Inventor of electric football dies

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I suppose only older Lionbackers would have played this game or even remember it — I hadn't even heard of it until I saw this obituary the other day — but the inventor of the electric football tabletop game died last month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/busin ... at-87.html

Excerpt:
Norman Sas, Inventor of Electric Football, Dies at 87
By WILLIAM YARDLEY
Published: July 12, 2012

Norman Sas, a toy maker who transformed a vibrating sheet of metal into a thrilling and sometimes exasperating tabletop game called electric football, winning the devotion of boys from the late 1940s until simulated on-field action arrived on video screens in the 1980s, died on June 28 at his home in Vero Beach, Fla. He was 87.

His daughter Wendy Jones confirmed his death.

In the 1930s, an employee at a New York metal products company run by Mr. Sas’s father developed a device that propelled figures across a metal surface using vibrations created by a small motor. The company, Tudor Metal Products, first used the technology for car and horse racing games. But when Norman Sas bought the company with a partner shortly after World War II, he saw potential in applying the technology to football, which had become increasingly popular and was beginning to be televised in the New York region.

“He was looking for something to pick the company up because it was struggling,” said Earl Shores, a writer who interviewed Mr. Sas several times for a book he and a colleague, Roddy Garcia, are writing about electric football, titled “The Unforgettable Buzz.”

Mr. Shores said Mr. Sas may have also been drawn to football because of one of the frustrations of the technology: the vibrations tended to steer figures unpredictably, often into clumps that resembled a pileup at the end of a football play. The unpredictability — and the effort to mitigate it — came to define electric football as much as its tiny felt footballs, which were easily lost between sofa cushions.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

My mother bought me one of these electric football games in the mid'80's from Value Vlillage. It must have been missing some pieces. It was fun to turn on and here the motor hum. The pieces did vibrate with unpredicatability. You'd try to set stuff up and sometimes it would work but most often not. I would have loved to have an instruction book (I'm one of those weird men who read instructions and ask for directions et....) and been able to make sure I had all the pieces.

Then again, I sure wish Madden video games had been around when I was a teen. Me and my circle of friends would have wasted hours playing football video games. My favourite one at the time was a John Elway version that let you use a 'joystick' to throw the ball downfield. How you pulled back on the joystick and let it go, determined how far and where the balled ended up going....
Bosco
Team Captain

A friend of mine had the electric football game about 40 years ago and I remember it taking forever to set the "players" in place...and about three seconds to watch them all topple over.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I recall a neighbourhood kid had one of those electric football games when I was very young. It was kind of frustrating because usually the guys would turn aaround and go the wrong way, but it was fun.

When I got an iPad in 2010, I found this App called Super Shock football. I believe it was $.99 at the time. Now it is $3.99. It is a lot of fun and brings back memories. You can program plays O and D. You can nudge the players too which helps. Pretty awesome game.

The players move as if they were on that old electric game field. LOL

Some pix ...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I had such a game for a Christmas present and the problems of players going the wrong way or as Bosco notes - falling over were on most plays. My grandma worked at the Bay and I think mine was slightly dinted on the rail top and there was a deal on it. I don't recall keeping a lot of interest in it and friends might have tried it once and soon went onto something else.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I had such a game for a Christmas present and the problems of players going the wrong way or as Bosco notes - falling over were on most plays. My grandma worked at the Bay and I think mine was slightly dinted on the rail top and there was a deal on it. I don't recall keeping a lot of interest in it and friends might have tried it once and soon went onto something else.
Well from all the stories here, I don't feel as burned as I felt as a kid when I tried playing this game. Pretty funny how many here had an association with the worst game of football ever. :juggle: :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low