Hockey Legend Gordie Howe dies at 88

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One of the all time greats. Up there with Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky.

God bless. Rest in Peace.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Somewhere, there is an All Star team that just got their dream pick.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

99 and 9
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

4 and 9

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A great ambassador of hockey. RIP Mr. Hockey
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Former Lion Jim "Dirty 30" Young posted yesterday on his facebook page the following story (link here) about the time he met Howe in 1980 during his final NHL season, as a Hartford Whaler.
Through the 1979 Football season the player of the game for the BC Lions received a Cowichan Sweater. I was working for a TV show called Sports Page in early 1980 when Gordie Howe was making his last swing through the league. I spent time with him in Edmonton for his game there and then back in Vancouver for his game with the Canucks. The Cowichan Band who makes the sweaters provided one for Mr. Howe and I had the great honor to present it to him as part of my interview. The sweater was unique and he was very impressed with the gift. He was the player of the game most nights. The TV show turned out to be a half hour special on Gordie Howe and was a lot of fun. He was easy to be with and talk with. To him I was just another reporter yet he treated me as if I were part of his team. Tough to hear of his passing.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:One of the all time greats. Up there with Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky.

God bless. Rest in Peace.
"Up there with Orr and Gretzky" in much the same way that Mount Everest is "up there" with K2 and Annapurna. Gordie stands alone.
Dusty
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Former Lion Jim "Dirty 30" Young posted yesterday on his facebook page the following story (link here) about the time he met Howe in 1980 during his final NHL season, as a Hartford Whaler.
I was at a game between the Canucks and Whalers, maybe at the game that Jim is talking about, sitting behind the Canuck's goal. Harold Snepts collared the puck behind the net and waited while Gordie committed to skating from his left towards Harold, so Harold passed up ice to the right. Seconds after Harold passes off, Gordie skates behind the net past Harold, fakes an elbow to his head and Harold's head smacks backwards against the glass. I swear that Howe did not connect....but there was a collective "oooooh" from the intake of breath from the crowd. Harold skates right after Howe and Gordie is looking over his shoulder, smiling at him..... Harold recognizes that it is Howe, and you can see the fire going out of him.... Snepts gives him a wave and skates towards the bench..... I can picture them laughing about it after the game....for me, a not to be forgotten moment with a not to be forgotten great!