Alouettes' interest in Tebow tepid - Herb Zurkowski

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some will think that he would be a natural in the CFL.

I am not so sure. Can he read the D? Can he make good decisions? Is he an accurate thrower? I have doubts about his abilities in these areas.

He is an athlete. He can run with the ball. And that is not enough to play QB in the CFL.

Christianity? Irrelevant. Tebow genuflect? Irrelevant.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some speculate that his NFL career is done. That there will be no more NFL teams interested in him.

This writer sees it differently ...
Tim Tebow's Career Outlook Following Release from Jets

By
Alex Kay
(Featured Columnist) on April 29, 2013

The New York Jets have cut ties with controversial quarterback Tim Tebow.

Brian Costello of the New York Post first announced this decision via Twitter Monday morning, while Kimberley A. Martin of Newsday confirmed it with a quote from coach Rex Ryan.

Now that he’s hit the open market, Tebow will finally have a chance to audition for a team that may actually desire his services. As expected, there doesn’t seem to be a initial surge of interested parties, but there could soon be a number of intrigued suitors lining up to see what Tebow can bring to the table.

CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reported that the three-year veteran is willing to move from quarterback to another position in order to keep his NFL career going. There have been rumblings of Tebow potentially lining up at H-back, which is a change he is receptive to making.

However, Tebow could remain under center, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter noted the 25-year-old showed up to the team’s training facility this spring having lost 15 pounds. He is apparently looking faster and lighter than before, and he has improved mechanics on his much-maligned throwing motion.

It seems that Tebow's true desire is to remain under center, as Schefter reported Tebow wasn't willing to make the transition to tight end when he was seeking a trade earlier in the offseason.

Schefter also noted that Tebow was garnering significant support from Jets personnel, but the sensible and fair decision was to release the backup QB.
Even before the Jets selected Smith, Tebow's career in New York was likely over.

As soon as Gang Green nabbed West Virginia signal-caller Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, Tebow’s days with the organization were numbered.

Smith’s arrival made for a total of six QBs on the roster—including Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, David Garrard and Matt Simms. It was clear that coach Rex Ryan wasn’t going to keep that many quarterbacks for longer than training camp, Tebow’s release was the most sensible option at this juncture.

With his days as a Jet finally over, the former Florida star can finally concentrate on resurrecting his career and becoming a productive player in the NFL.

Tebow simply didn’t get a fair shake in the Big Apple, appearing in just 12 games, completing 6-of-8 passes for 39 yards and rushing 32 times for 102 yards during that stretch.

What will happen with Tebow?

He will continue his NFL career as a QBHe will play in the NFL at another positionHe'll be in another league shortlyOtherSubmit Votevote to see results

Due to his renewed focus and motivation—plus an improved throwing motion—there should certainly be a roster spot somewhere in the league for the No. 25 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

At the very least, he projects as a versatile backup with quarterback experience who could also provide depth at running back, tight end and fullback. After a few weeks of workouts and interviews, don’t be surprised to hear about Tebow signing a contract with a new NFL organization.
South Pender
Legend

I'd be very surprised to see Tebow in the CFL, at least on his on-field merits. He's a bull of a runner, but didn't appear to me in the games I watched to have particularly nifty escape moves in the pocket. Worst, though, he is an inaccurate passer. Of course, we never know; some CFL team (Hamilton, Toronto) might sign him, if he were interested, purely for the buzz.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

No, we don't want him. Next.
D
Team Captain

Montreal Alouettes GM Jim Popp on Tim Tebow: "We'd definitely welcome him.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I doubt very much that Tebow will wind up in the CFL. He can retire quite comfortably and stay home and spread his religion.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Some will think that he would be a natural in the CFL.

I am not so sure. Can he read the D? Can he make good decisions? Is he an accurate thrower? I have doubts about his abilities in these areas.

He is an athlete. He can run with the ball. And that is not enough to play QB in the CFL.

Christianity? Irrelevant. Tebow genuflect? Irrelevant.
Joe Theismann is not one of those who see Tebow being successful in the CFL. He thinks the game is far too complex here for his skill set.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... w/1783015/

But could he learn if given a chance. Toronto would have been logical before Ricky Ray.

