C. Johnson arrested by police then cut by Dolphins

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

According to Jay Glazer of the NFL network....

Chad "ochocinco" Johnson was arrested for misdemeanor domestic violence Saturday night. Bailed out Sunday afternoon and released by the Dolphins very shortly thereafter.....

Surprising. Certainly Johnson seems to need tv cameras and attention but this is one time he'd rather not have any. According to Jay Glazer, Johnson was arrested because he head-butted his wife in the face during an arguement. Not too sure how this would play out but the Miami Dolphins took quick action and released the vet receiver.

Personally I think it will take a lot of 'fence mending' by Johnson to earn another shot at an NFL job. I thought Vick would have trouble but after serving his time and rehabbing his image, he's back. Dez Bryant allegedly assaulted his mother and the Cowboys have kept him although owner Jerry Jones is apparently quite upset with him. My guess is its a bit late to find another slot for Johnson right now, especially while this charge is unsettled. No question Roger Goodell will probably send a clear message to Bryant and Johnson before the beginning of the 2012 season, IMO.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Narcissistic, histrionic personalities. Seems to be a number of them as NFL receivers. Prima donnas.

Chad Ochocinco. Dez Bryant. Terrell Owens. Randy Moss.

IMO they do a team no good. Too self centered. Too much baggage. Too much trouble.

Jerry Jones has given two of the above opportunities. I bet he was tempted by Moss and 85 at one time also.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If "the player" could catch on with the Seahawks I'm sure another team will come calling
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
If you are talking about me... I am not saying he is or is not guilty. I wasn't there and although he's a character, this seems out of place with him, IMO

But I'm assumming you mean, the Dolphins cutting him in terms of innocent until proven guilty? Jay Glazer said the Dolphins 'Security Person' is one of the most on the ball and proactive people. The Dolphins can't afford with all the other stuff to have this kind of a circus going on too. IIRC, Hard Knocks is filming Dolphins training camp. Its not like he's a young receiver with lots of years left in the tank. Their attitude, just cut him loose. Sends a message and gets this 'problem' out of their hair..........
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, I meant the Dolphins doing that not your post.

The reasoning is fair enough from a team perspective I guess but dangerous when it spills over to the average joe who gets fired from his job.

I prefer the team to let the justice system run its course.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Yes, I meant the Dolphins doing that not your post.

The reasoning is fair enough from a team perspective I guess but dangerous when it spills over to the average joe who gets fired from his job.

I prefer the team to let the justice system run its course.
Some guys come with baggage. Some guys get behavior clauses in their contracts. Some guys get a short rope. Sometimes teams know a lot more than the public. Some teams give guys with talent, and baggage, second and third chances.

First time offenders get more rope.

Ochocinco may well have been on a short rope, with a behavior clause.

The Patriots eventually gave up on Randy Moss. It seems eventually Moss thought and said he was as valuable as Brady, and should be paid as much. Hmmmmm

The Cowboys eventually gave up on Terrell Owens.

How many teams have given chances to Chad Johnson? Even if his wife head butted him, the domestic dispute could have sealed his fate.

It seems to me guys like the above named always take their baggage with them.

Dez Bryant seems similar in his approach to life.

You want the talent? The attitude comes with the person.

Just IMO ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Chad Johnson.

Arrested.

Cut.

Divorced.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Chad Johnson.

Arrested.

Cut.

Divorced.
HMMM, does sound like there maybe more to this story than just meets the eye. Regardless, IMO, the Dolphins did the right thing in cutting the player. Hopefully he'll learn and adapt should he get another opportunity to play in the NFL. I won't be surrpised if he does but IMO, it will take a bit of a cooling off of this issue and him attempting to repair his image. Maybe this kind of stuff wasn't needed at one time but I think it is now in this era of pro sports.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Apparently some of this has been filmed by the crew on 'Hard Knocks' the NFL training camp reality show. What I mean is Johnson coming in, apologizing to the coach, trying to patch things up etc.....

I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT excusing domestic violence but it seems like there is some underlying issues. Regardless, I think the Dolphins were right in cutting the player. I remember a organized crime boss in the movie "Payback" (describing a problem with the character played by Mel Gibson) , "I just don't get it and if you don't understand it, its best to just clean it up and cut it loose". I think thats what the Dolphins have done. Save the rehabilitated and comeback stories for another time and/or another team. This Dolphins team has had and currently has too much other stuff going on to deal with this too.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Apparently some of this has been filmed by the crew on 'Hard Knocks' the NFL training camp reality show. What I mean is Johnson coming in, apologizing to the coach, trying to patch things up etc.....

I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT excusing domestic violence but it seems like there is some underlying issues. Regardless, I think the Dolphins were right in cutting the player. I remember a organized crime boss in the movie "Payback" (describing a problem with the character played by Mel Gibson) , "I just don't get it and if you don't understand it, its best to just clean it up and cut it loose". I think thats what the Dolphins have done. Save the rehabilitated and comeback stories for another time and/or another team. This Dolphins team has had and currently has too much other stuff going on to deal with this too.
It sounds like the domestic violence runs both ways with Johnson and his soon to be ex wife. She may well have head butted him. Who knows?

Nevertheless the Dolphins are choosing to cut ties with a guy who has a history of very high maintenance. It is stuff like this that makes me of the attitude that talent with a me first attitude is not worth it on a team.

I would say don't even bring in these doubtful character guys as rookies.

Randy Moss. Terrell Owens. Chad Johnson. No championships for any of them, despite their gaudy personal numbers.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: .... It is stuff like this that makes me of the attitude that talent with a me first attitude is not worth it on a team.

......Randy Moss. Terrell Owens. Chad Johnson. No championships for any of them, despite their gaudy personal numbers.
:whs:

If any of the three Playaas do get a ring it probably will involved them stepping away from their personas and prior attitudes. If any of the three win a ring without changing, it will be in spite of because of, IMO.....

Apparently Randy Moss has been quite helpful and showing rather un-mosslike, leadership so far with the 49ners. I do wish him the best, of these three he's the closest to being on a possible championship calibre team, IMO........