Jersey names

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the longest name to be put on the back of a jersey.
I was wondering if anyone was cut from the team because of it LOL...Just kidding.
My favorite short name was *beep*. Of course it wasn't pronounced that way.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone knows the longest name to be put on the back of a jersey.
I was wondering if anyone was cut from the team because of it LOL...Just kidding.
My favorite short name was *beep*. Of course it wasn't pronounced that way.
Some NFL candidates here. For CFL, this tweet offers a claim that I haven't verified.

As far as cutting a player, on a related equipment matter, I recall this anecdote from a game broadcast in 1996: during the US team dispersal draft prior to that season, there was this one player selected (don't recall the name but I think it was an OL) who had a very large head. So big in fact, that when he reported to training camp, they couldn't find a helmet that fit him, even after consulting with personnel from his former US-based team. With no helmet he was unable to take any field reps, so they couldn't make an evaluation and were forced to cut him.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

For the Leos, you could go with a current Leo:

Hameister-Ries (Jon)

Or from a few years ago:

Haji-Rasouli (Sherko)
McKay-Loescher (Nautyn)
Ayanbadejo (Brendon)

Or if you're going old school:

Schwertfeger (Gary)
Kristopaitis (Vic)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Sj Roc

I found that twitter feed last night as well, and having spent some time going through his very amusing tweets, I think that one is a joke. Still, a good one.

Off the top of my head, I think you want to find hyphenated names like Luc Brodeur-Jourdain or Simon Charbonneau-Campeau, but I don't think either player has his full name on his jersey.

Cheers,

James
Yeah, I'd never heard that name before and didn't fully trust it but I was too lazy to dig any deeper.

How about CFL career consonant leader Duane Dmytryshyn?

I also recall a Wayne Drinkwalter (not Drinkwater, there's an L in there) who played here briefly around 1997/98 IIRC.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If I had realized my dream of playing in the cfl

I coulda been a contender

with 13 letters, no hyphen.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
QB Club 63
All Star

I think I have found which former BC Lion has the longest surname, but it's a moot point, because in his playing days (1958), there were no names displayed on the players' jerseys. Coming in at a whopping 15 characters long is Howard SCHNELLENBERGER.

Apparently, he played 3 games with our Leos in the 58 season (wearing number 76). He also spent some time in Hamilton and Toronto (where he first met his wife) before pursuing his coaching career. I'm sure some of you can rattle off his stats by heart, but I had to look them up. I must say he has quite an impressive resume.