2018-19 NFL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am
Paul Lapo Tweeted
I think offensive and defensive pass interference is going to be part of the conversation after these games!
Looks as though this change (making PI reviewable) is going to be considered:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... eviewable/

Makes sense.

Heard 1040 with a sports analyst who never played football - I'm guessing that by not trying to be sexist as it was a top woman reporter who knows the sport say she felt there was more of a consensus for this rule change than any change to the OT rule.

Then heard Rintoul and Walker with Steve Beuerlein - former QB and now commentator - and these good interviewers asked him about OT and Beuerlein just went over the usual US drivel about games too long and how KC should have just stopped them and of course pointed out how it should not come to one play.

I thought 650 guys let him off hook as what he was saying was complete BS and idiotic. They lamely mentioned OT here in the CFL but didn't say to him (as they too sensed he's just not open to listening) that in the CFL if you do get a TD that you must go for a 2 pointer.

KC Chiefs lost only because their star QB didn't get a chance to out and drive the field 70 yards as the Patriots did to tie the game. Beuerlein was on about the game never ending like the recent college game lol.

It was like listening to an American talking about their 2nd Amendment rights or how Donald Trump is the great leader sent by God.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the NFL seriously think that the games are too long, they should just forego the overtime and give each team a point for a tie.
South Pender
Legend

Re the advantage to the NFL team winning the coin toss in OT (as it currently is played), I ran across this brief piece that contained some interesting statistics:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... s-tweaked/

Evidently, as things now stand, 52.7% of the games are won by the team winning the OT coin toss. It's unclear from the article just how many OT games were examined to arrive at that figure, or over how many seasons. And it must include regular-season games, some of which end up in ties (because the game is ended at the end of the one-and-only OT period). So it would be interesting to know what percentage of OT games are lost by the team winning the OT coin toss. It would certainly be less than 47.3% (100% - 52.7%)

The article also points out that even with the college football OT rules, the team winning the coin toss has an advantage. These rules have each team given an offensive series from the opponent's 25-yard line--like the CFL rules but from the 25, rather than the 35 in the CFL--and continue into more OT periods until one team outscores the other in one OT period. This article notes that, with this system, the team winning the coin toss wins 54.9% of the games. This is because the coin-toss winner elects to begin on defense, with the advantage of knowing what they have to do to win--either simply kick a FG if the first team fails to score or kicks a FG, or score a TD if the first team scores a TD.

So it appears that there is not a lot of difference in winning probabilities between the two systems. However, most (but certainly not all) of the commentary I've been reading since the AFC championship game seems to favor the college football system. Giving both teams' offenses a chance strikes many as fundamentally fairer (and more consistent with the current strong emphasis on offense in both the pro and college games), and the majority of those weighing in suggest that the college format is more exciting.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I didn't think this quite warrants a new thread (or an international border war), but I've rather enjoyed the feedback/outcome re the initial reporter comment, and especially appreciated the contributions (twitter) of the likes of Mike Reilly and Travis Lulay and the stellar stats guy Derek Taylor... so, for better or worse, have simply tacked this link on the tail of this NFL Season Thread. Quite interesting passing stats comparison. I very much enjoy both leagues (or at least the State-side playoffs if not their season), but do prefer the Canadian game without a doubt by a country mile, the passing game included. https://3downnation.com/2019/04/09/nfl- ... ts-boring/
BC 1988
Legend

Thanks for the link--that was lol funny.
I got curious about the history (and timeline of it's adoption) of the forward pass in American football and came up with this fascinating article--also sheds light on who "Pop" Warner was and why he is revered.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... -78015237/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:38 pm
Thanks for the link--that was lol funny.
I got curious about the history (and timeline of it's adoption) of the forward pass in American football and came up with this fascinating article--also sheds light on who "Pop" Warner was and why he is revered.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... -78015237/
Very much enjoyed the read, BC 1988. The Smithsonian site is a treasure trove I know, but somehow I hadn't ever thought to research sports history there. The article you linked to is quite an education. Didn't ever know an incompleted forward pass cost a 15 yard penalty. Mind you, 1906 is slightly before my time! But yikes, that "flying wedge" -- deadly dangerous stuff. Not what I'd ever want to see. Thanks again for sharing this fascinating info re Pop Warner and his team of Native Americans.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Russell Wilson has given the Seattle Seahawks up to April 15, 2019 for a new contract. April 15 is past the halfway point and still no deal. Let's see if Russell Wilson will still be a Seahawk this coming season. :roll: :juggle:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:04 pm
Russell Wilson has given the Seattle Seahawks up to April 15, 2019 for a new contract. April 15 is past the halfway point and still no deal. Let's see if Russell Wilson will still be a Seahawk this coming season. :roll: :juggle:
Robbie, looks as if Russell Wilson has indeed signed with the Seahawks--for a record-setting $35M a year for the next four years. Highest salary ever paid in the NFL. It's certainly true that Wilson has been the heart and soul of the Seahawks' offense and is a true top-5 NFL QB, but these salaries have gone well into the incomprehensible realm. Think of it: $140M (plus his 2019 salary) for playing football. As a society, we have certainly lost any perspective regarding appropriate compensation, and, in my view, it's sad to see.

The thinking in Seattle has been that getting and keeping a true franchise quarterback is worth any amount of money when put beside trying to find one via trade or in the draft. This thinking may, in fact, be correct if a team wants to maintain success--deplorable as it is from a human-values perspective.

The question remaining now is whether this gigantic hit to the Seahawks' salary cap will result in the team's inability to field quality players around Wilson, as seems likely. It's worth remembering that the Seahawks were at their best when Wilson was on his rookie contract (at something like $1M a year or whatever), and there was lots of cash to build a topnotch roster at all the other important positions. Will the 'Hawks be able to field even a decent defense? O-line?

Let's start a new thread now for 2019-2020.