First-down line could be coming to NFL stadiums

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Only natural that someone would pursue this once it became a broadcast staple. Pat Summerall has been backing this venture and courting the NFL on it for the last decade from the sounds of this article. As someone with a background in laser science I would love to see this get off the ground and eventually into CFL venues. And it's something both the NFL and especially the CFL will inevitably have no choice but to adopt in order to compete with hi def broadcasts.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-01- ... l-stadiums
AP News
First-down line could be coming to NFL stadiums
By By David Ginsburg on January 23, 2013

BALTIMORE (AP) — Fans watching NFL games on television have grown accustomed to the imaginary yellow line that runs across the field in accord with the first-down marker.

That first-down line could one day become part of the in-game experience at all 32 NFL stadiums.

Alan Amron, with financial backing from former NFL player and broadcaster Pat Summerall, has developed the First Down Laser System. Amron said the system projects a first-down line across the field that can be seen in the stadium and on TV.

The league is intrigued, but not completely sold on the idea — not yet anyway.

"The NFL is our prime customer at this point," Amron said, "and if we can make something that they like, maybe the NCAA and Canadian Football League will follow suit."

Amron first met with the NFL in 2003 and again in 2009. There may soon be future meetings.

"They give me different opinions and suggestions along the way," Amron said. "We comply with them and come back. They tell me it took them years and years to implement replay and the overhead cam. The NFL right now has made it very clear to us that they didn't want to eliminate the chains, but augmenting them wouldn't be a bad idea."

League spokesman Greg Aiello said, "We have not been convinced that it would work for us, but we are open to further discussion after the season."

The laser system would be attached to the first-down markers on both sides and project a contrasting light green line across the field. The system would work in accord with the chain gang, but is designed to provide a more accurate focal point in terms of measurements. When a player hits the turf, by theory, it would become immediately apparent whether he made a first down.

"A misplaced ball on a first-down measurement can mean the difference between winning and losing a game," Summerall said.

For fans at home, the first-down line is a visual aid that has become as much a part of the telecast as replay and out-of-town highlights. Amron got the idea for the laser after watching a game at home, then going to the stadium and having to do without the line across the field.

"Right away I realized it would be a great thing to be able to project it onto the field," he said. "I filed patents on it within weeks."

In recent years, the NFL has attempted to lure fans from home by making larger replay screens, displaying in-house photos of what the replay official is watching and showing clips from games around the league. Could a first-down line be the next addition?

"It will help all teams bring more fans to the stadium to see the game in person," Summerall said.
On a related matter, curling in the last few years has already been using technology to automatically detect hog line violations. I wonder if anyone is working on adapting similar technology for football to automatically call first downs and touchdowns? There are two complicated factors, which curling didn't have to face, that pose extra challenges: (a) any part of the ball that breaks the plane validates the play (so a sensor at the centre of the ball by itself won't cut it) and (b) in the case of a first down, said plane is not in a fixed stationary location on the field at all times.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

That's really interesting. I'm wondering whether the line would be visible (to players as well) while a play was in progress or whether it would be projected only after the play ended. Could be an improvement in getting tough calls and on-field decisions right.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm reluctant to have the line in the stadium. I personally would rather see the technology be used to see if the goal line was broken etc.... Or which team recovered a ball before the gigantic pile (inside which untold terrible things happen) forms.

The idea of a chain being stretched and seeing if the space was gained for a first down is that part of apprehension I appreciate in the game. So much of that is dependent on the official spotting the ball. You get frustrated at times (so do broadcasters/announcers) but often I find it amazing at how close and how right officials were anyways.

If the first down line comes to NFL stadiums and/or CFL stadiums, I think I will initially be dissappointed. However, I'm sure it will grow to being a think I didn't see living without. Instant replay impacting games is certainly something I agree with now and am glad was adapted to the game. It is certainly an example of using technology to improve that level of officiating, in spite of the fact, IMO, officiating is remarkably good already............
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:That's really interesting. I'm wondering whether the line would be visible (to players as well) while a play was in progress or whether it would be projected only after the play ended. Could be an improvement in getting tough calls and on-field decisions right.
My impression from the article is that it is intended to be visible at all times much like on TV. I wonder to what extent safety considerations pose a technical challenge to fully realising this innovation; even laser pointers, which have exceedingly weak output as far as lasers go, can cause permament eye damage with careless use and I'd have to believe the power required to make this line visible from the stands would be greater.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I'm reluctant to have the line in the stadium. I personally would rather see the technology be used to see if the goal line was broken etc.... Or which team recovered a ball before the gigantic pile (inside which untold terrible things happen) forms.

The idea of a chain being stretched and seeing if the space was gained for a first down is that part of apprehension I appreciate in the game. So much of that is dependent on the official spotting the ball. You get frustrated at times (so do broadcasters/announcers) but often I find it amazing at how close and how right officials were anyways.

If the first down line comes to NFL stadiums and/or CFL stadiums, I think I will initially be dissappointed. However, I'm sure it will grow to being a think I didn't see living without. Instant replay impacting games is certainly something I agree with now and am glad was adapted to the game. It is certainly an example of using technology to improve that level of officiating, in spite of the fact, IMO, officiating is remarkably good already............
I think at least initially they would still maintain the chains as the official metric for measurements, with the viewing line remaining an unofficial guide much as the one on TV is.

If they can get it working properly I would welcome this technology as a ticket buying fan. It's not always easy watching in person to see if the first down is reached, especially if you're seated at the opposite end of the field with the play advancing away from you. I wonder if they'll be able to work it so that the line only lands on the field surface and doesn't end up, e.g., running across the backs of the DL in short yardage situations.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: ... It's not always easy watching in person to see if the first down is reached, especially if you're seated at the opposite end of the field with the play advancing away from you. ...
No question there. Many fans see a ball thrown by Lulay that is a thirty yard toss but since it is out towards a sideline it works out to a 2yard gain.