2019-20 NFL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

We can begin this thread with the breathtaking deal that Russell Wilson has just made with the Seahawks--$35M/year for four years--the highest NFL salary to date. Astounding. Based on the theory that getting and keeping a true franchise QB is worth just about any price. The Mike Reilly deal with the Lions is a very much smaller example of this thinking: $700K a year--1/50 of Wilson's deal!

The 2018 CFL salary cap was $5.2M, whereas the 2018 NFL salary cap was $177.2M, or about 34 times the CFL cap. Both will be raised somewhat in 2019. Wilson's salary will likely be about 18%, give or take, of the 2019 Seahawks' cap, whereas Reilly's $700K will be closer to 13-14% or the Lions' cap. The question in both cases (but more so with the Seahawks) will be whether there is enough left over after these massive salaries to field a competitive team around the QB.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

South Pender wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am
We can begin this thread with the breathtaking deal that Russell Wilson has just made with the Seahawks--$35M/year for four years--the highest NFL salary to date. Astounding. Based on the theory that getting and keeping a true franchise QB is worth just about any price. The Mike Reilly deal with the Lions is a very much smaller example of this thinking: $700K a year--1/50 of Wilson's deal!

The 2018 CFL salary cap was $5.2M, whereas the 2018 NFL salary cap was $177.2M, or about 34 times the CFL cap. Both will be raised somewhat in 2019. Wilson's salary will likely be about 18%, give or take, of the 2019 Seahawks' cap, whereas Reilly's $700K will be closer to 13-14% or the Lions' cap. The question in both cases (but more so with the Seahawks) will be whether there is enough left over after these massive salaries to field a competitive team around the QB.
Good for Russell Wilson (I suppose), but exactly for the reasons you lay out, one would think he'd consider long and hard the probable ramifications of this, i.e. the potential difficulty in the Seahawks affording to, as you say, "field a competitive team around him". Perhaps they can/will, but it seems reasonably iffy.

In the Lion's case/Reilly's situation it's a lot more understandable to me, from the QB's perspective anyhow, given Reilly wants to make a good living by CFL standards. But in Wilson's case these figures are obviously way beyond anything that's necessary for an exceedingly robust financially rewarding life. It's beyond the pale, IMO.

Given that, and the reality of the NFL salary cap, it just makes me wonder a little about this guy in this regard. Perhaps his ego and great self-confidence (and, granted, his considerable talents) have him thinking he and the team can see a successful season riding on his shoulders. Just thinking about that makes me feel exhausted for him! He could be running for his life. But like I said, he surely must have thought all this through, he's no idiot. But he could end up a very wealthy very frustrated football player as the seasons come and go. I do wish him and the Seahawks success. He's fun to watch.
South Pender
Legend

I don't get the sense that Russell Wilson has a huge ego. Lots of confidence for sure, but he seems like a pretty well-grounded guy. This kind of escalation in QB salaries has seemed to be the norm over the last few years--at least among the top-tier guys. Once Team A's QB gets $XXM, the next guy up for re-negotiation, on Team B, is expected to get a little more. We've seen this steady escalation with Drew Brees in NO, Derek Carr in Oakland, Matthew Stafford in Detroit, Jimmy Garoppolo in SF, Matt Ryan in Atlanta, Kirk Cousins in Minnesota, Aaron Rodgers in GB, and now Russell Wilson in Seattle. Only Tom Brady has bucked this trend and will be paid less than all of the guys I've mentioned in 2019.

I don't know how Brady's salary is structured in New England, but he does seem to have been willing to take less than he's undoubtedly worth to help the team build a strong roster around him. This is admirable. Some think that the fact his wife, supermodel Gisele Bundchen, has been making tens of millions per year herself for many years now factors into Brady's decision in this regard. I read recently that Brady's net worth is estimated at $180M, so perhaps he feels that he doesn't need to push the NE salary cap with a huge raise. In any case, Brady has made things much easier for the Patriots to field a strong team year after year, and the results speak for themselves.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I suspect you're right about Russell Wilson not having an inflated ego -- I hadn't ever really thought that -- however it's just something I speculated on a little in light of the team situation and his new contract. (i.e. how his personal multi-millions effects supporting a top-notch roster.) But, IMO, one can get a misguided sense of self-confidence also, one that's a bit unrealistic. But I'll let him fight his own battle on that count! I sure do wish him well. I'd enjoy seeing the team have good success and be entertaining to watch in all facets (which seems perhaps a farfetched notion at this point in time.) About Brady; I didn't know about his salary as compared to the raft of other QBs you listed. That's interesting. Although, once you're up there making that kind of money, what's a few million less here and there? heh heh.
South Pender
Legend

For those who follow the NFL, the 2019 draft begins today with Round 1 being televised, starting at 5:00 p.m. local time on the NFL Network, ABC, TSN3 and TSN4.

