2019-20 NFL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Kansas knocked off Joe Kapp and the Vikings. Unforegiveable. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
South Pender
Legend

A Packers-Chiefs Super Bowl would have been a fitting coda to the 100th NFL season, since those two teams played each other in Super Bowl 1 in 1967. But it wasn't to be.

If the 49ers take Super Bowl LIV (54), that would be their 6th SB victory, tying them with the Steelers and Patriots for the most SB wins. The Patriots have the most appearances with 11. In the preceding 53 SBs, the NFC holds a narrow lead of 27 wins to 26 for the AFC.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Whenever I discover that young Canadian fellows are on the roster of an NFL team, especially in the playoffs, I take note. Two Canadians remain; both with the Chiefs and both on the O-line. Ryan Hunter from Ontario is a back-up who has so far remained on the sidelines, however (#1-ranked in CFL Draft 2014) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif who Kansas City selected in the 6th round in that same year's NFL draft, is a starter and helps protect stellar young QB Mahomes. Interesting tidbit, he's an M.D. (from McGill, capped off his studies just last year.)

Perhaps the mere fact that a couple Canucks are on the roster wouldn't be enough to get me cheering for their team, but factor in that K.C. hasn't won a Super Bowl in half a century, and meanwhile the 49ers franchise has won a nice little handful of them since then, I won't be surprised if I find myself hoping the Chiefs get another championship. But a highly entertaining game, without serious injury, is really all I hope for.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

...and here's an interesting 6 ft 7 inch Canadian receiver prospect out of Vancouver College/SFU getting attention from NFL scouts.
https://3downnation.com/2020/01/24/the- ... -receiver/
South Pender
Legend

Super Bowl LIV Prediction

I'm usually a little reluctant to get into the prediction game, but I've been thinking this week about the upcoming Super Bowl and have been looking at the various predictions out there. The current odds stand at Chiefs by 1.5—much closer than we’ve seen in past SBs.. Accompanying this is the win probability of 54.75% for the Chiefs and 47.78% for the 49ers. (Don’t ask me why these don’t total 100%!) Most individual predictions from football pundits seem to agree.

So the question comes down to whether the Chiefs with super QB Patrick Mahomes and his lightning-fast and excellent receiving corps of Tyreek Hill (said to be the fastest man on the field on Sunday), Mecole Hardman, and Sammy Watkins can beat the 49ers’ secondary and score a lot of points.

On the other hand, we have the really excellent 49ers’ defense, one that has developed this year into one of the strongest defensive units in the NFL, with a truly frightening front four of Arik Armstead, Nick Bosa, DeForest Buckner, and Dee Ford.

So does the great Chiefs’ offense beat the equally-great 49ers’ defense? The conventional wisdom is that great offense sells tickets, whereas great defense wins championships. So, I’m going with a 49ers win in a close game.

What do you think?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

A lot of good points made in your prediction South Pender. As are you, I also am reluctant to make predictions -- so I won't.

But I will say this much; I find it difficult to bet against K.C. coach Andy Reid and his years of experience versus S.F.'s young coach Kyle Shanahan. And I'll take Patrick Mahomes over Jimmy Garoppolo at QB most any day.

So I'll be expecting the Chiefs will have a slight edge (but only a very slight edge overall) for those reasons, but of course San Fransisco has much to offer to skew any outcome I might be tempted to envision. I agree with most everyone that it should be a great contest!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I have relatives living in San Francisco but Kansas City have two Canadians on their roster. Guess I will cheer on the Chiefs.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Super Bowl LIV game day now. Kansas City Chiefs have a tendency to come back from deficits so far, whereas the San Francisco 49ers have definitely blown huge leads before in the regular season. Let's see what happens today.

I'm sure it's a pleasant change not see Brady and the Patriots this time round.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

7-3 Kansas City after one quarter.
After a slow start with a 3 and out, KC offence drive for a touchdown.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Interception by Chiefs defence leads to a field goal. 10-3 Chiefs.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Quick response by the 49ers with several long runs followed by a TD pass for a 10-10 tie.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

10-10 tie at halftime. Winner will be decided in the second half, and possibly overtime. I guess for the most part, close games are always more exciting though if you are supporting one team, it's much harder for the heart.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

49ers take advantage with an interception of their own for a 20-10 after 3 quarters. Let's see if the Chiefs can fight back like they have so far in the playoffs.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Chiefs score a TD to make it a one score game.

20-17 49ers leading with 6 minutes left.

Game is going down to the wire.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Chiefs defence force a three and out and a punt.
Do or die by the Chiefs offence now.
祝你龍年行大運。