John "thats not football" torts

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

should be run out of town and Canada and never allowed back in.

cfl fans who are also hockey fans should boycott the canucks.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Spud387
Champion

As an American do you expect much of a different response from him?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:As an American do you expect much of a different response from him?
to hold his tongue out of respect at least.

he can "think" what ever he wants.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Spud387 wrote:As an American do you expect much of a different response from him?

What are you guys chatting about? The recent lawsuit regarding concussions? Just curious........
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:

What are you guys chatting about? The recent lawsuit regarding concussions? Just curious........
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I'm guessing that the Canucks' coach must have dissed Canadian football, portraying the CFL as inferior to the NFL, or something like that.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

what did he say ??
Spud387
Champion

Torts just called Grey Cup "not football"!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That's not a typical American comment.

It is typical Tortorella - loud mouth.

It certainly not would have been made during BC Lion season ticket holder Brian Burke's tenure when he and his coach Mark Crawford spoke highly of the Lions and they showed respect for the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This issue appears to be WAY OVERBLOWN. I just spent about an hour or so gathering some facts on this because I wanted to comment. But in the meantime I didn't want to go off half-cocked about it.

The comment in question from the OP came from a John Tortorella press conference this past Monday morning, the day after the Grey Cup. The Blake Price tweet linked by Spud387 was posted at 10:24am that Monday during the 1st hour of Matt Sekeres's mid-morning show on 1040. Everything I have to say in this post comes from my review of the podcast of this 1st hour of Monday's MS broadcast, which is available for listening here:

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/1040_mi ... our_1~.mp3

I should mention I was unsuccessful in numerous attempts at downloading this file from both FF and IE (YMMV), so I ended up having to listen to it through my browser by clicking on the "Play Now" link on the following page underneath where it says: "Sekeres and Price November 25th Hour 1 Posted: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:16:17 -0800"

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEAM1040-Middays

So with this out of the way, let's establish some CONTEXT which has thus far in this thread been lacking from the discussion. Matt Sekeres is talking and awaiting the start of JT's daily press conference, and just as he stops to cut into it live, a reporter whose identity I cannot establish (prob doesn't matter), apparently knowing that John Tortorella is originally from Boston and a New England Patriots fan, asks him what was going through his mind regarding the Pats comeback over the Broncos the previous (Sunday) night. Tortorella is initially uncertain whether his comments are "for the paper, or are we just talking? Or for whatever you guys do, whatever... ?" Anyway he goes on bantering about the Pats/Broncos game with some of the reporters for a while, rehashing what a great game it was and singling out Wes Welker for blame in the Broncos' loss.

Eventually a reporter (perhaps the same as the first one, again doesn't really matter) brings up the Grey Cup, "Did you watch the football game earlier in the day? The one up here? Something called the Grey Cup?" At this point JT utters the contentious remark:

JT: "That's not football." This draws some howls from the assembled media. He continues:

JT: "Yes. Yes. Yeah, the end zones are as big as a regular football..." [it sounds like "field" is going to be his next word here, but he pauses and changes tack at this point] "I don't know all the rules, but I'd just better leave this one alone. (chuckling) I'm sorry, Ben." (Wait a second. Who's Ben? It's not clear at this point but the answer, as I get into below, goes a long way in explaining things.)

Reporter (or perhaps the addressed Ben, doesn't matter much): "There's something called a rouge in Canadian football."

JT, repeating: "I'm sorry, Ben."

Presumably Ben: "I'm outta here."

JT: "Well if I do that and you're outta here, I'll do it more often." (more chuckles and howls from the media)

Reporter: "Did you see Tom Hanks last night?"

JT: "No."

At this point the conversation turns to hockey and the matter of football never really comes up for the rest of 1040's coverage. Eventually they throw back to Matt before the presser even ends. He defers discussion of anything JT has said to discuss some other matters for the rest of the segment (specifically, the dominance and greater competitiveness of Western conference teams in many sports over their Eastern counterparts: CFL, NHL, MLB, NFL).

They cut to commercial and return, with Canucks' 1040 colour man Dave Tomlinson joining MS for the next segment to rehash JT's presser (which is still going on even at this point).

MS: "(JT) was having a little fun there with Ben Brown, the Canucks communications manager who is from the province of Saskatchewan."

DT: "Well, actually, Ben was sitting three rows in front of me out here in the stands so he was alluding to Ben."

MS: "Oh, really? (He) wasn't even there..."

DT: "He wasn't even there."

MS: "...to defend his province and his team?"

DT: "Yeah, (JT) was having some fun."

MS: "Gotcha." At which point MS & DT leave the football matter and proceed to discuss hockey from this point.

-----------------------------

So, basically, all it was, was Tortorella just good-naturedly busting Ben Brown's chops over his attachment to the Saskatchewan Roughriders. This is all very clear once you listen to all of the audio I've outlined above. There was no malice at all intended toward anything CFL-related on JT's part. If there had been, I'm sure MS would have had something to say about it. This is nowhere near Gallagher's "jumping around like they cured cancer" comment several years ago. Blake Price tweeted JT's "Not football" comment pretty much right after he made it and never really provided any of the above context because... well, 140 characters, right? Ain't twitter grand?

