2017 NHL Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's official - the Sedins have announced that they will retire after this season. They won't be around anymore come next season.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/daniel ... -297574270
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Total class act on and off the ice.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 am
It's official - the Sedins have announced that they will retire after this season. They won't be around anymore come next season.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/daniel ... -297574270
Must be something about gingers. Sedins and Lulay. 3 of the classiest athletes the city of Vancouver has ever had the pleasure of calling their own.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great guys.

IMO they were not well suited to the crash and bang of the NHL game. Yes, they scored well. Yes they took the Canucks to the finals one time. But, for all their talent, it seems to me they could get roughed up and put off their games. That is what Boston did to us in the finals. And that is what Chicago did to us a number of times.

That is not really a criticism of them, it is more a criticism of the brutality of the NHL game. Slash and crash. And when their talent faded with age, the results for the Canucks faded badly.

They never really built themselves up physically. They always maintained their weight just under 190 pounds.

You could not ask for guys with higher character. But one kind of hoped for more of the determination exhibited by Peter Forsberg or Niklas Lidstrom.

Probably Hall of Fame credentials, but I expect there will be some naysayers.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I always believed from the beginning that the canucks would need a better first line with the sedins being a great second line in order to win the cup. During 2011, I could not figure out how they won so much or how they got so close. To me it was an anomaly for the situation.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Both Sedins were given an opportunity in tonight's shootout. Both missed. Henrik has yet to score in the shootout in his career.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sedins' last game at home. What a way to finish their career in front of their fans: Daniel with 2 goals including the winner in overtime and Henrik with 2 assists.
BC 1988
Legend

I saw the graphic just before the OT power play that Daniel is way ahead in total OT power play goals, then he scores another one, assisted by Henrik. He now has 11 on his career.

Impressive way to cap their careers at home. (with the road game at EDM on Saturday being the finale).

It was funny seeing all the injured Canucks at ice level in their suits to do the send-off.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I found myself thinking that I wish Lui P had gotten such a send off.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Very long and sad farewells for the Sedins.

You can see the Swedish flag being displayed. That said, I'm sure all Canuck fans were glad that in their hockey careers, they at least managed to captured both an Olympic Gold Medal and a World Hockey Championship Gold Medal, even if it came at the expense of Team Canada.

Good post-game interviews of them.

And a long press conference discussing their decision to retire.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Las Vegas Golden Knights continue to surprise. They lead the LA Kings 3-0 with a 4-3 victory tonight.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Las Vegas swept the Kings with tonight's 1-0 victory. The Golden Knights surrendered an unbelievably only 3 goals in the series. They now face the winner between Anaheim and San Jose.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg Jets ready to play tonight. 4-0 after the 1st period. Now 5-0 in the 3rd
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I remember on April 20, 1999 after the Columbine School shooting, the Avalanche postponed a game 1 home playoff game scheduled for that evening by four days and agreed to swap home games 1 and 2 for 3 and 4 with their opponents, the Sharks.

But after today's deadly van attack on Yonge St in Toronto the resulted in ten people killed and 15 injured, the Maple Leafs went on with their playoff game tonight. And it's likely the Blue Jays will continue with a home series starting tomorrow, and the Raptors will also continue with their next home playoff game on Wednesday.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As cold as it sounds, when tragic events like this happen, life goes on. Every circumstance is different but generally I fall in the camp of carry on as normal. A game like the one the Leaf's had lightened a lot of heavy hearts that night. It tells everybody that despite the world going to hell in a hand basket, that those events won't stop us from being who we are. Unless there is some kind of perceived threat to congregating groups, don't let the horrendous actions of an individual stop us from being us.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.