Seattle Seahawks

For Seahawks fans, it will be interesting to see whether they actually use their Round 1 picks--21st and 29th (via the trade involving Frank Clark)--to select or, instead, choose to move down in the draft to add more later selections. This dropping out of Round 1 is a signature move of GM John Schneider, and so the 'Hawks might take only one player or none in Round 1.

The conventional wisdom surrounding the Seahawks seems to be that their greatest need is an edge rusher, and this might be particularly true now that they have unloaded Clark. So they may use one of their first-round picks on this position, possibly selecting Clelin Ferrell from Clemson or Montez Sweat from Mississippi State, as it's unlikely either of these guys will be still around after Round 1. Getting a really competent pass rusher on a rookie salary will save the Seahawks close to $16M in cap space, and so the trade of Clark may turn out to have been a very shrewd deal for the 'Hawks.

My own assessment of the Seahawks' needs puts free safety at or near the top. The loss of Earl Thomas has been painfully apparent; neither Tedric Thompson nor Delano Hill have looked close in talent to Thomas. I'm hoping they can find a standout at that position in either Round 1 or 2.

Another position worth watching is WR. There is some thinking that the Seahawks may try to get Marquise Brown from Oklahoma. Brown is definitely undersized by NFL WR standards, at 5-9, 166 lbs., but is super fast (registering a 4.24 40 at the combine, although his average was 4.34), with good hands, and can be relied on to strike absolute terror into opposing corners and free safeties. Pairing him up with Tyler Lockett (another sub-4.40 guy), would give the ‘Hawks a dangerous deep threat, and Russell Wilson throws one of the best deep balls of all NFL QBs.

Should be fun viewing. Rounds 2 and 3 go tomorrow night, starting at 4:00 p.m. our time, and Rounds 4-7 will be on Saturday, starting at 9:00 a.m.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Ray Lewis is and was a thug. He payed off the mothers of two men who were killed by his friends on Super Bowl 2000. The Boston scribe who's name escapes me hates him. He will always be associated withe death of two young men. Lest we forget. B
Wear orange or wear nothing
South Pender
Legend

That's true about Ray Lewis--and something I think most of us already knew. He was, and may still be, a thug. The NFL's letting him continue with the Ravens was one of many shameful acts by the league (in my opinion, he should have been banned permanently from the league), and similar thuggish behavior by NFL players has seldom, if ever, received the discipline that the league should have administered.

The NFL (along with the Kansas City Chiefs) appears to be at another choice point involving horrible/criminal behavior--this time by Tyreek Hill (seen by many as currently the fastest and most dangerous receiver in the league) who is alleged to have beaten up his 3-year-old son and given him a broken arm. Will the league and team let him off with a slap on the wrist (a 4-6 -game suspension and loss of corresponding salary) if this allegation is proven to be true, or will they finally do the right thing? In my opinion, if the allegation is true, the minimum punishment should be a one-year suspension, and a more appropriate one would be permanent banishment from the league. When Adrian Peterson was found guilty of beating up his 4-year-old son (excessive corporal punishment), the NFL suspended him for the remainder of the 2014 season (most of the season), and he lost the several millions in salary he would have received.

Although I'd like to think so, I'm not sure that the CFL is much better in this regard, although I could be wrong about this. In both cases, the leagues' need to appear free of thuggery and the teams' need to keep players that help them win seem to result in ridiculously inadequate punishment in these instances.
South Pender
Legend

Seattle Seahawks' 2019 Draft Class

Most pundits seem to think that the Seahawks made out pretty well in this year's draft. They were sitting with only 4 picks before the draft began, but, by shrewd wheeling and dealing (mainly trading back), GM John Schneider ended up selecting 11 players by the time it was all over. This has been Schneider's philosophy over the years--drafting as many as possible and hoping that playing the percentages will yield a few that will pan out in the end. Of course, this philosophy pretty much precludes getting the college crème de la crème at the various positions, but it has worked pretty well for the 'Hawks over the years.

