World Juniors

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada leading Denmark 3-0 after one period of play. Morgan Frost have 2 goals and an assist so far.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now 8-0 after 2 periods.
D
Team Captain

This is a beat down.
Quinn Hughes and Madden looked pretty good in the US game
I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada wins by two converted touchdowns.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada leading the Swiss 1-0 after the first period. Very entertaining game, fast paced.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada goes 2-0 in the tournament with a hard fought 3-2 win over the Swiss. The Swiss gave Canada all they could handle tonight.
D
Team Captain

Refs got a little to involved at the end of that game but a well deserved win for Canada 🇨🇦
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

They looked awful on the Powerplay. If they had been even reasonably effective in that dept., the game wouldn't have been within reach. And the reffing was pretty damn awful in the 3rd period.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada and Russia tied at 1 after two periods. Canada got off to a quick start scoring just 2 minutes into the game but the Russians tied the game on a power play. Great game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada drop a 2-1 decision to Russia. Canada will now face the loser of USA vs. Finland game next Wednesday while Russia take on Slovenia.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Saw Russia beat Switzerland last night live and it seemed a bit like Canada might have watched the Swiss get up on Russia quickly (only to lose 7 to 4.) and came out thinking the Russians might come out and play similarly to last night where they didn't give it a full shot for 60 minutes like this evening.

Comtois - the Canada Captain needs to be spoken to by his HC (that's kind of Hunter's style) for his silliness prompting this to be said by Kostin:
Kim Kostin on Comtois during intermission interview on Russian TV: ''In his previous life he worked at circus. Didn't you know that? Perhaps he watched the World Cup of soccer, Neymar is probably his best friend.''
Jeff O'Neil TSN analyst and himself from the 1995 Team Canada also ripped Comtois for going down so easily.
Russia's Kostin blasts Canada's Comtois during intermission

Steven PsihogiosYahoo Canada Sports
This was the response on Twitter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/russias-kostin ... 57005.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Watched all the games in the Spengler Cup again this year but given the FINAL today was starting at 3 am our time, I recorded it and viewed the first two periods this morning and the 3rd just before The Russia-Canada game.

Good game that went to OT and shootouts to be won by former NHLer's team Sammi Kapanen Kupiou KalPa. However, it shockingly cut off at the start of the 8 round shootout. So I had to go to TSN to see it and of course - no surprise.

I like the Spengler Cup as it's a unique tournament and other than how Canada played today the games and teams were top tier this year. The Russian team floated as it looked like they were more concerned not getting tired out.

The Referees were mic'd up and it was interesting how effective (and polite) they were. As Dustin Nielsen and Doug Honneger of TSN said - they were great to listen to including when they reviewed goals.

If you have never watched the Spengler, it's a fun tourney where the coverage is different as only two TSN announcers are over there and the features include Canadians on opposing teams. Lots of youth blended in this year in the Fins and Davos.

2012 had the NHL players and they loved the tourney as their families get invited and they get treated royally by Hockey Canada.

Sidney Crosby did a drop by this summer and trained with Davos players in Davos. He's a fan of the Spengler but didn't play in the lockout as he had the neck injury (?) issues. They did a short video feature on him.
Crosby admits he is a big fan of the Spengler Cup. Whenever possible, he follows the games of this traditional tournament live on TV. He regrets missing the opportunity to play for Team Canada at the Spengler Cup during the NHL lockout season of 2012.
https://www.spenglercup.ch/en/news/sidn ... uest-davos

Sean Whyte Eskimo tweeted this:
Sean Whyte

Verified account

@SeanWhyte6
31 Dec 2018
More
Do i watch the Canucks or @nielsonTSN1260........gotta go with Nielson! #GoCanadaGo #SpenglerCup @spenglercupEN

3 replies 0 retweets 10 likes
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
D
Team Captain

Good Game, Either team could have won

Canada was like Amish furniture... solid but no finish
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

D wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:23 pm
Good Game, Either team could have won

Canada was like Amish furniture... solid but no finish

Which game?

Actually you could have said that same thing about both Team Canada's today - Spengler and Juniors!

As far as I'm concerned Canada - given they were guaranteed a spot in the Quarter Finals - might well benefit from this Russian wake up call tonight. Better to be solid and lose when it doesn't matter as much and learn the lessons than to have rolled over Russia and come out flat in the knock out rounds.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada meets Finland in Wednesday's quarter finals.