Jim Brown back with the Cleveland Browns as special advisor

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1357788
Jim Brown back with the Cleveland Browns as ‘special adviser’

The Hall of Fame running back, who was estranged for years from the NFL team where he starred in the 1950s and '60s, was welcomed back to the Browns on Wednesday by owner Jimmy Haslam.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 4:03 PM.

DAVID RICHARD/AP

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam (r.) shakes hands with Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown.

CLEVELAND - As outspoken, unapologetic and intimidating as ever — even at age 77 — Jim Brown has reunited with the Cleveland Browns.

“Here I am,” he said.

The Hall of Fame running back, who was estranged for years from the NFL team where he starred in the 1950s and ‘60s — after his previous role was eliminated by former president Mike Holmgren — was welcomed back to the Browns on Wednesday by owner Jimmy Haslam. Brown will serve as a “special adviser,” focusing on community work, interacting with fans and helping mentor players.

Haslam called Brown’s return a “very special and significant day in Cleveland Browns history.”
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z2VURe59ml
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good news.

Jim Brown is back with the Cleveland Browns.

Here is a debate issue, if someone was interested in a debate. :wink:

IMO Jim Brown is the greatest running back in the history of the NFL.

My personal favorite is Gale Sayers, but his career was cut short by injuries.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jim Brown ...

As Hall of Fame linebacker for the Giants, Sam Huff, said: "Most of the time, we knew where he was going to run, but we still couldn't stop him."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gale Sayers, the Kansas Comet ... This picture is representative of one of his skills: Although he is airborne, his balance was such that he could cut either way on landing. LOL

Even when he was still in college, people were debating who was the better running back, him or Jim Brown.

And some amazing ones came later. Emmitt Smith. Walter Payton. Eric Dickerson. Barry Sanders.

I still have a video I picked up at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio of the Greatest Running Backs Ever. Much of it is on YouTube nowadays.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I too liked Sayers but nothing against Brown either.

How about the legacy of the Juice now not loose?

Those old days of backs like Cookie Gilchrist were a long time ago but hard to compare these players to today but I suspect they'd still be stars.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Jim Brown was a great running back, no question--maybe the best. However, I've never been able to like a a guy who beats up women. Brown's a thug in my opinion. I guess we try to keep an athlete's performance in his sport separate from his personal life, but I've never been able to fully do this.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have heard this media story (or maybe its a joke) about a recent death of a longtime Cleveland Browns fan. He's asked to have 6 Browns players to be his pall-bearers so they can let him down, one last time......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I have heard this media story (or maybe its a joke) about a recent death of a longtime Cleveland Browns fan. He's asked to have 6 Browns players to be his pall-bearers so they can let him down, one last time......
Heard the same. Apparently it's not a joke.