2012 BC Angels/LFL-Canada Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will you attend a BC Angels game this season?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:38 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I know that LK already brought this up, but how about an official season thread? As you know, over the years I've been trying encourage more discussion on local teams other than the Lions, with varying levels of success. There's been quite a lot of enthusiasm on the Canucks and to a slightly lesser extent the Giants, especially if the teams play well and enter the playoffs. There's less but still notable interest in the Whitecaps, especially when the team achieves success in the playoffs and wins a championship. Back in 2006 I highly praised and commended the Whitecaps for its double championship when the ladies first won the W-League championship, and that was followed by the gentlemen when they won the USL-1 championship: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9181. Ironically what seems to have the least enthusiasm are the other football teams even though this is a football forum is the apathy on the UBC Thunderbirds and the CIS, and Simon Fraser Clan. Having the Vanier Cup held in Vancouver last year may have peaked Canadian college interest somewhat. So that said, let's see how much interest there is in football of a third kind - women's football.

I stated already that 2006 was a great year for soccer in Vancouver with its double championship. With regards to women's football, there's already been several women's football leagues across America and some Canadian cities have teams such as the Montreal Blitz. Montreal won a double championship in football in 2010 as in addition to the Alouettes, the Blitz also won the IWFL Tier II Championship. So let it be a double championship for the province of BC in football as well! :cheer:

According to various articles, the 2012 LFL Canada Season is the fourth season in the Lingerie Football League. LFL Canada will feature four teams in four cities across Canada. For the 2012 season the League granted three new franchises: BC Angels, Regina Rage and the Saskatoon Sirens. The Toronto Triumph, who began play in the LFL's original U.S. league in 2011, will also carry over to LFL Canada; they have moved from the Ricoh Coliseum to the Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario.

On February 9, 2012, the LFL announced that Abbotsford, British Columbia, would be the next Canadian city to host a team in the League. The franchise will play its home games at the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre and will compete in the Western Division of LFL Canada. On February 20, 2012, the LFL announced that the franchise will be named the BC Angels following the results of an online fan vote. The decision for Abbotsford to host a team sparked some controversy, including expressed concern from at least one city councilor, as "Abbotsford is a deeply religious agricultural community." On February 22, 2012, the LFL announced that Regina, Saskatchewan would be the next Canadian city to host a team in the League. Home games would be played at the Brandt Centre. On March 6, the LFL announced that the franchise will be named the Regina Rage after an online fan vote. Six days later, on February 28, the LFL announced that Saskatoon, Saskatchewan would join Regina as LFL Canada's second team in the Wheat Province. Home games would be played at the Credit Union Centre. Upon releasing the Saskatoon Sirens' logo and colors, the league announced that LFL Canada was set at four teams for the 2012 season, with the league playing an eight-game schedule, still scheduled to end with the Canadian Lingerie Bowl the day before the Grey Cup.

The size of the field is 50 yards, with the end zone 10 yards in length. Other than the opening kickoff, there is no punting or field goal attempts. Offensive and defensive teams have seven players on the field. With no punting and field goal attempts, I guess there won't be a local female version of Lui Passaglia.

There's an official BC Angels website: http://www.lflcanada.com/bcangels/

The team colours of Blue, Lime Green, and White resembles the ;canucks:

Ticket prices range from $12.00 to $78.00:
http://lflcanada.com/bcangels/images/bc_arena_large.jpg
http://lflcanada.com/bcangels/tickets.php

Even though there are only four teams, there are only four games in total and two games at home. It looks like the league cannot afford to hold at least six games for a 3-3 home and home series so every visiting team can play at least once in Abbotsford.

The two home games held at the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre are:

August 25, 2012 - Regina Rage at BC Angels 8:00 PM
September 29, 2012 - Toronto Triumph at BC Angels 8:00 PM

The second home game has a conflict with Lions at Roughriders game, but since the Lions should easily demolish the Roughriders in that game anyways, then the Angels game should be much more exciting. :yes:

This older article talks about tryouts and training camp:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/linge ... story.html

I'm sure by now the team's roster has been finalized.

For the last decade or so, there's been a huge division and playoff rivalry between the Lions and the Roughriders. May the Angels continue to win the rivalry between BC and Saskatchewan by getting rid of both the Rage and the Sirens :cool:. And the Lions have still yet to avenge the 1983 & 2004 Grey Cup and 2003 playoff losses to the Argonauts. May the Angels start off the vengeance by defeating the Toronto Triumph for the Canadian Lingerie Bowl :beauty: and the BC gentlemen will follow that up with a championship of their own on the following night for a double Canadian football championship for British Columbia. :yahoo:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good luck ladies for a great and successful inaugural season! :thup:

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

For those of you who want to attend another football game on this coming Saturday, how about attending the inaugural Lingerie Bowl Canada I between the Saskatoon Sirens and the BC Angels. Kickoff is at 5:00 PM at the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre. Here's a game preview: http://www.lfl360.com/articles/lingerie ... on-sirens/

Originally it was scheduled for Sunday but they wisely changed it to Saturday to avoid conflicts between the WDF.

Go Angels! :cheer:
May they bring the first of two football championships to the Province of BC in 2012! :beauty:
祝你龍年行大運。
Spud387
Champion

No thanks.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

as I said in a previous thread on this topic

I wasnt ever planning to pay any attention to this, but when I turned on my tv on sat, the previous weeks game was on, so I thought I would check it out.

First of all, the lingerie aspect is a non issue. The lingerie is not the flimsy see through kind as it couldnt stand up to the game and there would be janet jacksons all over the place. As well, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of women that can be found wearing more revealing "clothing" at beaches and swimming pools and parks and even walking down neighbourhood streets.

Second, the football was actually pretty good. Saw a couple of catches that are not always made in the CFL. BC angels have quite the running back wearing number 8, forgot her name. There were some great catches, great runs, great tackles and great throws.

My only complaint is that the game is played in arena, but with different rules than the arena league. Would love to see these girls dressed proper for outside, playing a full 60 minute game, on a larger field, if not an actual cfl field.

anyone who's main reason for going to these games is the lingerie, is pathetic to say the least.

anyone who has no interest mainly because of the lingerie aspect, well, could be you are missing out on something as a fan of football, any kind of football.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to the BC Angels for being the inaugural 2012 LFL Canada champions and capturing the Lingerie Canada Bowl I with their 25-12 win over the Saskatoon Sirens!

:yahoo: :cheer: :rockin: :beer: :cool: :wave:

May this be a prelude for their male counterparts as well for a double football championship for BC this year! :yes: :beauty:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The trophy presentation! :wink:
祝你龍年行大運。