2017-18 NFL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which team do you think will win Super Bowl LII?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:11 pm

New England Patriots
33%
Philadelphia Eagles
67%

Total votes: 3
BC 1988
Legend

Wow, MIN 29 NO 24 and JAX 45 PIT 42 were like watching a couple of really good CFL games.

After that, I'd say NE should have a clear path to another SB win. Even after that win, I still don't think JAX has a chance next week of upsetting them. MIN is looking good over PHI, and would make a more interesting SB matchup vs NE.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Funny thing today on CNN. Woman being interviewed about politics and just before it's over the host cuts to the last play of the Vikings win and asks for comments. She said her husband must have been responsible for tipping them off that she convinced him the game was over and shut the TV off only to find out they won on that last incredible play.

I think she deserved to shamed for that ...lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Three good games in the Divisional Playoffs this past weekend. I was glad to see the Eagles win in a thriller, and then the two on Sunday were really good games. Happy to see the Vikings win, but you have to feel sorry for poor Marcus Williams, the Saints' safety who whiffed on the pass to Stefon Diggs that won the game on the last play. In the Patriots-Titans game--the one blowout of the four divisional games--the Titans obviously were never in it and have now fired their coach, Mike Mularkey. They have a way to go to get to the top tier. No. 2 draft pick QB, Marcus Mariota regressed some in 2017 and will need help from a new HC or OC.

I think we're seeing the emergence of a new powerhouse in the AFC in the Jacksonville Jaguars. (Boy, who would have thought this back in the pre-season!) They're probably a year or two away from going all the way, but most of the pieces are in place. Strong, overpowering lines, both O and D, a good ground game with two big, fast, and powerful backs, Leonard Fournette (6-0, 228, 4.5 40 speed) and T. J. Yeldon (6-1, 223, 4.5 40 speed). The notable flaw in the Jags offense is QB Blake Bortles, who has been pretty awful for most of his career, although he wasn't too bad in the divisional game against the Steelers. If the Jags can snag a true NFL-caliber signal-caller--either through free agency, trade, or the draft--they will be very hard to beat.

The 2017 Jags remind me of the 2012 Seahawks, just as things were coming together under Pete Carroll. Young, strong, fast. Back then the 'Hawks had a decent O-line with Max Unger at center, Russell Okung at LT, and Breno Giacomini at RT, and the defense was developing into one of the best in the NFL. The Jags' defense is at that stage now; the addition of Calais Campbell really took them to the next level. Although the Patriots are favored by 9 over the Jags in the AFC Conference game, I wouldn't be surprised to see a close one there.

In the NFC, the Vikings are favored by 3.5 over the Eagles. I think that one could go either way and should be close. Both teams have solid defenses. The one shortcoming facing the Eagles will continue to be having to rely on Nick Foles at QB instead of the guy who got them to the top of the heap, Carson Wentz. However, I thought that Foles played well against the Falcons. He doesn't provide the scrambling/rushing ability of Wentz, but he's a pretty decent passer.

Should be a couple of great games on Sunday! :good:
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Is Wentz ready in two weekd
Wear orange or wear nothing
BC 1988
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm
Torn ACL, he probably will miss most of next season as well.

The Brady throwing hand injury has just made JAX vs NE a more interesting game. The Cone of Silence has come down on the Patriots camp, and there's speculation about how much it will hinder him.
https://nesn.com/2018/01/heres-hand-inj ... able-info/
South Pender
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm
Torn ACL, he probably will miss most of next season as well.
Yes, could be. He had surgery on Dec. 18, and the usual recovery time back to full activity is 9-12 months. The Eagles will be careful with Wentz and will probably ease him back into limited action mid-season.

The Eagles have really lost a lot with Foles stepping in for Wentz. Foles lacks Wentz's ability to run outside the pocket and seems to lack Wentz's awareness of the field despite his much greater time in the NFL. The Eagles will have to step up their run game (which is pretty good with Jay Ajayi, LeGarrette Blount, and Corey Clement) and rely on their topnotch defense to make it to the SB and win it.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Super Bowl LII will be a re-match of Super Bowl XXXIX in which the Patriots narrowly won the game.

Who do you think will win?

The Eagles fought back from an initial 0-7 deficit to score 38 unanswered points to win 38-7, while the Patriots fought back for a narrow 24-20 win. But I know for sure that how well a team does on their conference championship win is never an indication on how they will do in the Super Bowl.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 pm
Super Bowl LII will be a re-match of Super Bowl XXXIX in which the Patriots narrowly won the game.

Who do you think will win?

The Eagles fought back from an initial 0-7 deficit to score 38 unanswered points to win 38-7, while the Patriots fought back for a narrow 24-20 win. But I know for sure that how well a team does on their conference championship win is never an indication on how they will do in the Super Bowl.
eagles and foles played the almost purrfect game that they would need to do to beat the patriots. not likely to do it twice in a row.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Too bad the Minnesota Vikings were not able to be the first Super Bowl finalist to also be the host as well. Both the Eagles and the Vikings had identical 13-3 records and they didn't play each other in the regular season. The tiebreaker went to the Eagles based on the better record on the five games that the two teams played against common opponents. Not sure if that's the fairest way for a tiebreaker.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

I was pleased to see the Eagles win, but surprised at how easy the win came. I had thought that this game would be the close one, and the AFC game would be the one-sided one--just the opposite of what happened. I was really pleased to see Nick Foles play so well, particularly since no one had expected this (and I was among those who felt Foles would not be up to the challenge). The Eagles would not have been any better yesterday with Carson Wentz under center. So it's a feel-good story and says a lot about Doug Pederson and his coaching staff and their ability to get the team playing so well. Pederson is an easy guy to like, and I hope the Eagles can do it one more time and win their first Super Bowl.

I was hoping the Jaguars would win the AFC crown--not so much because I love the team, but more in order to have someone other than the Patriots going to another Super Bowl. For me it's not that I dislike the Patriots (actually there's a lot about the team to like), but more that I think it's better for the game and the league to have the conference winners change from year to year, and not have the dominance we've seen in the AFC for so long.

The Jaguars represent an interesting development in the NFL. Their biggest off-season question will be what to do about Blake Bortles. He didn't do too badly yesterday, but he is not up to what a team needs at QB in order to compete successfully in the toughest situations, like bringing a team back to win in the final 2 minutes of a game. The Jags seem to have just about all of the other boxes checked with a strong young team, and acquiring a true championship-level QB would put them over the top.

The opening line on the Super Bowl has the Patriots favored by 5.5 points. I think, with the Eagles' solid defense and good offense, it could be a great game.
BC 1988
Legend

I was a bit disappointed MIN didn't make it to the SB, as it would have been an historic first time with a home team hosting. The NFL apparently was concerned if they had as they want it to be always a neutral site game.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/poss ... s-for-nfl/
JAX was killed by penalties and making the mistake that a 10 point lead would be enough--that kind of deficit seems to be the Patriots sweet spot as they've easily come back from that many times now.

Brady really wasn't hindered by his "injury" it was probably more the inconvenience of protecting the stitches.

As to the PHI-NE matchup, you gotta favor NE, but at least Foles offense put on a show yesterday, and hopefully it won't be a boring blowout. Maybe we'll see a repeat of Super Bowl XXXIX, a close game won by NE 24-21.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Patriots had no issue celebrating their title win. Seems this thing about not celebrating a div title is not very consistent these days.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The core of the Seahawks defence has essentially been demolished with the loss of several pivotal players from the legion of boom.

Richard Sherman has just been released, Michael Bennett has been traded away for an un-established receiver, and Jeremy Lane has been released as well.
There have also be some doubts about Earl Thomas, Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor. :bang:

Offensively, solid tight end Jimmy Graham won't return either.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Richard Sherman has just been released
It looks like Richard Sherman will join the team that he helped defeat in the 2013 NFC Championship with what could be the most memorable play as a Seahawk. He will join the San Francisco 49ers which have been rather terrible since that loss. I wonder if having Sherman on the team will change their fortunes.
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Double post.
Last edited by South Pender on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.