Official Olympic Discussion Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My money would be on Melissa Tancredi
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2012 ... story.html
Whitfield was critical of how Findlay's team handled her training while recovering from a tear in her right hip.

"I should have shown more compassion," he said. Whitfield pointed the finger for Findlay's "completely mismanaged" injury at several members of her team, including her former coach, Patrick Kelly.

"Coach Pat worked tirelessly for her. That guy hasn't had a vacation in two years. I should have kept that in better perspective. I was defending my teammate, and in doing so, I swung a little too much."
Yes, I didn't like it when Whitfield trashed Findlay's support team, after her emotional last place finish at the Olympics. And I am not surprised to hear now from someone who would know that her coach worked tirelessly for her. It is a bit better that he now acknowledges that her coach worked long and hard on her behalf.

I don't miss the Olympics at all. I got caught up in the Vancouver Olympics. It was just a great party from start to finish. But for the Olympics in general, I am getting a bit jaundiced. Too much hype. Too much money spent. Too many prima donna athletes. I guess it is the same for people that don't like professional sports either. Something is out of balance when there are people starving in droughts in Africa and other places, and top athletes make more money than they could ever spend on necessities.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There were some outstanding performances such as Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Missy Franklin and others. I have trouble understanding why events such as synchronized swimming/diving and rhythmic gymnastics are included in the Olympics
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Shows you the evolution of things too. Jim Thorpe lost all of his olympic medals. Why? IIRC, he'd played some professional baseball in a semi-pro league. He was therefore considered a pro even though he'd never been paid for the sports he medalled in. Now Kobe Bryant plays and wins a medal in a sport he's made tens of millions of dollars in.... Go figure.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I have trouble understanding why events such as synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are included in the Olympics
With the addition of women's boxing in 2012, and women's ski jumping in 2014, there will be no Olympic sport for men only in those Games. But on the other hand there are still some women-only events such as rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming. Very sexist, isn't it? :bang:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I have trouble understanding why events such as synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are included in the Olympics
With the addition of women's boxing in 2012, and women's ski jumping in 2014, there will be no Olympic sport for men only in those Games. But on the other hand there are still some women-only events such as rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming. Very sexist, isn't it? :bang:
Ha ha

How about synchronized swimming for guys with lots of body hair? (Some forgotten comedian made a joke about that many years ago.)

I am not offended that guys cannot compete in synchronized swimming. And I am not offended that guys cannot play on women's sports teams, even though some girls play on high school American football teams.

Robbie, I think you are serious when you ask if that is sexist, and show the head knocking. It's in line with some of the other issues you raise. In terms of gender discrimination, I suppose it is sexist. But is a million miles from the scale of women being paid less for the same job as men, or denied some management jobs held for men, et cetera. So I am inclined to think your attempt to stir something up is greatly lacking substance, Robbie. It is a bit silly, and possibly offensive to people with real issues of discrimination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:How about synchronized swimming for guys with lots of body hair? (Some forgotten comedian made a joke about that many years ago.)
That was a Saturday Night Live skit with Harry Shearer, Martin Short and Christopher Guest (as their coach) in 1984. It was particularly topical at the time since SS had just been added to the sporting mix in time for the LA Olympics that year.
I am inclined to think your attempt to stir something up is greatly lacking substance, Robbie.
I agree; ever notice how you never hear Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson decrying the NFL's lack of black kickers?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What's there not to like in men's synchronized belly flop ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:What's there not to like in men's synchronized belly flop ?
Hey if I were an identical twin, I would win this every year!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

IMO, the sexism comment is a troubling one. By all means there is a lot more 'true' discrimination that needs fixing before we worry too much about male rythmic gymnastics.

I also applauded the change Augusta National has made over the past 10 years inviting non-Caucasian males and now even going all the way to inviting two FEMALE members.

Lots of fun and comments get directed to these organizations and a lot of it is deserved. However, there has been an identified need, justified through research, for 'womens' only clubs. Some women feel more comfortable in a women's only environment.

