Canucks trade Schneider

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

... to the Devils for their first round pick in today's draft.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wow....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So I guess Luongo will be staying. It was always going to be tough to move his contract. There were already rumours last night that Schneider was on the trading block. The Canucks were in a weak bargaining position in trying to offload one of their goalies, otherwise I think they could have gotten more than a first round draft pick.

Canucks held on to the pick and just drafted Bo Horvat (C) from the London Knights.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with the commentators that the Canucks could have demanded more. Good deal for the Devils as they get the replacement for Martin Brodeur.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with the commentators that the Canucks could have demanded more. Good deal for the Devils as they get the replacement for Martin Brodeur.
Yep, that could turn out to be a pretty seamless transition for NJD if Schneider follows through on his promise. Funny thing about Brodeur is, he's the cover boy for EA NHL'14.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wish the drafters would just announce their picks instead of prefacing their picks by thanking New Jersey for their hospitality, congratulating the Hawks for winning the Stanley Cup etc. The draft is long enough as it is...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I wish the drafters would just announce their picks instead of prefacing their picks by thanking New Jersey for their hospitality, congratulating the Hawks for winning the Stanley Cup etc. The draft is long enough as it is...
I rarely bother watching the draft. The picks will be still the same when you look at them on wikipedia a few hours later. As for today I happened to have the radio on and 1040 is simulcasting TSN's audio (on and off). It hasn't often been held on a Sunday anyway IIRC.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Horvat sounds like a very good player.

I don't mind keeping Luongo.

And it seems teams like the Bruins and Hawks are able to find goalies good enough to let them win the Cup. There seem to be plenty of top calibre ones out there.

Will Roberto be happy enough to stay here now? He will have to be. Refuse to play = No pay. I can't see Roberto not wanting to play here.

We have had three goalies good enough to get us to a Cup Final, Richard Brodeur, Kirk McLean and Roberto Luongo. Unfortunately they all got outplayed in those Finals it seems to me. Billy Smith, Mike Richter and Tim Thomas were all outstanding in their victories.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Surprised! I heard the rumours but if every rumour was true.....

I'm kinda glad the issues are changing. It won't be an awesome goalie riding the pine. This goalie scenario reminds me on many levels of the DD/CP issues the Lions went through. Both were great QB's but there is only one QB that can play. Wonder how this will go now. Gillis has to have had all the right conversations with BobbyLou. Luongo's a pro and proved that, IMO, with his play as second fiddle. He doesn't want to be the second fiddle. So, you are back in chair one, now Luongo, show us how wrong some us were to ever doubt you.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder what Luongo is thinking ? He's been hearing that Schneider is going to be the #1 goalie and that the Canucks are trying to trade him. Now he's back in the Canucks' plan. Me thinks there's going to be some serious fence mending to be done. Mike Gillis has poorly mismanaged the Luongo/Schneider scenario.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With their 2nd pick, Canucks pick Hunter Shinkaruk
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

he's got the name, I like'em already.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

there goes the last reason to give a crap about the canucks. worse canucks deal since cam neely loss. almost as bad as giving away have of the lions best players for dunnigan.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:there goes the last reason to give a crap about the canucks. worse canucks deal since cam neely loss. almost as bad as giving away have of the lions best players for dunnigan.
Canucks were in a weak bargaining position, simple as that; the whole world knew it. It's like in the CFL when teams try to trade ageing veterans; it seldom happens because everyone knows eventually they'll be released soon enough and become a free agent.

At any rate, trades can't always be evaluated on the day of. The backlash from the Neely trade didn't happen overnight. I don't remember that there was much rejoicing right off the bat when the Canucks got Naslund from the Penguins for Alek Stojanov. And look at Ray Bourque, Boston drafted him in 1979 with a pick the LA Kings handed over in exchange for goalie Ron Grahame almost a year earlier.

This one will also take some time before a "winner" can be determined.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shinkaruk

5'11 175

Another tiny centre.

The Vancouver Smurfs