2018 FIFA World Cup / 2019 FIFA Women's WC

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which country do you want to win the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup?

USA
50%
Netherlands
50%

Total votes: 2
Robbie
Hall of Famer

First of all, Canada, USA, and Mexico will be co-hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup. So that means that as a co-host, Canada will finally qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986 (assuming they don't qualify in 2022 in Qatar). And USA just missed qualifying after a massive choke on their last day of qualifying and will have to re-group for 2022 but will also get an automatic berth in 2026.

Any predictions for the winner of the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

One shocking issue is that usually power house Italy didn't qualify this year. And usually if there's a country that Vancouver would root for, it would be Italy given the relatively large Italian-Canadian population and their many Italian businesses on Commercial St. I wonder which team Vancouver will root for now.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Spain fires their head coach on the eve of their first game. Bad timing.
Dusty
Champion

I would like for Brazil or Argentina to win it all.... and Messi to win the golden boot or whatever they call the best player in the tourney....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Germany but that's more of a hope than an expectation.

I normally like how the German national teams play.

Yes, finally Canada returns to the tourney given it's coming to North America - but I didn't confirm that makes the US and Canada locks for spots - but Mexico typically gets in on their own play.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's too bad that Vancouver will not be one of the host cities as the games will be played in Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton - even though BC Place was considered the venue for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup final that I attended.

----------------------------

Host Russia has struck first blood with a 5-0 win over Saudi Arabia.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'd say scoring an own goal is worst thing a person can do to disgrace his own country. That's what happened to Andres Escobar in the 1994 World Cup when he scored an own goal against host USA. A few days later after returning to Colombia, he was shot and killed in the streets of Medellín.

Despite have more chances, Morocco suffered a 1-0 loss to Iran on an own goal by Aziz Bouhaddouz in stoppage time. Hopefully he will get plenty of protection upon his return to Morocco, especially if Morocco is eliminated in the first round.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cristiano Ronaldo scored all of Portugal's goals in a 3-3 tie with Spain. His free kick goal was a thing of beauty
Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:26 pm
Cristiano Ronaldo scored all of Portugal's goals in a 3-3 tie with Spain. His free kick goal was a thing of beauty
That free kick goal by Ronaldo was simply outstanding. It brought me off my seat! I'm not a big fan of Ronaldo, but my goodness, that goal, especially given the time of the game, was so clutch.

My guy Messi did not have as good a touch this morning... that game looked like there were 5 Argentinians playing against 10 Icelanders.... I've never seen such triple coverage in a soccer game...
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Wow, incredible. Defending champions Germany trail 1-0 to Sweden and facing elimination at halftime. Germany scores one to tie in the early second half and another at the end of stoppage time to win 2-1 when they are short-handed.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Wow, incredible. Defending champions Germany trail 1-0 to Sweden and facing elimination at halftime. Germany scores one to tie in the early second half and another at the end of stoppage time to win 2-1 when they are short-handed.
bahh humbug
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

8 of the 32 teams have now been eliminated as they cannot advance to the next round:

Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Morocco
Peru
Costa Rica
Tunisia
Panama
Poland
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sure was hoping Costa Rica might do better
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Iran has been added to the list:

Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Morocco
Peru
Costa Rica
Tunisia
Panama
Poland
Iran
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm
sure was hoping Costa Rica might do better
Good news for the Bells err Whitecaps
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Defending runner-up Argentina got a huge scare but managed to advance at the expense of Nigeria and also Iceland with some help from Croatia. Peru in a meaningless game ensured Australia wouldn't advance. A dozen countries now eliminated:

Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Morocco
Peru
Costa Rica
Tunisia
Panama
Poland
Iran
Nigeria
Iceland
Australia

Very interesting matches tomorrow in Group F as none of the four countries have been assured of an advancement. Similar matches in Group E as one of three countries must go home.
祝你龍年行大運。