Moral: it pays to gather all the facts before you jump to conclusions. But yeah, let's gather our torches and pitchforks and run him out of town anyway, because that'd just be a ***total blast***.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:This issue appears to be WAY OVERBLOWN. I just spent about an hour or so gathering some facts on this because I wanted to comment. But in the meantime I didn't want to go off half-cocked about it.

The comment in question from the OP came from a John Tortorella press conference this past Monday morning, the day after the Grey Cup. The Blake Price tweet linked by Spud387 was posted at 10:24am that Monday during the 1st hour of Matt Sekeres's mid-morning show on 1040. Everything I have to say in this post comes from my review of the podcast of this 1st hour of Monday's MS broadcast, which is available for listening here:

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/1040_mi ... our_1~.mp3

I should mention I was unsuccessful in numerous attempts at downloading this file from both FF and IE (YMMV), so I ended up having to listen to it through my browser by clicking on the "Play Now" link on the following page underneath where it says: "Sekeres and Price November 25th Hour 1 Posted: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:16:17 -0800"

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEAM1040-Middays

So with this out of the way, let's establish some CONTEXT which has thus far in this thread been lacking from the discussion. Matt Sekeres is talking and awaiting the start of JT's daily press conference, and just as he stops to cut into it live, a reporter whose identity I cannot establish (prob doesn't matter), apparently knowing that John Tortorella is originally from Boston and a New England Patriots fan, asks him what was going through his mind regarding the Pats comeback over the Broncos the previous (Sunday) night. Tortorella is initially uncertain whether his comments are "for the paper, or are we just talking? Or for whatever you guys do, whatever... ?" Anyway he goes on bantering about the Pats/Broncos game with some of the reporters for a while, rehashing what a great game it was and singling out Wes Welker for blame in the Broncos' loss.

Eventually a reporter (perhaps the same as the first one, again doesn't really matter) brings up the Grey Cup, "Did you watch the football game earlier in the day? The one up here? Something called the Grey Cup?" At this point JT utters the contentious remark:

JT: "That's not football." This draws some howls from the assembled media. He continues:

JT: "Yes. Yes. Yeah, the end zones are as big as a regular football..." [it sounds like "field" is going to be his next word here, but he pauses and changes tack at this point] "I don't know all the rules, but I'd just better leave this one alone. (chuckling) I'm sorry, Ben." (Wait a second. Who's Ben? It's not clear at this point but the answer, as I get into below, goes a long way in explaining things.)

Reporter (or perhaps the addressed Ben, doesn't matter much): "There's something called a rouge in Canadian football."

JT, repeating: "I'm sorry, Ben."

Presumably Ben: "I'm outta here."

JT: "Well if I do that and you're outta here, I'll do it more often." (more chuckles and howls from the media)

Reporter: "Did you see Tom Hanks last night?"

JT: "No."

At this point the conversation turns to hockey and the matter of football never really comes up for the rest of 1040's coverage. Eventually they throw back to Matt before the presser even ends. He defers discussion of anything JT has said to discuss some other matters for the rest of the segment (specifically, the dominance and greater competitiveness of Western conference teams in many sports over their Eastern counterparts: CFL, NHL, MLB, NFL).

They cut to commercial and return, with Canucks' 1040 colour man Dave Tomlinson joining MS for the next segment to rehash JT's presser (which is still going on even at this point).

MS: "(JT) was having a little fun there with Ben Brown, the Canucks communications manager who is from the province of Saskatchewan."

DT: "Well, actually, Ben was sitting three rows in front of me out here in the stands so he was alluding to Ben."

MS: "Oh, really? (He) wasn't even there..."

DT: "He wasn't even there."

MS: "...to defend his province and his team?"

DT: "Yeah, (JT) was having some fun."

MS: "Gotcha." At which point MS & DT leave the football matter and proceed to discuss hockey from this point.

-----------------------------

So, basically, all it was, was Tortorella just good-naturedly busting Ben Brown's chops over his attachment to the Saskatchewan Roughriders. This is all very clear once you listen to all of the audio I've outlined above. Blake Price tweeted JT's "Not football" comment pretty much right after he made it and never really provided any of the above context because... well, 140 characters, right? Ain't twitter grand?

Moral: it pays to gather all the facts before you jump to conclusions. But yeah, let's gather our torches and pitchforks and run him out of town anyway, because that'd just be a ***total blast***.
your whole defense of JT is a fail. The bottom line is, he has and did express to reporters the same ignorant anti cfl sentiment as most USA and or NFL fans have. He was not just kidding around. It was offensive to cfl and cfl fans and unacceptable to this fan.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KIA, did you listen to the audio? I'm guessing probably not, given how quickly you responded. Six minutes from my post to yours? I question whether you even read my whole post.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:...........well, 140 characters, right? Ain't twitter grand? ........
Yes, it does seem that way at times :dizzy:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:KIA, did you listen to the audio? I'm guessing probably not, given how quickly you responded. Six minutes from my post to yours? I question whether you even read my whole post.
I am fast reader and I understood it all. I just didn't buy it or see it the same as you.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:KIA, did you listen to the audio? I'm guessing probably not, given how quickly you responded. Six minutes from my post to yours? I question whether you even read my whole post.
I am fast reader and I understood it all. I just didn't buy it or see it the same as you.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer