2018-19 NFL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

The score flattered the Hawks but a win is a win. They lost 2 close ones to the Rams and Chargers so you say they have a chance then. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

While it was expected to the Seahawks win over the 49ers, it's not something they would take for granted especially since two elite members previously in the Seahawks defence are now part of the 49ers defence: defence captain Richard Sherman and Super Bowl XLVIII MVP Malcolm Smith. But Russell Wilson was able to penetrate the 49ers defence. And despite having some turnovers, Seahawks defence has also allowed long plays which certainly isn't allowed for a championship caliber team.

-----------------

Despite 13 mostly winning years for the Green Bay Packers and a Super Bowl, a bad loss at home against the bad-record Arizona Cardinals has costed head coach Mike McCarthy his job. :shock:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

Yesterday's Seahawks-49ers game was a win for the 'Hawks, I guess, but their defense seemed very poor against the pass, despite what ended up being a very one-sided score (43-16; evidently the first time ever that an NFL game has ended in that score). The Niners' 3rd-string quarterback, Nick Mullens--an undrafted free agent who was on the 49ers' practice squad until recently--threw for 400 yards against the Seahawks' D. WTF!

I had expected some problems against the run, with Will backers K. J. Wright out and Mychal Kendricks still suspended, but the secondary looked bad, and Mullens had too much time in the pocket. DC Ken Norton Jr. needs to fix the Seahawks' pass defense before it's too late. Getting Wright and/or Kendricks back will help some, but work is needed with the corners and free safety. The extent of the loss of Earl Thomas is pretty clear, and it's extreme; Tedric Thompson has a long way to go to get near Thomas's level at free safety. The 'Hawks' D has been at best average since the loss of Thomas and is not close to past editions. In the upcoming game against the Vikings, one week from tonight, Kirk Cousins will pick the 'Hawks apart unless they get the back end fixed. This upcoming game, by the way, is pretty pivotal to the Seahawks' chances of making the playoffs. If they win it, they could get to 10-6 and would almost-certainly make the playoffs as a wild card (and they might make it at 9-7).

D.J. Fluker's injury (hamstring) looked serious, and losing him for any length of time will present a problem for the offense. He's been instrumental in the resurgence of the Seahawks' running game, and replacing him at RG will be difficult. The Hawks have several options: move J.R. Sweezy back to RG, and put Ethan Pocic back in at LG or just move Pocic into RG. Joey Hunt is another possibility at RG, as is Jordan Simmons, who played there in the second game against the Rams. But none of these options will produce the road-grading effects that they have enjoyed with Fluker.

The Packers' loss to the lowly Cardinals at Lambeau was a complete shock. There has been something wrong in Green Bay for a while, and it seems to go beyond just the injuries (which have been considerable). There have been calls for the firing of Mike McCarthy for several weeks now, and I guess losing to the Cards--at Lambeau no less--was just the last straw. I'm sorry to see the Packers in decline. They're my second-favorite NFL team.

