Adam Scott fades down the stretch, loses the British Open

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/golf/ ... story.html
Scott started out on Sunday with a four-shot lead over the field and maintained that advantage well into the final round.

“I started paying attention around the turn, holes seven, eight, nine and 10, and I was obviously in a pretty good position but there was a long way to go,” he said.

“I think I played kind of accordingly to that. I hit a lot of good shots, hit a lot of greens. I left a lot of putts short right in the middle but felt I didn’t need to rush anything at the hole.

“I was just trying not to take any risks and keep hitting good shots, make pars, but that didn’t quite work at the end.”

Scott missed par-saving efforts from three feet at the 16th and eight feet at the last and said the hole that really cost him was the 17th.

“It all comes down to the shot into 17 for me that I’m most disappointed with,” he explained.

“At that point I’m still well in control of the tournament and if I hit a nice shot somewhere to the right of the hole I can go to the last with the lead still.”
Scott had a four shot lead with four holes to play in the British Open. He bogeyed the final four holes. Ernie Els birdied the 18th earlier, and that was enough for the victory.

The mental part of the game ...

“I started paying attention around the turn, holes seven, eight, nine and 10, and I was obviously in a pretty good position but there was a long way to go.”

“I think I played kind of accordingly to that. I hit a lot of good shots, hit a lot of greens. I left a lot of putts short right in the middle but felt I didn’t need to rush anything at the hole."

Left putts short. Being too careful. Trying to protect the lead, rather than playing to win.

“I was just trying not to take any risks and keep hitting good shots, make pars, but that didn’t quite work at the end.”

Trying not to take any risks. So often that just does not work, in any sport. It seems those chasing have all the advantage, nothing to lose, go for it. The leader tries to protect, gets too conservative, leaks creep into the game, and you get caught.

Sad for Adam Scott, but he just may need a more assertive attitude in competition, if he wants to win a Major championship.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The British Open is my favourite golf tournament to watch. I like the links golf. The Masters has its quirks including a limited amount of advertisements. But the British Open is my favourite. Watching Tom Watson struggle and finally lose his lead. I was pulling for him but alas he didn't have what it took that day. Lots of great stories (other tournaments do too). Like for e.g. the guy who engraves the names on the trophy engraved Ernie Els yesterday, just like his father (the previous engraver) did a decade earlier.

Els made an off the cuff comment about blowing off some thing he had to do in Canada (my guess? the Canadian Open). This spot on the calendar does cause problems for the Canadian Open. It also has a long history in the sport. But it doesn't have the same cachet that some tournaments have. I heard rumours on TSN that Els has decided to take a couple days off to celebrate but he will follow through with his commitment to the Canadian Open. Hope he does. I wasn't cheering for anybody. Scott or Els would have been people I was happy to see win.
Tighthead
Legend

Els is blowing off the pro-am, but is expected to still make it to Ancaster. I don't begrudge that. He wanted to celebrate with his family, and the win was somewhat unexpected at this stage in his career.

Ernie is a class act imo, and I was thrilled for him yesterday. This gets him back into the Masters and I would love to see him get a green jacket. His loss in 2004 was unusually heartbreaking - he played great, but Mickelson went ballistic on the back nine and ripped it right out of his hands.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes, happy for Ernie. As one of the commentators said, they've never heard a bad word spoken of him. Always a class act. His first words were of compassion for Adam Scott.

Hope he plays well in the Canadian Open and next year's Masters.

If Adam Scott had won it might have made banning the broomstick putter a little more awkward. I use the Ping B2. I don't think it being banned would necessarily stop me from using it in casual games. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Els is blowing off the pro-am, but is expected to still make it to Ancaster. I don't begrudge that. He wanted to celebrate with his family, and the win was somewhat unexpected at this stage in his career.

Ernie is a class act imo, and I was thrilled for him yesterday. This gets him back into the Masters and I would love to see him get a green jacket. His loss in 2004 was unusually heartbreaking - he played great, but Mickelson went ballistic on the back nine and ripped it right out of his hands.
Exactly, I don't begrudge him that either and being able to celebrate with the family. Certainly a class act and I hope to see him battle for other championships soon....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I liked how he commented on the Adam Scott fade. Scott might come out of this for the better in his game. I didn't see it but I have heard the TV guys speak of how some golfer in the lead hears the roars from the crowds on holes behind from a player following (used to be Tiger from behind who'd pull off the win) and let it hurt their play whereas on other days a player simply can lock it out and just do their thing.

I don't know what happened to this guy but I played in a best ball tournament in 1999 at Pebble Beach and our 3rd place prize (handicapped of course) has this Bobby Jones quote:

“Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course...the space between your ears.”

Adam Scott must have failed in that space for bogies.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Painful to watch Scott implode. He's not the first to succumb to pressure and certainly won't be the last
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Speaking of gender equality in sports, this has been a huge step for women and golf.
NEW YORK – For the first time in its 80-year history, Augusta National Golf Club has female members.

The home of the Masters, under increasing criticism the last decade because of its all-male membership, invited former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and South Carolina financier Darla Moore to become the first women in green jackets when the club opens for a new season in October.

Both women accepted.
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-fe ... -of-women/
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。