Canucks trade Schneider

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:sorry, it just means You debated it better than me.

However, if you ever meet the guy, assuming you haven't, and pretend to be American and ask him such questions as how he likes it in Canada, etc, and then casually throw in something about what he thinks of Canadian football, and subsequently get a more positive answer than negative, then I will admit to being wrong and give everything you say from then on the benefit of the doubt.

I cant help what I believe, I just cant defend it very well. At least not this time.

I do however admit that you have succeeding in causing just a tiny bit of doubt to creep in.
Thanks for this reply, KIA. Maybe I'll never change your mind on this, but I'm pleased to see you at least expressed some consideration for my arguments ("caus(ed) just a tiny bit of doubt to creep in"). I'm not sure what part of my argument did this; perhaps it was the fake murder confession set-up video, maybe the "CFL (bulb) sucks" hypothetical, I don’t know (I wish I'd come up with these much earlier in the debate).

It would be interesting as you suggest to have a conversation to his face although that's not likely to happen, unfortunately. The NHL generally doesn't offer the same accessibility to its personalities as the CFL. Even if I could meet him, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable enough to pull it off without coming off too forced/deliberate about it.

Well, I think I'm pretty much done arguing my position (not retracting it, I just really don't have much else to add to what I've already said). I do have some afterthoughts on this debate we've had but I think your thread is the best place for these rather than here so I'll be posting it over there.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.