Update Dec. 4. It looks as if the Seahawks will go with undrafted free agent Jordan Simmons at RG against the Vikings. Pete Carroll appears satisfied with Simmons' play there--in the Rams game and the 10 snaps he played against the 49ers after Fluker went out. He's a big dude--6-4, 339, although not as big as Fluker. OC Brian Schottenheimer will need to tweak the offensive calls some to keep the 'Hawks' excellent ground game rolling. Mychal Kendricks has been cleared to play and adding him at Will backer will be an upgrade. K. J. Wright is evidently still a week or two away from returning.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Can anyone tell me why the convert wasn't tried at the end of the Miami game. It wasn't overtime and they could of cleared the field. It could of effected point spread over under etc. Thnx BB
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am
Can anyone tell me why the concert wasn't tried at the end of the Dallas game. It wasn't overtime and they could of cleared the field. It could of effected point spread over under etc. Thnx BB
:question: :question: :question:
Are you referring to the final play of the Philadelphia vs. Dallas game last night? Yes, it was indeed overtime and the Cowboys scored a TD on their first possession and ended the game, per NFL overtime rules. And the rules also state that if a touchdown is scored to end the game in OT, then the point after will not be taken as it won't affect the outcome of the game. Any point spread is way to insignificant compared to instigating possible emotions to the losing team if they run one last play in the form of the conversion as it could cause an all-out brawl.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the convert wasn't tried at the end of the Miami game. It wasn't overtime and they could of cleared the field. It could of effected point spread over under etc. Thnx BB
I see you've edited the post to indicate that you are referring to the New England vs. Miami game. I guess it's because after the play that resulted in the Dolphins touchdown, then they didn't want to take any more chances in blowing the lead as by that point, anything is possible. If the Dolphins tried the one point conversion, it could have been blocked and taken back to the end zone. Or if they attempted a 2-point conversion, it could have been fumbled or intercepted and taken all the way back. In both cases, it would have given 2 points for the Patriots and thus, giving them the win. Such plays have certainly happened before.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:20 am
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the concert wasn't tried at the end of the Dallas game. It wasn't overtime and they could of cleared the field. It could of effected point spread over under etc. Thnx BB
Are you referring to the final play of the Philadelphia vs. Dallas game last night? Yes, it was indeed overtime and the Cowboys scored a TD on their first possession and ended the game, per NFL overtime rules. And the rules also state that if a touchdown is scored to end the game in OT, then the point after will not be taken as it won't affect the outcome of the game. Any point spread is way to insignificant compared to instigating possible emotions to the losing team if they run one last play in the form of the conversion as it could cause an all-out brawl.
That has always blown my mind - NFL OT where both teams don't get to try to score if the first team who wins the coin toss scores. Basically - a coin toss wins the game basically. That's a joke quite frankly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am
Robbie wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
That has always blown my mind - NFL OT where both teams don't get to try to score if the first team who wins the coin toss scores. Basically - a coin toss wins the game basically. That's a joke quite frankly.
Well, to try to make it more fair the OT rules have changed somewhat in that the game continues if the first team to take possession scores a field goal instead as the other team has the chance to match with a field goal of their own or win with a touchdown. However, another OT change was that there is now only 10 minutes. As indicated in both OT games this week, the team with first possession can easily run down the clock and score a field goal with less than 2 minutes left. That gives the other team very little time to get into field goal range and thus, are likely to run risky plays that are more liable for turnovers.
祝你龍年行大運。
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I meant the Miami game. No convert was tried at the end when Miami scored. BB
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
I see you've edited the post to indicate that you are referring to the New England vs. Miami game. I guess it's because after the play that resulted in the Dolphins touchdown, then they didn't want to take any more chances in blowing the lead as by that point, anything is possible. If the Dolphins tried the one point conversion, it could have been blocked and taken back to the end zone. Or if they attempted a 2-point conversion, it could have been fumbled or intercepted and taken all the way back. In both cases, it would have given 2 points for the Patriots and thus, giving them the win. Such plays have certainly happened before.
Well at least a kneel down to make it official. BB
South Pender
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Robbie wrote:

Well, to try to make it more fair the OT rules have changed somewhat in that the game continues if the first team to take possession scores a field goal instead as the other team has the chance to match with a field goal of their own or win with a touchdown. However, another OT change was that there is now only 10 minutes. As indicated in both OT games this week, the team with first possession can easily run down the clock and score a field goal with less than 2 minutes left. That gives the other team very little time to get into field goal range and thus, are likely to run risky plays that are more liable for turnovers.
That's right, Robbie. The game ends after the first drive by the team winning the OT coin toss only if that team scores a touchdown on that first drive. Otherwise the game continues as per usual. The percentage of games won by the team winning the OT coin toss is lower than own might expect. Although I can't find up-to-date figures, my impression is that, ignoring ties, it is something on the order of 55% against 45% losses. So not the huge advantage that we might expect. At one point in the 2018 seasons--after 8 OT games--the team winning the coin toss had won 3, lost 3, and had 2 end in a tie. So basically 50-50 at that point in the season. I don't have more recent figures on this for 2018.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 am
Robbie wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Well at least a kneel down to make it official. BB
New NFL rule for 2018 states that for walk-off touchdowns, PATs and two-point conversions will be eliminated.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... ouchdowns/

--------------
And with regards to that last play, it's good that there was no controversy at all in that the two laterals were clearly legal.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 am
The percentage of games won by the team winning the OT coin toss is lower than own might expect. Although I can't find up-to-date figures, my impression is that, ignoring ties, it is something on the order of 55% against 45% losses. So not the huge advantage that we might expect. At one point in the 2018 seasons--after 8 OT games--the team winning the coin toss had won 3, lost 3, and had 2 end in a tie. So basically 50-50 at that point in the season. I don't have more recent figures on this for 2018.
Prior to 2010 the coin toss winner won approximately 60% of overtime games under the then rule.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Very low-scoring game at MNF right now. Almost identical to the wild card playoff game between the two teams.

Main difference so far is that the Seahawks committed two costly offensive mistakes that have put valuable points off of the board.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, Seahawks win with a great defensive plays and to improve their chances of making a wild-card spot. But this time, offensively, Russell Wilson appeared to be disorganized at certain plays.
祝你龍年行大運。