As a male with a female partner, there are times when I wish there were 'males' only clubs too. Sometimes its just nice to be in a place with just the 'guys'. I do hope our society 'evolves' enough that we may be able to return to having 'male only' clubs. I don't think these should be places of power or used to exclude women. I think some of the reasons why (not big ones like leering, harassment etc...) women may prefer a female only club are why men might like a similar 'men only' club. I love my partner but sometimes I just wanna hang around the guys.... Just my opinion I realize.

In sports, especially olympic sports, I still think we have too far to go in terms of accepting and appreciating womens sports to worry about excluding men. When I was in high school, field hockey was a females only sport but I think males are now playing it again in North America. Time takes care of a lot of these things. When enough men want to do rythmic gymnastics, hopefully they'll have that opportunity. I doubt they'll have to wait as long as women had to wait to get into Augusta..........
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't quite understand why we should laud Augusta for changes they should have made 50 years ago. There are somethings in life where it makes sense to have mens and womens only memberships. A women's centre could be one example where in many cases those places serve as a defacto resource for women who have been abused by men in some way. Golf doesn't fit into that category. Augusta deserves some credit for recognizing that they were on the edge of a proverbial SH!+ storm and finally pried the door open just enough to avoid it. It helps of course that one their major sponsors, IBM is now run by a woman who also happens to be one of the two women admitted. At the end of the day, the patriarchal attitudes at Augusta are really pathetic in this day and age. The change that they made was about money and politics and nothing to do with coming to the conclusion that the policy was simply wrong. No, I don't have a lot of respect for the members at Augusta. People who change because it is forced upon them don't really change. They just go underground with their attitudes.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I don't quite understand why we should laud Augusta for changes they should have made 50 years ago. There are somethings in life where it makes sense to have mens and womens only memberships. A women's centre could be one example where in many cases those places serve as a defacto resource for women who have been abused by men in some way. Golf doesn't fit into that category. Augusta deserves some credit for recognizing that they were on the edge of a proverbial SH!+ storm and finally pried the door open just enough to avoid it. It helps of course that one their major sponsors, IBM is now run by a woman who also happens to be one of the two women admitted. At the end of the day, the patriarchal attitudes at Augusta are really pathetic in this day and age. The change that they made was about money and politics and nothing to do with coming to the conclusion that the policy was simply wrong. No, I don't have a lot of respect for the members at Augusta. People who change because it is forced upon them don't really change. They just go underground with their attitudes.
Exactly.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 800aecec38

Closer to home the women of Marine Drive are barred by the old boys network from full access to their club.
Women lose battle of the sexes at golf club

Thirty-six women from the Marine Drive Golf Club have lost the final round in their court battle to allow both genders into the club's lounge for men only.

By The Vancouver Sun June 29, 2007 Comments (1)

Thirty-six women from the Marine Drive Golf Club have lost the final round in their court battle to allow both genders into the club's lounge for men only.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court of Canada said it would not hear the women's case, a move effectively upholding an earlier ruling allowing the private club's Bullpen lounge to exclude women.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just like Olympic results, it appears like the Tour de France is a tournament in which the results can be changed well after the event as the
USADA says it will strip Armstrong of 7 Tour de France titles that he won from 1999-2005 and ban him for life

If that's the case, several rivals will be very happy today especially Jan Ullrich of Germany who had to settle for second place three times but can now boast that he won three yellow jerseys.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I"m not quite sure that is correct either. He has had his own doping issues has he not. No point in stripping one alleged doper to give the title to another alleged doper. He was removed in 2006, just one year after Armstrong's last win. Are we to assume that he only doped in 2006 and was clean the previous years? That would be crap too. Is there anybody clean in sport anymore? This stuff is getting epic in its ridiculousness. It is why I have such a hard time finding credibility in events like the Olympics. The cheating and corruption just seems too wide spread.