Cowboys-Giants

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

The last two minutes. Very exciting. The CFL cant hold a candle to that. Th nx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It wasn't a bad game but I did think about the CFL while watching the last few minutes. The Cowboys led by 14. The Giants scored with over 2 minutes left and kicked off. It didn't take much for the Cowboys to run out the clock.

I'm looking forward to this Sunday Night's game. Steelers versus Broncos. A year ago, no big deal, IMO. This year, Peyton Mannings first game in a long time....
cat_daddy
Rookie

Living in the Soutwest US most of my life, I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan.
I was surprised by the outcome last night, especially due to our O-line woes (sound familiar?).

Romo was sharp, running game was good and D backs provided great coverage.

I have to agree with some of the CFL rules; I would love to see the 5 yard halo provided on punts . New kickoff rules were implemented to reduce the concussion fear, but does lead to mostly boring play.

Both leagues have their attraction. I'm still learning to appreciate the nuances of the CFL.
South Pender
Legend

I sure can't agree with those (quite a few) who brand the NFL boring. Although a long-time CFL (Lions) fan, I like CFL games, but prefer NFL games. Although I guess you could say that, with the field size and rules, outcomes can be very exciting in the CFL, but often an inferior team ends up winning. In the NFL, the notion of "any given Sunday, any CFL team can beat any other CFL team" just doesn't apply to nearly the same extent, and the superior team almost always wins. To my thinking, there's just too much uncertainty and too many random influences bearing on a game's outcome in the CFL. Some fans really like that about the CFL, but I don't. I'd much rather see the better team win, without extraneous fluky factors taking this outcome away.

The other thing that works much in the favour of the NFL is the officiating (with the temporary exception, perhaps, of the replacement officials now working there). Nothing drives me nuts more than seeing the truly appalling officiating that often occurs in the CFL and the unwarranted outcomes that occur because of blown calls. The regular NFL officials are certainly not purrfect, but statistically they just don't blow it as often as our CFL guys, and there seem to be more checks and balances to work against bad calls determining game outcomes.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

These debates happen all the time here and other places.

At the last Lions game I attended I was able to sit first row in a section I don't normally sit in. Right behind me was a teen-age kid wearing a Lions uniform who babbled incessantly about what a 'BUSH' league the CFL. And on many plays he was explaining to his mom how the NFL rule differed. Lots of times he wasn't even right. A lot of the people who talk a lot don't even know what they are talking about. When the wave got going on offence I made sure to let this seventeenish NFL is King, CFL is BUSH, kid know..."A true NFL fan would never do the wave when his home team is on offence" He was puzzled and asked "WHY?" I replied "If I have tell you, you don't know nearly as much about football as you think you do".

I love both leagues. CFL is my favourite but the NFL is a close second. I think there is a lot about football that lends itself to seeming more exciting. The punishing hits, long throws etc... But a lot of the other stuff is important too. For example, football doesn't have a three or four season space on our calendars.
Baseball gets its 'spring training' going in in late February and its going strong until October. Basketball goes October until June. NHL hockey? In theory camp should be starting in a couple weeks and the Stanley Cup was award in June. So in other words we get July and August without hockey. Now I'll admit, I turn on the NFL network and there is NFL news most days of the year but I think the shortened seasons of the CFL/NFL just make those few games they have, that much more important.

When the CFL schedules games heads up against the NFL, I'll almost always watch the CFL game. I think there are things that could be improved by both leagues but they are certainly my two favourite professional sports leagues........
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:The last two minutes. Very exciting. The CFL cant hold a candle to that. Th nx BB
You're absolutely right. That 2 minute clock killing victory formation kneel down was Thrill City.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL :thup: :cheer: :rockin:

NFL :popcorn: :juggle: :sleep:

:wink: