New Orleans Hornets become The Pelicans

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Are they wearing Pelican Briefs? Ha ha ... Figured I'd better make the joke before Rammer does. :wink:

I love the whole business of team names, logos, marketing and the like.

So the Jazz went to Utah from New Orleans. That name just does not fit Mormon country.

Pelicans is OK. At least it has a local connection. Neat movie too. Neat Julia Roberts too. :wink:

The new logo: OK, not special.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1499 ... -team-logo
New Orleans Pelicans Unveil Official Team Logo

By
Alex Kay
(Featured Columnist) on January 24, 2013

It’s official. The New Orleans Hornets will be known as the New Orleans Pelicans at the beginning of the 2013-14 NBA season.

The team made the announcement via NBA.com late on Thursday afternoon.

New owner Tom Benson and the organization held a press conference on Thursday to publicly unveil the new logo and uniforms.

Screenshot2013-01-24at4 Photo Credit: NBA.com

As you can see, the team has ditched its old color scheme in favor of a new one that includes a primary emphasis on blue, a secondary on gold, and red as a tertiary.

While some may not like the idea of a pelican representing the franchise, it has origins as the state bird and in the official Louisiana nickname, the “Pelican State.”

The team put out a fact sheet to explain their choice, which you can view here.

It’s a welcome change to a team that is on the up-and-up—one that finally has a mascot that makes sense for the area and that fans can call their own.

This club is finally on the verge of turning its fortunes around, after a season in the NBA basement following the controversial trade that sent Chris Paul to the Clippers.

The team bottomed out, but it encountered some good luck when the lottery gods awarded New Orleans the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft—which turned out to be stud big man Anthony Davis.

With the star rookie blossoming, plus talented swingman Eric Gordon and a plethora of great role players—such as Ryan Anderson and Robin Lopez—beginning to gel, the future is looking extremely bright down in the Big Easy.
Amongst the worst transferred team nick names: Calgary Flames from Atlanta (Civil War flames burning down the town). LA Lakers (ain't got no lakes there, D'oh) ... from Minneapolis (land of a thousand lakes). Et cetera ...

OK LA Lakers has alliteration, but ... I gotta give it a fail on complete lack of local context.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pics ...

I would say bag the basketball. Just use the Pelican.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pelicans are big ugly birds.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Dumb.

Give the Jazz back to New Orleans.

Give the Hornets back to Charlotte.

Let Utah pick a new name.

Obvious solution is obvious. This is unnecessary.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

A: Rename your team the Pelicans.

Q: Best and quickest way to not sell any merchandise and keep unrestricted free agents from signing with you.

Over/under til the Pelicans' attendance hits four digits and is forced to relocate? Two years?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:A: Rename your team the Pelicans.

Q: Best and quickest way to not sell any merchandise and keep unrestricted free agents from signing with you.

Over/under til the Pelicans' attendance hits four digits and is forced to relocate? Two years?
That has to be the least inspiring name I can think of and it doesn't resonate at all.

Weird.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Hawkballer 14 wrote:A: Rename your team the Pelicans.

That has to be the least inspiring name I can think of and it doesn't resonate at all.

Weird.
how is it any worse that seahawks, or browns
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
274always
All Star

Pelicans can be mean-ass birds.

Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Headline writers in the Crescent City already have the Pelican'ts epithet locked & loaded for their first loss.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:Pelicans can be mean-ass birds.

But they're still ugly IMO :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:

you like your football players pretty??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I am not an NBA fan anymore.

But I do love the culture of team names and logos et cetera.

I don't mind the name Pelicans for New Orleans. Not great but OK.

Now I would not think much of a team in MIami named the Flamingos. LOL Suitable for lingerie football though. And I wouldn't go to see that.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

you like your football players pretty??
Yup
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
KnowItAll wrote: you like your football players pretty??
Yup
all righty then