It's worth remembering that many of the Seahawks' most outstanding players over the past few years were drafted in later rounds, starting with Russell Wilson (now the most highly-paid player in the NFL) who didn't go until the 3rd round. Top DBs Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor were 5th-round picks, Doug Baldwin--the 'Hawks' best receiver the last several years--went undrafted, and K. J. Wright, a pro bowl LB, went in the 4th round. Bobby Wagner, who many consider the premier middle linebacker in the NFL, went in the 2nd round.

This year, the Seahawks had three outstanding areas of need. These are as follows:

1. Edge rusher. With the departure of Frank Clark, this need was really acute. With this in mind, the 'Hawks drafted L. J. Collier out of TCU in the 1st round (pick 29). Collier is not really a prototypical edge rusher; he's more of a traditional DE who can fill in well in the middle too. Some have compared him to the departed Michael Bennett. After this, they drafted only one DL player, Demarcus Christmas, a DT out of Florida State, in Round 6 (209 overall). This suggests that the Seahawks are not finished with strengthening their pass rush, and I think we can expect a free agent signing fairly soon. By dumping Clark and his big contract, they have freed up a fair amount of cash, and we can expect this to be spent on a proven pass rusher--possibly DE Ziggy Ansah (Detroit Lions) or OLB Nick Perry (Packers), both currently available.

2. Safety. There was a glaring need here with the departure of former 1st-round pick FS Earl Thomas, who signed with the Ravens. So they drafted S Marquise Blaire out of Utah in the 2nd round (47 overall) and Ugochukwu Amadi S from Oregon in Round 4 (132 overall). My feeling is that the 'Hawks are still thin in the secondary, with two relatively young, and as-of-now unproven, CBs (Shaquill Griffin and Tre Flowers), along with inexperience at the safety position (particularly FS) with Tedric Thompson and Delano Hill. The thinking after the draft seems to be that Blaire should be tried at SS first, which would allow Bradley McDougald (who can play both safety positions) to go to FS. Apparently Blaire is something of a heat-seeking missile and is particularly effective in the box.

3. Wide Receiver. This was seen as a need even before learning of Doug Baldwin's likely retirement (three off-season surgeries this year, 30 years old). They got extremely lucky in snagging WR D. K. Metcalf from Ole Miss in the 2nd round (64 overall). Metcalf had been seen by many NFL draft experts as the best WR in this year's draft, but he slipped down the board a little, and the 'Hawks were able to get him late in the 2nd round. Metcalf is an impressive physical specimen. He's 6-3, 228 lbs. and ran a 4.33 40--great size and blazing speed. So great measurables, but some question about his route-running diversity. Metcalf has an interesting lineage, being the son of former NFL offensive lineman Terrence Metcalf, and having strong familial connections in former Browns RB Eric Metcalf and former NFL and CFL RB Terry Metcalf, both D.K.'s cousins.

After Metcalf, the 'Hawks chose WR Gary Jennnings out of West Virginia in Round 4 (120 overall) and WR John Ursua, from Hawaii in Round 7 (236 overall). Jennings is another fairly intriguing prospect. He's 6-1, 216 lbs. and ran a 4.42 40. So the Seahawks have a couple of big, fast WRs now to build on. With speedster Tyler Lockett already in the WR room, the 'Hawks should be able to mount an impressive deep threat, particularly with Russell Wilson, who's seen as one of the best (the best by some) long-ball passers in the NFL, throwing to them.

After those selections, the Seahawks picked up two LBs, Cody Barton out of Utah in Round 3 (88 overall) and Ben Burr-Kirven from Washington in Round 5 (142 overall), then G Phil Haynes from Wake Forest (Round 4, 124 overall), and RB Travis Homer from Miami in Round 6 (204 overall).

Some of the selections--particularly the defensive guys--were to beef up their special teams, but that's where many offensive and defensive starters begin their careers.

