drake's reference to Toronto as the "6" when clearly Vancouver with 604 vs 647 and 416 for Toronto would be more like the 6 . I had to look that up to figure where the 6 reference came from. But as I'm a recent bandwagon jumper on, it seems to grow on you and work.

I think it conveys what Toronto wanted to convey.

WCJ... I didn't think Lowery had the time to make a move and get a foul but I hadn't really looked at it for time. I give him credit for being in the moment and believing he could score!

Lowery sure set a tone last night early firing 3 pointers successfully and while Kawhi was the MVP, truly as Alex McKechie said - this win was different than the rings he got with the LA Lakers where they had a core group of stars.

This Raptors team is how most teams win who you'd think shouldn't win. Everyone makes a contribution and they play together when it counts.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess the Raptors won't be receiving an invitation to the White House, which is a good thing. After all, what Raptor would enjoy a meal of Big Macs and fries ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Guess the Raptors won't be receiving an invitation to the White House, which is a good thing. After all, what Raptor would enjoy a meal of Big Macs and fries ?
Let's see if Trump will invite them anyways.

While most members of the Raptors roster are Americans, there are some international players:

OG Anunoby from England.
Chris Boucher from Canada/Saint Lucian.
Marc Gasol from Spain.
Serge Ibaka from Congo Republic.
Jeremy Lin is ethnically Taiwanese.
Pascal Siakam from Cameroon.

As non-Americans, they may not be too critical about Trump and instead, may consider it would be an honour to meet up with any VIP, including the President of the USA.

I guess you remember the 1993 McDonald's commercial in partnership with Jurassic Park film when it came out:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Raptors win made headlines in news in Taiwan as well when Jeremy Lin made history as being the first Taiwanese-American, as well as the first Asian-American, to be on an NBA championship-winning team.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3724161

That said, will we start seeing a lot of Asian Americans join the NBA in the near future? I do not think so. And as I started before, affirmative action doesn't apply to Asian Americans as I've never seen colleges support and encourage Asians to join sports teams.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Shaquille is funny at the end here in reference to Drake:

It's been stated by the coach and some players - no White House for sure.

Nick Nurse says they'll go to Ottawa.

Danny Green says it's a "hard no."

https://www.sacurrent.com/ArtSlut/archi ... ampionship

Article says it's being worked on but I am guessing it's next season as the PM is travelling and the players leaving for home might decide that.

"Toronto Raptors coach Nick Nurse on potential White House visit: 'Let's go see Trudeau'"

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/toronto- ... ouse-visit
Robbie
Hall of Famer

An opportunity to see Raptor Danny Green in Greater Vancouver today at the Foot Locker Metrotown store in Burnaby for another fan event between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. PT.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5201584
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just after one season for the Toronto Raptors, the 2019 NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard will be bolting to the Los Angeles Clippers.

I wonder if in honour of the first Raptors championship, then aside from the NBA championship banner the Raptors should also eventually retire Kawhi Leonard's #2.
祝你龍年行大運。