2018 Winter Olympic Games Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

My real objection to the 4 on 4 is that on Olympic sized ice, it is just too much space to cover. All in all, the hockey this Olympics did not inspire me one bit. I am not a big fan but I usually watch a few games every Olympics and frankly I had hard time getting excited about anything. Good on the Germans for give the OAR everything they can handle but at the end of it all, it just seems like another two weeks. A lot of events, not a lot of buy in for me. I will say this though, if the OAC re-instates the Russians after the only 2 positive drug tests at these games were from Russian athletes, then they should have their heads examined. If the Russians can't even complete clean in a year when they can't even wear their own colours because of doping infractions, then clearly the message hasn't been received.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1-1 in the men's ice hockey gold medal game after 2 periods. Kudos to Germany for fighting back and tying the game allowing OAR to score with 0.5 seconds left in the first period. 20 minutes to go in regulation and it looks like anybody's game. If OAR manages to take the game, I'd say the Germans will be one of the few exceptions who would be grateful to settle for silver.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Germans giving the Russians all they handle. Going to be an exciting finish.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Incredible. Both teams tie the game and now heading 3-3 into OT.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Very anti-climatic. :sigh:
OAR wins in the end in OT, but due to a very controversial penalty by Germany that allowed the power play gold winning goal.

No German players are bawling or taking off their silver medals. OAR cannot fly their Russian flag or play their anthem. Canadian players are not joining them on the makeshift podium on the ice for the medal ceremony??? Yes, they received it already but....celebrate it one more time.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Special teams the difference
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Our best haul in Olympic medals.

We did win overall in 2010 in Vancouver by having the most gold medals. 4 golds for hockey and curling, and we could have won again.

Good result. I barely watched.

Screenshot_20180225-105959.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

I watched all the Hockey (both Men's and Women's) games in which the USA and Canada were involved. I would say the Canada Men were lucky to get the Bronze, given the low quality of the talent pool available (Desjardins made some questionable line combinations that didn't help either). The OAR team had a more difficult time reaching Gold than they should have--they outclassed everyone with all the veteran ex-NHL and KHL talent. They really manhandled the USA. The Germans had the advantage of being a National side that has played together for years. Even though they upset Canada (after doing the same to Sweden), I still would have loved to see them take Gold. The superior OAR side woke up at the last minute, and there was no way they were going to lose in OT.

Let's see how Bettman (and the 31 greedy owners he represents) manipulates negotiations for 2022 China (and the NHLPA. He tried to use the Olympics as a bargaining chip in the CBA and will again).
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It isn't just about greedy owners (who are in fact greedy) but imagine if you will, shutting down your entire business nationwide for over 2 weeks during a period where your only major sports competition is the NBA, having your best names in the league go off to play in a tournament where they could get injured, not see any real appreciable benefit for league growth (according to the NHL) and then to top it off, you as a league can't even promote your game by using any video of the Olympics by the players that your league provides.

It sounds pretty slanted even to me who generally favours the common man. Apparently if reports are accurate, the OAC made China participation contingent on Korea participation and lets face it, hockey isn't suddenly going to become a big thing in China either. So, as much as I don't really care for the League, it's managers and owners, I'm with them. What possible incentive do they have for making a deal with an equally zealous, do I say greedy OAC. They are opposite sides of the same coin and if I was an owner, I would probably ask why I might have to give up untold dollars, during a prime part of the season when the only thing I might get in return is some sort of heightened sense of patriotism.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.