The selection of two LBs surprised some folks, given the 'Hawks' great strength in that area with Bobby Wagner and K. J. Wright (and also, possibly, Mychal Kendricks if he isn't sent to prison for insider trading). But Wagner and Wright are getting on in age, and the Seahawks obviously felt they had to add depth.

So in the end, the Seahawks selected one player in the 1st-round, two in the 2nd, one in the 3rd, three in the 4th, one in the 5th, two in the 6th, and one in the 7th round. I think, all things considered, Schneider did pretty well.

With the draft now over, the two most-obvious areas of need for the 'Hawks continue, in my opinion, to be edge rusher and safety. It will be necessary for Schneider to reach out now--via trade or free agency--for an established edge rusher and, I would hope, additional safety help. I think we'll see this play out (particularly rush end) in the next several weeks.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Two long-time Seahawk veterans who were an integral part of their 2013 championship team are now officially released: Safety Kam Chancellor and Wide Receiver Doug Baldwin.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:33 pm
Two long-time Seahawk veterans who were an integral part of their 2013 championship team are now officially released: Safety Kam Chancellor and Wide Receiver Doug Baldwin.
Right. No surprise about Chancellor; this was expected. Suffering from serious neck damage, he was unable to play at all in 2018, and the medical prognosis if he returned to play was very poor--with the possibility of paralysis. So the Seahawks unloaded his salary and gained some cap space.

With Baldwin, though, the hope, even a month ago, was that he would recover completely from his three off-season surgeries and join the team by the start of the season. However, in recent days, optimism faded, and it became increasingly clear that he wouldn't make it back. Again, a salary dump and more cap space to sign some more free agents.

The loss of both is substantial. They were pro bowl players and key to the 'Hawks' success in the past run of six years. I'm hoping that the Seahawks can find a veteran free agent receiver to replace Baldwin, as they're a little thin with respect to established vets there. The drafting of D.K. Metcalf was probably done with the knowledge that Baldwin would likely fail to make it back, but Metcalf is a rookie, and, although he looks fabulous on paper, the 'Hawks need a little more experience in the receivers room.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Slightly off-topic, but I came across a picture of the 2014 Seattle Seahawks NFC championship ring.
With all the diamonds, it's very generous for just a runner-up ring.

But I wonder if any of the 2014 Seahawks players trashed it since it was no consolation, or donated it to someone who could use the monetary value. I wonder if any such rings have appeared in a pawnbroker shop or have been on eBay.

I have indeed seen the 2005 Seahawks NFC championship ring being auctioned online.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like sexual discrimination and sexism in the NFL are slowly getting abolished one by one as now, the Seahawks will now allow men to join their dance team.

https://komonews.com/sports/seahawks/se ... d-for-2019

The Sea Gals, the Seahawks' dance team, are changing as we know them for 2019.

They won't be called The Sea Gals, for one. They'll go by The Seahawks Dancers. And there will be men sprinkled on the team for the first time ever, not just women.

It's all part of a rebranding effort, as the Seahawks "continually look to evolve (their) gameday entertainment," according to the team's official website.

Hello Avery and congratulations on being one of the first 8 men to join the squad which was previously restricted for men.
https://www.seahawks.com/dancers/
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like age discrimination may still be a huge factor as the Philadelphia Eagles decided to stick with the younger Carson Wentz giving him a four-year contract extension and allowing Super Bowl hero Nick Foles four years his senior sign a four-year contract worth $88 million with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I wonder from the Eagles fan perspective, who would they have wanted to keep. Sentimentally it may have been Foles but financially and long-term investment it would have been Wentz.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I assume that Foles will be competing for starter for Jags and that Wentz doesn't have to be looking over his shoulder all season. Seems like a win for everybody.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

First game of 2019-20 NFL season tonight--Packers vs. Bears. A perfectly fitting opener between two of the original NFL teams back 100 years ago.

The game was a defensive struggle, with both offenses looking inept for the most part. This was the result, I think, of not playing many starters in the preseason. It looks as if Green Bay may have a defense this year--something they've been lacking in the Dom Capers as DC era. New DC Mike Pettine seems to have the horses to complement the offense. The question for the Bears this season will be whether Mitch Trubisky can elevate his game to give the offense a chance to compete. The Bears defense is very solid, as expected.

I was glad to see the Packers win. I think they can never be counted out with Aaron Rodgers at the controls--my candidate for best quarterback in the NFL.