But the Als now say he can compete as a back up. Very interesting.
If Tebow wants to play football in Canada, Montreal Alouettes would accommodate

By Dan Ralph, The Canadian Press April 29, 2013

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Tebo ... z2RuHyH26v
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Mark Sanchez next to pack his bags ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Is Mark Sanchez next to pack his bags ?
I was surprised he (Sanchez) was let go too. It maybe he has struggled due to poor systems but he's been puzzling. Started out with success and gone steadily downhill since. Many suggest Tebow was brought in to 'push' Sanchez and help him along but if anything it seemed to have overwhelmed Sanchez (just guessing, only Sanchez knows obviously).

As for Tebow, I get it. His throwing motion sucks. A lot of his QB skills seem to be lacking. Then again, like Sanchez, he has won a playoff game (okay he was the starter on a team that won), something other starters have not done for their teams. Apparently Tebow looks awful in practice but he has seemed to pull a few rabbits out of hats in his brief NFL go-round. One reporter talked about an 'energy' or increase in tempo that Tebow seemed to bring to his team-mates that Sanchez just isn't getting done. IMO, the Jets looked ridiculous bringing him in a year ago and I totally get why they let him go today. Even IF Sanchez's days as a Jet maybe numbered, I'm sure he'll get another shot somewhere. IMO, this WAS it for Tebow but I guess we'll see.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Mark Sanchez is still on the Jets roster as of this morning. He signed an extension that would make it difficult to release him this offseason.

As for Tebow. His first mistake was going to the Jets instead of Jacksonville, where he would have been a cult hero and, probably, the starting QB. The Jets were, and are, a dysfunctional mess.

The next question is what he does now. Frankly, he's not an NFL level passer, so unless he's willing to spend some time learning a new position, his NFL days are basically over.

As to his CFL prospects, he doesn't really have to come up here, so why should he, unless he wants to play? And even if he does come up here, his only real shot at getting some actual playing time is, arguably, Winnipeg.

So that begs the question, what is the CFL comparable that pops to mind when you see him play? The closest equivalent I can thing of in the 30 years I've been watching the league is Marcus Crandell. Limited passer, solid runner, can make the short stuff and some intermediate passes but not particularly good at all on the deep outs. Of course, Crandell stopped playing a decade or so ago, and it's worth wondering whether or not that type of offense would even work in the CFL today.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If Tebow wants to play quarterback there is a job waiting for him in the Indoor Soccer League. The Omaha Beef of the Nebraska Indoor League has offered him a position with the team. Pays $75.00 per game. The Beefs are currently 5-1, their quarterback has thrown 21 touchdowns with only 2 interceptions and they want Tebow ??? Tebow's passing mechanics may not be a big issue given the small playing surface.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Chris Hart is packing his bags for BC. And Rudy Carpenter is gone before his cup of coffee even had a chance to get cold.

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-si ... -carpenter
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Alou ... story.html
Alouettes' interest in Tebow tepid

By Herb Zurkowsky, Postmedia News April 30, 2013

The New York Jets parted ways with quarterback Tim Tebow on Monday after one tumultuous season with the NFL team.

On a day that should have been spent continuing his preparations for next Monday's Canadian Football League draft, Alouettes general manager Jim Popp was forced to field calls and questions - from New York and Canada - about a player he doesn't have and might never acquire.

Quarterback Tim Tebow.

"I would love to have Tim Tebow on our team. He's a great person. He's a winner," Popp said Monday. "But can he play in the CFL and have success? Would we be able to adapt our system to that guy in the future? I have no idea."

Tebow was released Monday morning by the New York Jets following one season with the NFL team. Tebow was on borrowed time with the Jets throughout this winter, and that timetable expired after New York selected pivot Geno Smith in the second round of the NFL draft last Friday.

While Tebow's on the Als' negotiation list, giving Montreal his exclusive CFL rights, that doesn't mean his arrival's imminent - if at all.

If Tebow isn't claimed off waivers by another NFL team, the Jets owe him $1.5 million, according to the New York Daily News. So Tebow's in no immediate financial predicament.

While Tebow's NFL options appear limited, he would be no closer to playing with Montreal, where Anthony Calvillo's the established veteran starter.

Popp has no plans to reach out to Tebow's agent, Jimmy Sexton, nor does he expect to field any immediate calls from the player or his representative.

"We have quarterbacks under contract," Popp said. "We're going to camp in a month. We've got a starting quarterback. I'm not out there enticing or trying to convince him to come to Montreal because he's (not) going to be a starting quarterback."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Alou ... z2RzxI6KGp