2018 FIFA World Cup / 2019 FIFA Women's WC

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which country do you want to win the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup?

USA
50%
Netherlands
50%

Total votes: 2
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Belgium captures third place with a 2-0 win over England. Their best performance so far after their fourth place finish in 1986.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Those British fans must be pissed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Subacic

Strinic

Pivaric

Modric

Rakitic

Kovacic

Brozovic

Rebic

Mandzukic

Perisic

Kalinic

Kramaric

That is a lot of Tiches, Niches, Riches and Viches.

Modric is the best Iche. I am rooting for Croatia.

For phonetics, I like Rakitic best. Great name. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm
Subacic

Strinic

Pivaric

Modric

Rakitic

Kovacic

Brozovic

Rebic

Mandzukic

Perisic

Kalinic

Kramaric

I for the longest time (my hearing is no longer what it was) thought one of their players (Strinic) was in fact Spinic (i.e. Spinache!) and always whenever the play-by-play guy called his name the face of Popeye the Sailor appeared in a word bubble over the pitch in mind's eye). We got really quite silly about all the "itches" one game and came up with additional players that might join the team, such as Jockitch. (Yes, I know, very juvenile!) That said, I love that team and will be cheering little Croatia on, big time!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

At halftime, France leading Croatia 2-1 courtesy of an own goal and a penalty kick after a review.
Croatia is known for fighting back after a deficit. It will be an interesting second half.

At least this final will not be a 0-0 tie after 90 minutes like the last two finals and in 1994.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good second effort after a rebound to give France a 3-1 lead. Just over 30 minutes left. Any life for Croatia?
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A long range goal gives France a 4-1 lead. That should be the final nail in the coffin.
I guess Vancouver's Francophone population are celebrating now.
Vancouver also has a sizable Croatian community who are now :pray:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The :pray: by Croatia has been heard as they got one back courtesy of the French goalkeeper's colossal mistake.
4-2 France with just over 20 minutes left.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's all over now. France wins 4-2 over Croatia.
With 6 goals, it has tied with the second-highest scoring game in a FIFA World Cup final. After the various low scoring finals, it's time for a higher scoring game.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

What I like about this World Cup is that I'd say FIFA has come along ways compared to the 2010 World Cup for both the players and the audience in that:

1. In the 2010 World Cup there was a huge buzzing sound that made it very difficult to listen even for the television audience.

2. More importantly, video review has been implemented. The Crotian hand ball that resulted in second penalty kick goal for France wouldn't have occurred had the referee made a video review. Hopefully with video review there won't be a repetition of Frank Lampard's obvious goal in the 2010 World Cup.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The attached picture shows an extreme rarity in sports team celebrations. We all know that the 3rd place team will celebrate their win with their bronze medals - most recently with Team Belgium as shown above, and of course the 1st place team will do so as well by huddling up for pictures. But the 2nd place team? Never as they feel way too dejected. :bawl: :roll:

I suppose there's always a first time courtesy of Team Croatia as they also celebrated their 2nd place finish. Will this create a precedence of 2nd place finishers content with their silver medals? Unlikely.

As an aside, such huddling for celebrations and pictures are common in soccer and ice hockey, but not in other team sports like football, baseball, or basketball. I wonder why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝你龍年行大運。
Danaher
prospect

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm
Subacic

Strinic

Pivaric

Modric

Rakitic

Kovacic

Brozovic

Rebic

Mandzukic

Perisic

Kalinic

Kramaric

They do like their itches in Croatia, don't they? It was an increadible team and they played so well. Shame they didn't manage to win the whole thing.
Typhoon_SSN
prospect

The "-ic" names in the Balkans denote the origin of the first person that bore this name, usually the name of a place (village, river, mountain) or a profession.

It's like Anglo-Saxon names like Parker, Baker...

Fortunately, in my Slavic country (Russia), we've got more variations in our name endings, it allows to compensate for the extreme conservatism in terms of first names (we all know twelve Ivans, eight Olgas, nine Tanyas and six Nikolais).

But to come back to the main topic, that was a World Cup that made me like "European" football/soccer again, the last cups had been boring while this one was full of unexpected things.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The final four for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup has been determined:

England vs. USA
Netherlands vs. Sweden

Any favourites or predictions?

At least one country will be finalist for the first time as neither Netherlands nor Sweden has made it to the final, and neither has England. Previous winners like Japan, Norway, and Germany have been eliminated along with host France.

Sweden has been the huge surprise and in their wins against Canada and Germany, it has been against the flow. They don't get much possession, but with a single possession can end up with a goal. However, they did place third in 2011 and second in the 2016 Olympics. So what's even more surprising may be Netherlands as they've never medaled in the World Cup or Olympics.

One thing I like so far is that since the round of 16, there's only been one game that resulted in a penalty kick shootout. But one thing I didn't like is the inconsistent officiating including video replay. In Netherlands vs. Japan the referee awarded the Dutch a penalty kick after a handball in the penalty area late in regulation. But an obviously handball by USA in the penalty area vs. France was not was not awarded with a penalty kick.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

all my favorite teams are out. Three of the remaining teams are teams I didn't want to win. That leaves me with Sweden to cheer for.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back