National Spring Football League-will it fly?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Just noticed that Steff Kruck was not back at SFU Football for 2013 and Googled and found he is now GM of the Arizona Racers franchise of the very, very fledgling National Spring Football League.

It isn't easy to do to start a new league as it is subject to the challenge to all new businesses!

http://www.thensfl.com/#!about/c1a
The National Spring Football League is a professional developmental football league playing its inaugural season beginning in the spring of 2014. The NSFL is dedicated to the growth and development of its players, coaches and staff on the field as well as providing a “family friendly” entertaining environment to all its fans in the stands. With 12 inaugural teams spanning coast-to-coast, the NSFL will provide a national footprint.
Arizona Racers info here:

http://www.thensfl.com/#!arizona-racers/c1ytb - see Kruck and his staff here.

https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaRacers?filter=1

Steff Kruck on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steff-kruck/57/533/923

Will it challenge the CFL if there is a link to the NFL as players decide to play closer to home to be under the eye of the NFL? Contracts and money will be an issue putting the CFL still in a good position.

It is trying to be a Spring League and that is a challenge in the USA as other sports come into the picture too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm not overly concerned. The CFL have survived against the USFL and the NAFL and will again against NSFL
cromartie
Hall of Famer

People have spent over $2 billion trying to establish alternative football leagues since 1973. How has that worked out so far?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Based on a QUICK look-over, it doesn't sound like a competitive league. It sounds like it wants to fill a need of developing players for both the CFL and NFL.

I'd certainly check it out.......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:People have spent over $2 billion trying to establish alternative football leagues since 1973. How has that worked out so far?
I guess dreams never die.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Odds against success humoungous.

But ya never know.

Lamar Hunt failed to acquire an NFL franchise and then started the AFL in 1960. Ya never know for sure.

One factor is that there is a huge market and hunger for football.

Best wishes to Steff Kruck. His last training camp here, he had that beaten down look. Got a chance to talk with him a bit prior to TC practice. He was sitting by himself near the field prior to practice. Like so many of these coaches and players, just a great guy. Felt bad for him as he got shuffled off. He had played as a receiver for Bear Bryant at Alabama.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

After looking a little more, it seems like they are thinking small but effective to start. Lets put ourselves out as an option to develop players for the CFL/NFL. Obviously I'm guessing players ala Cam Wake or Travis Lulay would get a chance in this league to showcase what they can do individually while still playing on a team.

The logo looks standard. Its got that MLB or NBA look to it where there is a silouhette of a player in action.....

February through to May is terrible sports wise for me. I do take in NHL playoffs but only if Canucks are involved. The Arena League, okay I guess. It is certainly a family orientated sport, IMO. Fast and uptempo.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how this league pans out......